Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Flinch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Talking to another member here brought back memories of one of my elk hunts a couple of years ago. I located a big herd of elk in the thick pines. Several bulls were bugling and there were elk everywhere. I couldn't get a clear shot through all the brush, so closed the distance to 200 yards. A rag horn bull finally stopped and stood in a small clearing and started bugling. The elk were quickly walking into their bedding area, which is so thick, you can't crawl through it. I took a dead rest against a tree and put the cross hairs on the point of the near shoulder. He was quartering slightly towards me. I hit the switch and sent a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tip on its way at 3,200 fps out of my 7mm mag. The bull dropped so fast, I thought I missed as the herd thundered off into the dense pines.

I later hung him and skinned him. I found the perfectly mushroomed bullet in the front shoulder meat. The bullet had gone in about 3 inches and stopped. It didn't hit any bone, but stopped in the shoulder meat. The bull was dead at the shot and didn't even twitch...AT ALL! No blood shot meat, nothing, just a dead bull. All the organs were perfect, no broken bones, nothing. Strangest thing I have ever seen with a bullet to date. I still have the bullet. It weights 107 grains. Go figure, but it didn't blow up like all those "other" ballistic tips do ;o) So what are some of the strange things you have all seen first hand? Not hearsay, but actually experienced. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Flinch: More than once I've seen bullets, 270-130 7mm139 06-150 turn 90 deg. up, down, AND horizontal.

A few years back I shot a doe 1/4ing toward me and shot her on the point of front shoulder. At the shot she dropped straight down in the front and pushed herself into the brush. Didn't go far. When I examined her the bullet had turned 90 deg. completely penetrated the chest and broke the other shoulder, bullet stopping under the hide. I didn't understand why she acted the way she did till I saw why.

JWALL

My Favorite Bumper Sticker

VEGETARIAN Indian Word For Poor Hunter

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In 1984 we had a huge storm that started opening day of elk season, and lasted four days. By that time the critters had poured out of the hills onto what was normally winter range.

My buddy and I--also snowed out--went out back of our ranch on the BLM ground in the P/J and sagebrush flats. Buddy jumped a herd, killed a bull, and I popped out of the trees as the elk were barreling across the sage.

A little raghorn was running flat out and slightly quartering. With the crosshairs behind the last rib I squeezed off just as the bull turned his head to look at me, and he tripped and went down.

The Sierra 270 cal 150 gr Bt hit the bull right in the eye.
The bullet "slipped" into the eye socket, popping out the eyeball, and apparently rattled around in his brain, busting the skull plate but not exiting.

There wasn't a bullet hole to be found in the bull, just his intact eyeball hanging out........Honest to gawd......

He also hit the ground so hard he busted a rib next to his sternum.

I also have some strange bullet failures, but we won't go there....... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I saw a bullet kill something once...strange...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Several times when I knew the shot was good,the bullet veered off it's path before it got to the animal resulting in a clean miss.Must have been bullet failure.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Flinch
Talking to another member here brought back memories of one of my elk hunts a couple of years ago. I located a big herd of elk in the thick pines. Several bulls were bugling and there were elk everywhere. I couldn't get a clear shot through all the brush, so closed the distance to 200 yards. A rag horn bull finally stopped and stood in a small clearing and started bugling. The elk were quickly walking into their bedding area, which is so thick, you can't crawl through it. I took a dead rest against a tree and put the cross hairs on the point of the near shoulder. He was quartering slightly towards me. I hit the switch and sent a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tip on its way at 3,200 fps out of my 7mm mag. The bull dropped so fast, I thought I missed as the herd thundered off into the dense pines.

I later hung him and skinned him. I found the perfectly mushroomed bullet in the front shoulder meat. The bullet had gone in about 3 inches and stopped. It didn't hit any bone, but stopped in the shoulder meat. The bull was dead at the shot and didn't even twitch...AT ALL! No blood shot meat, nothing, just a dead bull. All the organs were perfect, no broken bones, nothing. Strangest thing I have ever seen with a bullet to date. I still have the bullet. It weights 107 grains. Go figure, but it didn't blow up like all those "other" ballistic tips do ;o) So what are some of the strange things you have all seen first hand? Not hearsay, but actually experienced. Flinch

I'd bet you broke his spinal column from impact....

