Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
WTF...who gets to take a screwdriver to a nice double gun before they buy it? Why would you expect anyone to let you adulter a nice rifle with a screwdriver before you bought it? Either the wood is correct or it ain't. LOOK! The answer is right there....no wizardry to it at all. Called fit and finish.

So says the man who did this... grin grin grin grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen plenty of 99 s with fit and finish that were not numbers matching that were better than numbers matching. I don't open up all of my guns and don't encourage it but with a good screw driver kit and an intelligent fellow, it's not a big deal... I would want to know before I bought the OPs gun...

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might could be that the point trying to be conveyed is being missed...
I assure you that I never asked about nor removed the buttplate or forearm before I purchased either one of those rifles. It really never concerned me. I could see that both these rifles are as they're supposed to be (right). I also assure you that the fella I sold these rifles to never asked "Do the numbers match" or requested to remove any parts prior to purchasing.
I'm not telling Don,or anyone for that matter,that he can't put screwdrivers to his rifles...any more than I'd tell him not to build a vault in a snowbank so that his rifles collect red rust. To each their own...Have at um.
Point being...you better know what your looking at...or your gonna get boned. Any idiot with a number stamp kit can stamp numbers. Is the fit and finish right? Seems like a foxnut would know.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might be that you missed the smileys...

But that also being said, I've only got 5 years into looking at used guns and Savages. To think that I or many others here have anywhere near the expertise of yourself, Fug, Jeff, Rick, or others is silly. Especially when looking at something like the original poster's question involving a special order rifle in a period where special orders were few and far between, AND when the stock looks refinished.

And on some of these odd rifles the fit and finish are still correct because they were sent back to the factory for more work.

In short.. ain't no harm in asking politley if they've checked the serial numbers, or if they'd mind doing so. Worst they'll do is say no. If they get angry, then they either have anger mgmt issues, or there might be a very good reason they don't want you to check the numbers. Jmho..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Loggah
I dont add much beauty when i'm in it either! grin looks like i got to put a little snake oil on the receiver,cant see that rust with my naked eye. blush

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!!! grin grin

[Linked Image]

DON mabey if you add a little snake oil toyourself you would cleanup and shine a little better smile grin laugh

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99

DON mabey if you add a little snake oil toyourself you would cleanup and shine a little better smile grin laugh

It does help with the signs of aging!!! laugh laugh laugh

Andrew
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Norm, I don't know if snake oil would help, maybe a tub full of nair !! grin nope nair wouldn't work either just be ugly and hairless then !!!!! grin grin Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
Norm, I don't know if snake oil would help, maybe a tub full of nair !! grin nope nair wouldn't work either just be ugly and hairless then !!!!! grin grin Don

LOLOLOL yea but Cheryl would still love ya laugh whistle

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nah. I didn't miss the smileys. I just don't use them very often. Do you not see me smiling? I am.
The wood has been refinished....how important is it that the wood be correct? It's a shooter. Question now should be: How's the bore?
The harm in asking about wood numbers at a show...I'm not keen on educating those stupid bastards. I don't need to show them that I know something. I am curious though as to how much they are willing to tell me that they think they know. That's usually good for a chuckle.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loggah, what is the caliber and barrel length of your rifle?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rick, Its a 250-3000 with a 22" barrel. Don

F
foxnut Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Jed,
Wow, I came to this board to ask the "experts" their opinion on the rifle in question. To answer your question, when I am looking at a Fox or other double I can usually, (but not always) tell if it is original config and finish. That being said, on the old Foxes the serial number is stamped on the barrel flats, receiver, trigger guard, forend iron, forend wood, and on the head of the stock where it fits into the receiver. There is no serial number stamped on the butt plate or the butt of the stock. No, I wouldn't ask to remove the stock for obvious reasons, but I would ask to remove the forend, look at the barrels, etc.

You made a very good point that guys will re-stamp parts and some wood work and finish is hard to tell from the original. All the more reason to want to confirm and get some input from the gang here. I am not as knowledgable on the 99's. That's exacly why I came here to see if anyone had ever seen a G with a cresent butt plate, I hadn't.

To all that posted feedback thanks for your help. Foxnut

Savage 99's, Fox doubles, and good bird dogs!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would experience a greater sense of relaxation if Savage never numbered their wood or buttplates.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My only tool for removing gun screws is an old rusty Kamp King boy scout knife. Never failed me. Anybody need their butt plate removed? grin

If the butt plate screws are frozen tight, just give them a shot of heat from a propane torch. That'll fix 'em. grin grin

When putting them back in, be sure to put glue on the threads to foil the attempts of future owners to remove them. grin grin grin

--Taken from gnoahhh's soon to be released book "Bubba's Guide to Kitchen Table Gunsmithing". Coming to a flea market near you.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.