Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've posted this on another site....hope nobody minds?

As a member of the .17 Caliber Twelve Step Progam, I'm still at times tempted by the siren song of the .17. Mostly, I can just look the other way and in a few minutes come to my senses. The problem with this is I never know when the urge may strike..such is the nefarious nature of Seventeen Addiction.

Today, it was a simple trip to Scheel's Sporting Goods in a search for some 221 Fireball dies that led to my most recent backslide. Not finding any dies, I found myself wandering down the used gun aisle. A curious little fluted stainless barrel bekoned...time to look closer. I recognized it as one of the neat little Remington 700 LVSF's that have been discontinued for several years. I picked it up and remembered what a well balanced rifle they were. I glanced at the sales tag, expecting it to be chambered in 22-250, 7-08 or 308. The 'caliber' section of the sales tag read: .17 Rem.!

Time slowed to a crawl. A Sales Associate asked in a distant, hollow voice: "Can I help you with something?" I heard a disembodied voice that sounded remarkably like my own, saying: "I'll take this."

The rest is a bit of a blur. Paperwork was done, folding money was exchanged and I was on my way. There's a new Scheels t-shirt that also came home with me...they must have been giving one away with a gun purchase, I assume? Damned if I know....I was deep in the bottle of 'Ol Seventeen by that time and sometimes the memory isn't so clear after such a mindbending experience.

It's only been home for two hours and I've already test fired it, established the seating depth with three different bullets and mounted a 12X scope in some Davidson bases and BKL rings. The barrel is soaking in some Wipe Out right now...the stock is off...and I've got the Pro Bed out and ready to do some bedding. The trigger needs adjusting, I'll need to restock my supply of .17 cal. brushes and get some IMR 4320 powder.

So here it is...a classic fox hunting rig with a classic scope combo. If anyone can identify this fixed 12 power scope, they've got a great memory. Most have never seen one like this or knew they were ever available.

Like Ralphy's Dad asked him in 'A Christmas Story': "What brought you to this lowly state????"

I gotta' get to one of those meetings...fast!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice snag...love the 700 LVSF platform!Rings look a tad high...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I love it too but those rings........... sick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice snag Al.

Wondering why you asked on the stock weight when you've got one in hand? Only note I could find was 1 lb. 13 ozs on one I had that was bedded, forend rasped/filed to smooth out the "finger grooves", channel opened for a #5, pad replaced with a thin 1/2 incher, and a fancy camo paint job.

My 10 twist Shilen likes AA-2230-C if you have any, for the 20 V-Max, and H-414 for 29 Kindler Golds.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TFF laugh

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I could slum one of those with no problems, in fact I would buy one if I saw one. But I'd have to get my neck stretched for those rings.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
Nice snag Al.

Wondering why you asked on the stock weight when you've got one in hand?

Al, this deal just gets weirder and weirder. A pal has one of these stocks for sale and called to see if I was interested. I posted the question on stock weight and an hour later I was at Scheels holding this gun in my hands. Twilight Zone music playing softly in the background.... shocked

The rings will get replaced by something more appropriate when the time comes. These were on hand and gave me a chance to quickly check the p.o.i. per the bore sight. Plus, I throw one of the spare 36X's on for load work and then change the optics around when it's time to go hunting. I'm not much for factory barrels, but generally if factory 700's shoot to within a few inches of the bore sight @ 100 yds, things aren't aren't too screwed up.

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
that is nice.....most don't care for the fore-end of that stock but I don't mind it at all...matter of fact I have one sitting here waiting for a barreled action to stick in it....although I have been toying with the idea of dropping my 80's blued BDL 223 Sporter into it.....might work out.

Here's a pic of my 17 Remmy...Sako AI sporter in a McMillan Hunter with a 4-12X Leupy....gophers hate it..:-)

[Linked Image]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rig. Rings are a bit HiGh. I betcha you could straddle the stock and shoot lights out. Range report expected

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Enjoyed the read.

I'd have probably snatched it up too. The LVSF configuration just makes sense...dropping it from the catalog , on the other hand...didn't.

IC B3

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it is Remington. They are the masters of not making sense.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good snag Al. Once you are bit by the 17cal bug you can not be cured. Please get some Talley LWs for it, LOL and the scope appears to be a Bausch and Lomb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nice snag Al. Looks just like mine.

Hard to live without a .17 centerfire. They're cool...

Travis

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice work Al you won't be dissatisfied.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KDK
Well, it is Remington. They are the masters of not making sense.

Yes........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have to say I've never quite understood the insistence on having the scope as low as possible.... confused -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
S
Al, I am with you on this. I have been making the move to higher rings some mediums and some highs depending on the stock angle. But find not having to scrunch up to get into position to shoot to be much nicer and more comfortable. I have also noticed what is comfortable to shoot on the bench may still be to low for me in some field positions. We must be in the minority, cause everyone seems to want the scope bell riding right over the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's mostly related to that Old Wives Tale about 'cheek weld'. wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Always wanted a 17 Rem. A few years ago, I went to several gun shops looking for one, and they all kept arguing that I wanted a 17 Rimfire, chambered in a Remington. Finally settled for a 204.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Talley mediums on it:

[Linked Image]

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 18 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,089
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.