Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gulo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi everyone. Gearing up for reloads for my .300 Savages.

In this case i'm loading lighter bullets (125-130 grains) for 'yote and deer. I've had some good advice on loads already, thanks.

So my question right now, just to clarify, is: Are the fast modern powders safe in my 99's? I have a 1950 EG and a 1953 R.

For instance, my .300 Savage die kit from Lee comes with some load recommendations, and included in there are a number of recommendations for both the H 4198 and IMR 4198 powders (apparently not the same, even though both owned now by H.) These are very fast powders producing some higher velocities, but of course they don't tell you if they were tested in a 99!

Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited by gulo; 02/03/11.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the powders are safe for the cartridge, they are safe for the 99. The powder mfr's won't list anything who's pressure goes higher than the SAAMI standards, and the 99's are all easily capable of withstanding that.

As always, work up from minimum loads to the max since every rifle IS different.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To specifically answer your question:

Yes.

As to powders I've found to work well in the Model 99 in .300 Savage... I've tested IMR3031, IMR4895, IMR 4064 and IMR 4320 behind a 150 grain bullet and found all of them work pretty well.

With lighter bullets, you can naturally use a faster burning powder like IMR3031, but I would be VERY suspicious of the use of any powder as fast as IMR4198... even with the lightest .30 caliber bullets (usually 100-110 grains).

All of the IMR powders mentioned are actually "OLD" powders which have been around for many, many years. There ARE some "new" powders, particularly by Hodgdon and other manufacturers with which I'm not familiar.

Buy a good reloading manual and BELIEVE what it sez. Error on the side of SAFETY and you can't go wrong. And as Calhoun sez, "work UP" loads. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

gulo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I felt the same about 4198... suspicious. Figured I might go more middle of the road.

Lyman lists Varget as performing best in the .300, but seems like everyone and his dog up here wants this powder and it may be a pain in the neck to get on demand, so i may save myself some headache ahead of time and get one of the alternatives like 4064 or 3031.

So here's another question. You work up your loads, yes, but what other signs do you use besides the gas leak evidence and flat primers and all that do you get that the load is too hot before it blows in your face? Or are those signs enough?

Thanks again.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gulo
I felt the same about 4198... suspicious. Figured I might go more middle of the road.

Lyman lists Varget as performing best in the .300, but seems like everyone and his dog up here wants this powder and it may be a pain in the neck to get on demand, so i may save myself some headache ahead of time and get one of the alternatives like 4064 or 3031.

So here's another question. You work up your loads, yes, but what other signs do you use besides the gas leak evidence and flat primers and all that do you get that the load is too hot before it blows in your face? Or are those signs enough?

Thanks again.

those are two many, way to many guns are blown apart,mostly from mahco, or stupidity sick mad

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gulo

Thanks again.

I don't run max loads out of my 99's, just don't need to. But if I'm pushing a powder that I question or is new on the market, or want to push the max, a chrony is a must. Watch the velocity as well.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (222Sako, 257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 264mag, 64 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.