Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1234567
Strange, but the same thing happens at yards sales. Several years ago, we had a yard sale and I wanted to sell some sports equipment that I hadn't used in a long time.

I priced them at yard sale prices, and everyone wanted me to take less. After a few customers tried to get me to come down, I doubled the asking price, came down to for what I originally wanted for it, and sold every item.

Bingo,that is my Gunshow policy.Funny thing is that I still sell lots of stuff cause people know I can be haggled down.When folks ask me about lowering the price . I ask if they want my bottom dollar or my haggle price.When they ask what is the difference????I tell them my bottom dollar is as cheap as I will go.If we haggle,you will never know if I sold for my bottom dollar !!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I always like the guys who paid close to MSRP for a rifle and scope at the local gunshop, and then two years later want to sell the combo at the "normal" everyday street price of a new rifle and scope........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And don't want to separate them....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I looked at one yesterday that a guy didn't want to separate. He wanted $100 above the price of the rifle for scope and mounts (Bushnell Sportview and old Weaver rings). I didn't buy it.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

How much extra over the price of NIB are you willing to pay someone for having taken the time to "break-in" the gun, work up a good load, and find the best factory ammo for that specific gun ?

Typically, they tell me that it takes about 500 rounds to "break-in" a new gun.

Finding the best load may take more.

Count the cost of the ammo they shot and their time...

IC B2

Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

How much more than NIB should you be willing to pay for the custom bedding job they did, the trigger job, and the special features they added ?

And the story about the trip to Montana for elk and bear ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally LOVE to deal with the seller who has a medium-to-high pricetag on their scoped rifle, and can't resist trying to justify the high pricing by bragging on the value/cost of the scope: "And, by the way - that's a $300 scope on there."

I almost always pull out some large-denomination bills, and tell the seller:
"GREAT ! I'll take the rifle - but you can keep the scope. I already have one for the rifle."

(and then shut up & watch them........... laugh )

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

With rare exceptions, I don't have any luck offering to let the dealer keep the scope on a used rifle in return for a discount on the price of the gun.

Again with a few rare exceptions, don't think the dealers have even offered a whole dollar discount to let them keep the scope.

When making such an offer, have had the dealer raise the price of the gun because of the work to remove the scope from the rifle.

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As mentioned ... depends on the rifle. In Australia, Ruger No1s hold value due to difficulty in sourcing them, particularly certain chamberings. Many second hand No1s even of 10-15 years vintage are selling at new prices ... but with perhaps a $200-$300 Leupold on top. Ruger 96/44s are now THROUGH the roof! People are asking and getting double what they paid, Winchester BigBores in 375Win ... double what they paid. Don't mention SMLEs ... compared to say 5 years ago ... x4 to x10 what people used to pay ... much of which is thanks to the UK and a resurgence in restoring wall hangers which got a lot of rifles parted out so that now entire matching SMLEs are at a distinct premium. Funnier yet ... WSSMs were worth nothing even new. Now that a few wildcats are floating about here like the 44WSSM/458WSSM/375WSSM, price has risen even though the rifles are being parted out.
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 02/05/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Local gun shop sold a new S&W Bodyguard to a couple. They went to the range and shot less than a box of shells and brought it back saying they just didn't like the way if felt.
Dealer said he could only give them 60% of the cost, he needed to make 20% and it was now used so it had to be listed at, least a 20% reduction below a new one or it wouldn't sell.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hammer1

How much extra over the price of NIB are you willing to pay someone for having taken the time to "break-in" the gun, work up a good load, and find the best factory ammo for that specific gun ?

I think (hope) that you forgot to include the grin - right?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Even some private seller are guilty of it. I love my Savage Rifles, but I am not going to pay $150 over what they sell for new. Why ask $350 for a basic Savage or Stevens when they sell for $199-$250 new?

Last edited by csam; 02/19/11.

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is like real estate. Everybody has an inflated value in their mind, even though the market is lower.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hammer1

How much depreciation for reduced barrel life?

Jim

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 47 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.