Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
natman summed up the issue as well as I've herad it explained.

I have a 1974 Remington 700 that has dropped the firing pin a couple of times when the safety was moved to the fire position. The gun was unloaded each time. The gun is clean, well maintained, and the trigger is just as it left the factory.

I'm still curious as to which direction I should be pointing my rifle if it ever fires when I don't pull the trigger. Up, where the bullet could come down and hit bystanders, or myself. Or down into the ground where it could fragment or ricochet and still injure bystanders. I'd prefer it to fire when I pull the trigger after it is pointed at a suitable target.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by natman

"There wouldn't be any problem if they followed The Rules of Gun Safety."

True enough. You should always treat your gun as though it could go off at any moment. That doesn't excuse making a rifle that actually does it.

Well said.

I�d like to add to your rebuttal to the argument that "There wouldn't be any problem if they followed The Rules of Gun Safety.". IMO there would still be a problem (and a big one), but no one and nothing would be injured or damaged. I don�t want to own or be around a rifle that goes �Bang� when the safety is released, period.

When I bought my first Rem M700 (used), it was under recall for the trigger problem. I didn�t experience any failures and didn�t want to � it got sent it back for the fix, which Remington performed at no cost to me. My S&W manufactured Walther .380 had a similar problem in that when the hammer drop safety was engaged the pistol could go �Bang� if a round was chambered. While I never saw the problem myself, that pistol was under recall and it also went back to the manufacturer to be fixed.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks guys, now I understand the problem better. One more question, if I haven't had an issue with my rifle all these years, can I presume that my rifle is unaffected, and can be left alone?

I also agree that of all the arguments saying this isn't really a problem if you keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction is the lamest. You do that regardless as a fool proof precaution against killing someone, but it would still unrattle me pretty good if it happened out in the field, to say nothing of blowing a shot at a nice animal if it did that just as you were loading a cartridge into the chamber and closing the bolt getting ready to shoot a deer or something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Glacier_John
One more question, if I haven't had an issue with my rifle all these years, can I presume that my rifle is unaffected, and can be left alone?

Not really. It isn't a question of individual examples of the trigger being defective; it's a weakness in the overall design. Your rifle may work perfectly now because there's no sand/grit/detritus in the right place in the trigger at the moment.

If that changes all bets are off.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Seriously, why won't Remington redesign the trigger?

They did. In 2007 with the X-Mark trigger.

The X-Mark also fails, and I have seen it first hand. They should completely change the design. While they are at it, they should ditch that BS bolt release lever too. I like Ruger's design; it is simple, safe, and open so nothing can get trapped...

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Seriously, why won't Remington redesign the trigger?

They did. In 2007 with the X-Mark trigger.

The X-Mark also fails, and I have seen it first hand. They should completely change the design. While they are at it, they should ditch that BS bolt release lever too. I like Ruger's design; it is simple, safe, and open so nothing can get trapped...

Or you could really simplify things and just buy a Winchester M70. Or a Sako.

Tom

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am not a fan of Remmys...so you have a point.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
What is the easiest fix outside of sending it to the clogged up Remington repair shop. Who makes an aftermarket replacement trigger for a 700 that doesn't use the same basic/flawed design?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the easiest fix outside of sending it to the clogged up Remington repair shop.

Just what does Remington do to fix them? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brinky72
What is the easiest fix outside of sending it to the clogged up Remington repair shop. Who makes an aftermarket replacement trigger for a 700 that doesn't use the same basic/flawed design?

http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9
http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php...=24&selectOpts=1&products_id=196

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If I liked the rifle and wanted to keep it I'd just get the Timney and be done with it. Excellent trigger for the money.

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For other i replaced my trigger 2(ish) years ago...

I found this on ad different site...

http://www.ada.ru/Guns/remington/Jewell/manual_en.htm

I will most likely replace the trigger on my son's this year...

So,how is the new rem Trigger?

Or should I just go with the Timney?

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have over 15 721's, 722's, 725's and 700's (vintage '62-'10), most of which have the older trigger/safety (bolt locking and non-locking) styles and never had a single problem even though all have had their triggers adjusted using the instructions that used to come with Mod 700's.
If the rifle is never pointed at anything you don't want to put a hole in, it doesn't matter if it even HAS a safety.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have over 15 721's, 722's, 725's and 700's (vintage '62-'10), most of which have the older trigger/safety (bolt locking and non-locking) styles and never had a single problem even though all have had their triggers adjusted using the instructions that used to come with Mod 700's.
If the rifle is never pointed at anything you don't want to put a hole in, it doesn't matter if it even HAS a safety.

I get and agree with your first paragraph, but that second one doesn't make sense. If a gun goes of just closing the bolt, that's not a good thing, even assuming the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

Last edited by Glacier_John; 02/01/11.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I hate to rehash this old saw but a few simple questions. My brother-in-law has a Rem 700 SPS 30-'06 he bought 3-5 years ago. Never had issues with the trigger or safety but is concerned nonetheless with all the bad press. He want's to buy a new none Remington rifle. I told him to get his checked by a smith or if that doesn't satisfy him sell it and buy a Ruger. How much of a deal is this to fix the safety issue with the 700. New trigger, adjusting the existing one? what? Never truly looked into it as the one 700 I had was fine and I sold that for other toys already.

The new Remington 700 that I just bought has the X Mark trigger, so buy a new Remington because the so called non existent problem has been fixed.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The X-Mark also fails, and I have seen it first hand.

Please expound. What happened?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much of a deal is this to fix the safety issue with the 700. New trigger, adjusting the existing one? what?

If the original trigger is replaced with a trigger using a different design (X-trigger, Timney, Jewell, Rifle Basix, etc) the problem goes away.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Video of X-Mark Pro trigger failure;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-F0ysIbCGo

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He would have still been able to kill a critter with that broken trigger had it fired when the safety was clicked off.

Benefits of the old that folks miss completely.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Video of X-Mark Pro trigger failure;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-F0ysIbCGo

Well, it would have been far more accurate to say that the X-Mark Pro trigger has its own problems. The way it was presented makes it sound like the X-Mark is subject to unintended firing, which is clearly not the case.

Last edited by natman; 02/02/11.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.