Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know better, but I got duped on a trade. I answered an ad with a decent price on a BH. The man looked like he had one foot in the grave, he couldn't walk, and from what I could see he and his woman needed the money worse than I. So I bought it without so much as looking down the barrel.

I put it in the safe months ago and finally got around to shooting it this past weekend. It turns out the barrel is bulged. It's nearly invisible from the outside, but there is a nice ring on the inside.

I've never had a BH barrel off. Is it hard to switch Barrels? Does Ruger provided this service? Suggestions?

It's Stainless. The action IMO is worth saving.

Last edited by Strider; 01/30/11.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
quite a while ago ruger switched a redhawk barrel for me. They were fast and much cheaper than any smith I could find. I would give them a call.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I contacted Ruger about a barrel change for a Blackhawk a few months back and they didn't seem to eager to do the work. let us know what you find out.

Last edited by S99VG; 01/30/11.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how hard the newer ones are put on. Years ago I took the barrel off an old 3 screw Super and it wasn't very tight. Used to be that Ruger would switch a barrel very inexpensively. Also you could send them a ratty gun for rebluing and get back something that looked better than new, at a really cheap price. But before doing anything see how it shoots as-is.....may work just fine.

Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Response:
Cost for installation: $85.00 for the barrel,$80.00 labor,$130.00 for finishing and $30.00 return shipping.
The barrel is "in the white" and has to be finish match polished.

Add another 30.00 to get it there.

I'm guessing finishing also includes site and extractor fit and installation.

If you're patient, you can buy a used one for that. I don't think that's far from some of the custom shop prices either.

Still, I can't see it as a paper weight. What a dilemma.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Strider
I know better, but I got duped on a trade. I answered an ad with a decent price on a BH. The man looked like he had one foot in the grave, he couldn't walk, and from what I could see he and his woman needed the money worse than I. So I bought it without so much as looking down the barrel.

I put it in the safe months ago and finally got around to shooting it this past weekend. It turns out the barrel is bulged. It's nearly invisible from the outside, but there is a nice ring on the inside.

I've never had a BH barrel off. Is it hard to switch Barrels? Does Ruger provided this service? Suggestions?

It's Stainless. The action IMO is worth saving.

Unfortunately where ever you ship it, it has to go overnight. That's expensive.

Depending on where the bulge is you might be able to get away with cutting the barrel back and re-crowning it. As far as the finish work goes, where it's stainless, were it mine, I would hit it with a green Scotch Brite pad, the kind you get at the supermarket. If done with a little care, it can produce a finish that beats the crap out of the factory finish and you can touch it up anytime. Save the shipping and find someone close too you. Shortening a Black Hawk barrel is an easy job.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
+1 to the above. Or give Bowen, Clements, etc., a call and they will likely have a takeoff factory barrel that they will sell cheap. Have a local competent 'smith fit it and you are good to go. Likely $150 all in.

Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately, it's already a 4 1/2". It would be lucky to come out 3".

I haven't found a local competent smith and I've been looking for a long time. It's a shame. Perfect location for one.

Samuel Adams

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Strider
Unfortunately, it's already a 4 1/2". It would be lucky to come out 3".

I haven't found a local competent smith and I've been looking for a long time. It's a shame. Perfect location for one.

If you can find a barrel, why not try it yourself? Tooling might not break the bank, and if it works you could maybe sell off the tooling afterwards anyway.

-R44

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 13 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.