Bullets can do weird things for sure. Of course I have seen really strange things with arrows too... Even had one on video years ago, dont' know where that tape is anymore...but showed the angle of the arrow in super slow mo headed for the heart, and best we can tell as the arrow hits the deer moves its leg a hair, and the arrow exits out the back end of the liver... BIL shot one once from a tree stand, hit behind the foreleg in the lungs angling down... exited forward out the top of the neck.... who knows how...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Causing a bunch of otherwise reasonable guys to scream and yell at each other over the internet about which bullet is best comes to mind...laffin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I once shot a large (@200 lb)eight-point wt buck with a 140 grain BT out of my 7 RM at about twenty yards. The deer had stopped broadside to me with only his head and neck clear. I centered the right side of his neck and he went straight down, ended up upright on the ground with all four legs folded under him and his horns pitched forward and stuck in the ground. I left him like that, waiting for my partner to show up, I wanted him to see how fast the deer had dropped. While I was waiting, I noticed a little spot of blood on his left shoulder. There was a little bump there that I picked at with my knife until I dug the Ballistic Tip out. Cleaned up later, it weighed 70 grains. It had travelled from the center of his neck on a 90 degree hit and somehow ended up under the skin of the off-side shoulder.

Shooting hot rod .45-70 loads with the 400 grain Speer FN we'd get straight through and through penetration of the core, but the jacket sometimes found in some pretty strange places in the deer. I think they've toughened that bullet up some.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by sgt217
Causing a bunch of otherwise reasonable guys to scream and yell at each other over the internet about which bullet is best comes to mind...laffin

+1

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by sgt217

+1

+10 smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my estimation the famous MAGIC 6.5 Carcano military round that Killed Kennedy and wounded Connally without a doubt!!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
5-6 years ago i shot a cow elk at about 250 yards. she was broadside and standing still. rifle was a m70 classic s/s in 300wsm. bullet was 180gr failsafe. bullet entered immediately behind the front shoulder and exited out her throat. elk ran maybe 100 yards and tipped over. bullet penetrated thru to the opposite shoulder, then out the throat. wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a whitetail buck behind the shoulder with a 150 grain Core-Lokt out of a .35 Remington lever gun. It was a clean kill and the bullet disintegrated. Later my taxidermist told me he found bullet fragments up around the ear. They sure did some traveling to get up there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was a Conservation Officer I investigated a couple of instances where charging black bears were killed by hunters in "self defense".

In both cases, the bullets apparently missed the charging bears, but then, in a valiant effort to save the person who fired them, turned around 180 degrees in mid air and then hit the bears squarely in the rear end. I would be very interested in hearing an explanation of the physics involved in this phenomenon.

Here is one of the vicious creatures as I was beginning the autopsy:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/03/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Flinch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I suppose someone could have been trying to shoot the antlers off the deer or shot a rock next to the deer to "scare" it and the bullet splattered fragments. Who knows, but weird stuff happens.

A taxidermist I use, had a nice Canadian bull moose he was mounting. The antler paddles had about 20 9mm bullet holes in them. I guess the locals up in that area like to shoot the antlers full of holes, so that nobody will want the bull. The guy that shot it thought the bullet holes looked cool, shot it and brought it home.

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The first time I went caribou hunting I took my .338WM and was shooting 200gr ballistic tips loaded to 2900fps. The bullet worked fine on the first bull, but on the second one the entrance and exit wounds were on the same side! The bull went down like he was struck by lighting though.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot a bull elk In shoulder, broadside shot with a 180gr NBT out of a 30-338, about 50 yard shot.
When we where cutting up meat I found the green tip from the bullet against the pelvis bone.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
similar to JWALL, I had a 7mm bullet do a 90. Shot a doe 1/8ing toward me, hit the point of the shoulder, bullet broke the shoulder deflected up into the neck somewhere, maybe even the brain and did not exit. When I dressed it, vitals were untouched, and the treachea was already severed way up near the head. Deer dropped in its tracks, so might have hit cns or brain itelf. Never found the bullet. It was a factory loaded 150 grain Sierra.

Salmonhead
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A necropsy with an axe?........I'm loving it grin

Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
When I was a Conservation Officer I investigated a couple of instances where charging black bears were killed by hunters in "self defense".

In both cases, the bullets apparently missed the charging bears, but then, in a valiant effort to save the person who fired them, turned around 180 degrees in mid air and then hit the bears squarely in the rear end. I would be very interested in hearing an explanation of the physics involved in this phenomenon.

Here is one of the vicious creatures as I was beginning the autopsy:

[Linked Image]

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
My dad shoot a cow this year during muzzle. Fourty yards, board side, went in behind should on rightside and we found the bullet in the hind quarter on the sameside. Bullet was totally intact and could pass a new bullet.

WITH GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.