-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey all. I'm new to the board and need a little help.

I just drew a Wisconsin fall bear permit after 8 years of trying.

I'm looking for a bear guide for Zone A that runs hounds. I did a search here with no luck so I thought I'd post up for some help. I've only been able to find one guide on the internet so far. I contacted him and I'm currently wating on a list of references from him so I can make some calls.

I'd would love to contact a few more guides, though. I have some friends also doing some calling around and talked to a co-worker that is active with the local SCI chapter making some calls.

Thanks in advance for the help.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Google Thornapple River Outfitters, Ladysmith WI. My son and I got a couple nice bears 4 years ago.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Roundoak! I'll check them out.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do you want to run with dogs or bait?

I know the guy that runs Little Alaska Outfitters. He hunts in Zone A and B.

I'm trying to dig up the contact info for you.

He will work his tail off for your and WILL get you on bears.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I failed to mention it was a hound hunt.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
PMd you

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am looking for a hound hunt. Thanks again Roundoak. I'm calling Thornapple today.

Thanks Tzone. I'll try and look them up on the web.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Try looking here, join while you are at it. Likely you will be encouraged to do so anyway.

http://www.wbha.us.com/

FWIW I have taken bears with the Jump River Guide Service. One in 2002 and one last year. '02 was a book bear. Last year not as big.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Yoop. I have looked on their website and even sent them an email asking for some help finding a guide. I think I will join up.

I saw Jump River on the web during my search but for some reason didn't remember seeing that they offered hound hunts. I'll look again.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good luck moosedog, I'll be hunting in zone C this year

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot a bear once too.........

and yes, I'm the man.............
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Take full advantage of your experience. Find someone that will take you summer hunting. Its catch and release at its best. If you can make it on a Saturday, most any of the hunters with decent dogs should be able to tree one or two. Lots of bears lots of fun. Many will show you a good time without any thought of your money. Leave some for dog food or bait anyway. As you get to know what is going on, you will begin to appreciate their dedication and investment into the sport. Buy a ticket and go to the convention in Stevens Point in April.

Be warned, its serious fun. You may end up selling your boat and golf clubs. Many good guys running bears, you can make lasting friends.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.

Roundoak, I talked to Dave for quite a while. He seems like a great guy. Definitely considering him.

Jaydub, good luck to you, too. Your first bear this year?

Yoop, I'm giving Jump River a call today. All of the guides I've talked to so far seem like really nice guys. All of them have either requested or demended that I come and train the summer. That was one of the things I wanted to do anyway. I can see doing it a couple of times.

Good idea on leaving some dog food money. I'll remember that.

If the WBHA convention doesn't run the same weekend as the Deer & Turkey show in Madison, I'll try and make it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave Proden was recommended by friend who hunts with his dogs in the UP. It was a great recommendation. Should I ever get a tag in zone A again, Dave will get a call.

The suggestion to run with the dogs in the summer is good advice. I am fortunate to do that three or four times each year with my pard and his crew.

Good luck.

Wayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.