Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I've got a delimma and want some opinions. I've got 2 Colarado camps I'm considering this fall in area 54 for an Archery Elk hunt. I was planning to hunt the week after Muzzleloader but the camp I am familiar with is already taken that week. I can hunt another camp during that week OR I can hunt the camp I wanted but during the actual Muzzleloader season (but with a bow).

What would you guys choose? I'm feeling like having the knowledge of the area might prove to make it worth it.

West Kentucky Boy
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The last week of the season alwasy puts you closer to peak rut. However, after being chased for about a month already ,the elk get a little harder to find. I don't think the ML season makes much difference. In the last few years that ML season has been really warm.Later usually means colder, which usually means th eelk move around more.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by N2MyWake
I can hunt another camp during that week OR I can hunt the camp I wanted but during the actual Muzzleloader season (but with a bow).

What would you guys choose?

I've hunted both ML and archery seasons the past 10 years or so.

All things being equal, I'd pick the week after the ML season, as already said, closer to the peak. And a lot of time hunting pressure drops off toward the end of the ML season as people pull out.

But it really depends on the number of muzzleloader hunters in and around the area you plan to hunt. If access is easy and there are lots of hunters, I'd definitely go the week after; if there aren't that many I'd consider hunting during the ML season. Are you sure the camp won't be taken the week of the ML season?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by smokepole
I can hunt another camp during that week OR I can hunt the camp I wanted but during the actual Muzzleloader season (but with a bow).

What would you guys choose?

I've hunted both ML and archery seasons the past 10 years or so.

All things being equal, I'd pick the week after the ML season, as already said, closer to the peak. And a lot of time hunting pressure drops off toward the end of the ML season as people pull out.

But it really depends on the number of muzzleloader hunters in and around the area you plan to hunt. If access is easy and there are lots of hunters, I'd definitely go the week after; if there aren't that many I'd consider hunting during the ML season. Are you sure the camp won't be taken the week of the ML season?

we hunted there the season before last and didn't see any other hunters (or hear) at the at the camp we know. It's supposed to be empty the week of ML this year. I'm really tempted because we know the area pretty well now.

The other area that we don't know, that is available the week after ML, is going to have by buddy and his dad hunting during the week of ML, and then us the week after (if we choose it). the downside is we haven't hunted this area before, but my buddy will and give us info.

decisions decisions....

West Kentucky Boy
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
we hunted there the season before last and didn't see any other hunters (or hear) at the at the camp we know. It's supposed to be empty the week of ML this year. I'm really tempted because we know the area pretty well now.

Well, my experience has been that things change year-by-year as far as hunters and hunting pressure, so you can't count on a place being empty just because it was the year before last. Especially if you can drive to it. Heck, I've hunted one area that's a three-mile hike in and had people camping there during the odd year. Unless it's private land, I'm not sure who you can check with to tell you it's supposed to be empty during a certain week.

The thing is, the same goes for your buddy's spot. You never know who's going to show up where.

I'd say it's a toss-up. If you know that two hunters (your buddy and his dad) will be hunting the ML season in the second spot, those elk will have been chased around for a week or so before you get there. On the other hand, it's always good to learn a new area just so you know more than one area for future hunts.

But, all things being equal, the week after ML is better, rut-wise.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I was going with a bow, I'd go as late in the season as I could....

We hunt MZ, but in the years we've hunted, I actually have yet to hear a shot anywhere. Of course we go into wilderness on foot, but not that far either...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Blackpowder pressure can vary a lot--it just depends on your little neck of the woods, and can vary year to year.

In one of my fav archery hunting areas I see a blackpowder hunter roughly once every two years.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
In one of my fav archery hunting areas I see a blackpowder hunter roughly once every two years.......

Probably not your typical hunting spot in CO.

A few items to conciser, just for a think....

What week will be the darker moon phase? Sometime elk get a little more vocal and less nocturnal during a darker moon.

Take a look at your hunting style, if you think you would like to hunt the big heard bulls 'with cows' take the last week. If you would like to stake out a couple good wallows and work smaller groups of elk, slightly pre-rut may be your option.

You can't make a wrong choice here, we're talking about hunting elk!

It is a little harder to keep meat earlier in the season.

Last edited by Orion_Prowl; 01/31/11.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Probably not your typical hunting spot in CO.

But......my we own a bit of land in both units 61 and 62--unit 62 is one of the most popular elk hunting NR destination units in the west. I still don't see that much blackpowder pressure when I'm up there.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunted 61 with a bow last year. You know how limited the tags are there. I had "my area" to myself, until the opener of the ML. First day, three or four ML'ers were in there.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N

Well, my experience has been that things change year-by-year as far as hunters and hunting pressure, so you can't count on a place being empty just because it was the year before last. Especially if you can drive to it. Heck, I've hunted one area that's a three-mile hike in and had people camping there during the odd year. Unless it's private land, I'm not sure who you can check with to tell you it's supposed to be empty during a certain week.

The thing is, the same goes for your buddy's spot. You never know who's going to show up where.

I'd say it's a toss-up. If you know that two hunters (your buddy and his dad) will be hunting the ML season in the second spot, those elk will have been chased around for a week or so before you get there. On the other hand, it's always good to learn a new area just so you know more than one area for future hunts.

But, all things being equal, the week after ML is better, rut-wise.

This area is a 5 mile horseback ride in. The area my buddy will be in almost that. We've had our share of other hunters in the flatops before. so far this area has been good.

West Kentucky Boy
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i bow hunt elk in co every year and usually hunt the first 2 weeks. some years i have hunted right before, during, and after the 9 day ml season, and saw only a couple ml hunters. i usually hunt 3 miles from where i park my truck, and often never see another hunter in a 24 hour period. it seems to me the farther one gets from a road, the less folks one sees. ymmv.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This area is a 5 mile horseback ride in.

Well, that does make a difference. My advice, I'd hunt the place you know best. They're usually bugling during the ML season. Last year, they really turned on about a week before the ML season, at least where I was.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
We weren't there last year but the year before the Bulls were vocal the first 3 days of ML season and then shut down from Monday afternoon until Thursday night they opened up again. Killed my bull on Friday morning. I felt like it was just getting good. They were workable that opening weekend though, we did have near opportunities.

West Kentucky Boy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (257Bob, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 257robertsimp, 71 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,347
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.