Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hbnac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Has anyone heard about Broughton barrels having problems. I heard that top gunsmiths like Gordy Gritters, Nat Lambeth, and Gary Bowman have stopped using there barrels and that Broughton has not been standing behind them.

Nathan Chesney
Hillbilly Custom Rifles, LLC
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It might be a good idea to verify before starting a rumor that could potentially ruin a great company. Why not contact the mentioned gunsmiths and get their opinion before posting here.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am willing to bet there are for more good ones then bad.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Plus one Eddie.
Butch

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Any barrelmaker can put out a bad barrel if they receive a bad run of barrel steel.

Now if they don't back their barrels up then they should receive some bad press imo. New tubes aren't cheap and neither are the 'smithing bills to screw 'em on. Not to mention the time and $$ spent trying to make a bad barrel shoot.

I finally received a bad barrel awhile back and the amount of time and $$ spent trying to make it shoot really put a new perspective on the term "frustration". Luckily the barrelmaker not only replaced the barrel, they reimbursed my smith to install the replacement barrel. The replacement barrel shoots fine btw.

MtnHtr

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Did you go on this, or any other forum, and start a thread, about your barrel maker, before you contacted them?

Last edited by DocEd; 01/30/11.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DocEd
Did you go on this, or any other forum, and start a thread, about your barrel maker, before you cantacted them?

Nope, I did PM a few others though on here and kept them updated. Now if the barrel maker would have told me to go fly a kite then I would have done differently.

MtnHtr

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"I did PM a few others, on here...." The operative word being PM!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
DocEd..good advice

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DocEd
"I did PM a few others, on here...." The operative word being PM!

Doc,

I agree, one really has to make sure it is the barrel and then give the maker the chance to make it right. In my case I documented everything along with pics and emailed the barrelmaker. Kudos to them, they were A+ to deal with.

I once received a barrel that was outta specs from another barrelmaker and they made it right too, A+ CS.

Not so with some other barrelmakers according to some on here, and I don't buy their barrels because of their bad experiences.

Same for stocks, received a few bad ones from a well known stockmaker, they made it right in every case. Not so with another well known company and they soon got outta the stockmaking business anyways (guess I was not the only one who received a bad stock).

I say give the maker the chance to make it right, and if you get screwed then move on and don't recommend their junk anymore.

MtnHtr

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Who was the barrel maker that gave you good CS?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I only have 1 Broughton barrel, but several of my friends have them. never heard anything but great reviews.
Only bad barrel's I have ever had were Pac-Nor's and they did not stand behind their's.
B

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Who was the barrel maker that gave you good CS?

I prefer not to say on a public forum. The reason is I don't feel it would be right if someone out there started calling them up (the barrelmaker) and started demanding a new barrel since they replaced mine. I made damn sure it was not anything else (scope, mounts, bedding etc) and consulted with my 'smith before I contacted the barrelmaker.

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Makes sense to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody gonna [bleep] up. It ain't happened to me yet.....but it prolly will crazy

But..... I don't make bbl's neither, hell, I can't hardly rake leaves. grin

Last edited by gunnut308; 01/30/11.
H
hbnac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
You guys are right.

My apologies!!

I should have not brought up this issue here.

Some of my best shooting rifles have broughtons on them, but I am fustrated dealing with them.

Nathan Chesney
Hillbilly Custom Rifles, LLC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know of 2 Broughton barrels returned for replacement in 2010. Although I personally have a Broughton #3 purchased 2009 that shoots consistantly 3/8" groups @100yards. I guess once in awhile someone is bound to get a bad barrel.

4 bug holes
[Linked Image]

Last edited by slg888; 01/30/11.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Well, you being frustrated is different than he said, she said.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I understand!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What caliber is your barrel? I got an 8 twist HV 6mm that is an absolute hammer. I got another 8 twist sitting here getting ready for a trip to the smith. What problems are you having? Who hung it? When did you get it?

Tim is a good guy and always calls back, when he has time. I forgot time zones and called him an hour before he opened. He answered when I realized my error. Said he had been there two hours working. Asked him a bunch of questions on tuning a load to his canted rifleing and what bullets guys were having the most luck with. 95gr VLDs were fighting me a bit. Not the guns fault. It was me being pig headed and not dropping burn rate. Rightfully he would not give me a combo to try, but did give me some helpful hints to get my brian engaged.

I firmly beleive if you can positivley say he left a bad barrel leave (which can happen) he will back it up and make things right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.