Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4887462 02/01/11
K
Kaleb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
While visiting a friend of mine in MT this past week we started talking about takin a elk huntin trip. I started askin questions about boots and he likes a hiken type boot until it snows and then suggested the schnee's or white's for snow. Just kinda wantin to hear a little feedback on these from you fellas. Thanks.

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Kaleb,

For the past 4 years, I've been using Schnee pac boots for late season hunts here in the Rockies. IMO, they are they are the very best boot of their type on the market. They actually provide lateral support, the double layer tongue prevents the laces from forming deep grooves in the leather, fit & finish is superb. I've owned several different brands, but these are the best.

Jim

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had Kenetrek and Schnee pac boots. I like both but I favor the Schnee's a little more for no particular reason.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love my Schnee's when the snow gets deep and it gets down below 20 degrees. Nice and warm.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Hoffman's Monarchs hand made in Kellogg Idaho. Vey similar to Schnees with great customer service including a great warranty. Great boots for snow, cat hunting, mountain terrain elk, etc.

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
IC B2

K
Kaleb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thank you fellas! I was thinking the 13" ones but have no clue about this type boot. Do y'all run the taller 16" type?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use my Lowas until it's cold and snowy and then switch to schnees and I just got some Kennetrek cowboys. My Schnees are 10'' and the Kennetreks are 13''. I'm 5'9'' and I'd want to be quite a bit taller before I'd go with the 16''.

M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have worn schnees ever since my 2nd elk hunt. Where we hunt there are plenty of seeps,marshes and generally wet ground. Schnees keep my feet dry regardless. I have both insulated and uninsulated. As I have aged I find myself using the insulated more and more. I have a pair of the taller boots but quite frankly never used them. Gators do a much better job of keeping crud out of my boots. I have never felt that the schnees lacked support. I am not sure I would where them goat or sheep hunting given the steepness of the terrain but they definitely are up to the task of elk hunting. A big plus is they are quiet.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Thank you fellas! I was thinking the 13" ones but have no clue about this type boot. Do y'all run the taller 16" type?

I use the 13s with a pair of gators when the snows deep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kaleb-personally I am not a fan of pack boots when there's any amount of walking involved, which there normally is when elk hunt. That said, I wear my packs for ice fishing, and when I'm working geese and yotes very late in the year.

I'd enourage you to take a look at a pair of boots similar to the Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400. It'll keep you warm, work well enough on a pony and will give you excellent support.

Think it over.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the 13" Schnee's Hunters, and they are surprisingly comfortable to walk in even when there's little or no snow. I love them. Do get a extra set of the liners though, so you can let one pair dry while you wear the other ones.

K
Kaleb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks again guys. Mark I've looked at those boots after reading some of your posts about them. I plan on gettin some of those too.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have the HunterII's 13" high. I've had them for two seasons now, I bought them initially for wearing on stand when the weather got cold. Now I wear them almost all of hunting season. They provide great ankle support, and they aren't overly bulky like most pac boots. My feet have never been cold in them,5 degree morning watches, and -20 degree all day rabbit hunts. Definitely worth the money. Polypropelene liner socks under wool socks helps greatly. +1 on buying an extra set of liners,$35 well spent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not tried the Schnee's, but have been more than happy with my Whites. Their felt liners are about twice the thickness of other similar packs.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked the Schnee's so much that years back I started wearing their 16" Guide model with the ADV-Bob soles for hunting bears in the mountains in above freezing temps. I even modified a pair with corks for hunting in wet timber. They were like glorified mocs with enough ankle support for hauling a pack and enough height that I could easily ford most mountain streams. Cannot say enough good about those boots.

But, as I've gotten older and slower, I am now more prone to injury if I take a fall due to lack of ankle support while hauling a loaded pack. My knees are now weaker so I cannot recover as easily from a weighted off balance bobble. This is now forcing me to change gears and to limit my use of the Schnees for cold weather as a pack boot. YMMV.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weak Knees....Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400's, bad back same thing pass on the packs and you'll do well

rock on

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I agree with Mark. If you are walking, you will be better off with the Mtn Extremes. I own two pairs of Schnee's, they are great until you need to start putting on the miles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recall reading somewhere that you had knee troubles. This is where I am today, and dealing with this experience is all new to me. I appreciate your tip on the Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400's, I'll need to give them a serious look. Days of old I could run the mountains near barefoot. Days of late, the comfort and support of a properly fitted and well made boot is of extreme value to my overall well being.

Thanks smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gary over a the last decade or so I've had 5 knee surgeries, and have something like zero cartiledge in my right and 10 % left in my left so....I am very picky about what boots I ride.

Pre all this gack, it just didn't matter I could hunt and pack all day long in my Teva's. But not no mo.

IMO and IME packs aint for people putting on the miles.

Dober

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm in the same boat--except for the repeated surgeries. I'll turn 59 this fall and need more support for my ankles and knees.

I used to wear pacs all the time when elk-hunting in snow, at first Sorels and then Schnees. Still have three pairs of Schnee's--one unlined, one with removable liners, and one that's insulated with liners. They are great for really wet or cold hunting on fairly level ground, but for the tougher up-and-down I wear Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's. And when treated right they are pretty darn waterproof.

Have been wearing them for tougher hunting now for 2-1/2 years, and they are still very much good to go.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,882
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.