Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4898643 02/04/11
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The coldest weather in 120 years of record keeping is what the NOAA broadcast on my weatherband radio is reporting. Cold weather -- for me -- triggers a desire for a steaming plate of pancakes.

I eat flapjacks perhaps a half-dozen times a year, this morning they sound appealing. A Short stack with real butter, toppings to be determined. Syrup is fine, but the taste of honey - warmed by the 'cakes is tough to best.

Must be a 'cake-house 'round here somewhere.

Not much to do with Gunwriters (as I posted on the wrong forum), but hey, butter one up!

Last edited by Mako25; 02/04/11.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I eat pancakes way more than 6 times a year but a cold morning makes them sound even better. Maple syrup and don't forget the peanut butter!

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We've got a Diner in town that serves a pancake on a turkey platter, and it is hanging over the edges!

They bring it out with HOT maple syurp, and slathered in butter.

Have to have one of these several times a year.

Belive me, it's ALL the pancake you want at one time! (grin!)

Virgil B.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I enjoy pancakes (and among other character faults, it bugs me have them called anything else). The thing that I cannot understand is the quantity that some people can consume and the speed with which they do so. Every time I am with a group and pancakes are the food of interest (little Dave Scovill there), the scene always plays out the same. The pancakes arrive. I butter them. I apply syrup. I pick up my fork and notice that everyone else's plates are devoid of pancakes with only a sticky residue of syrup to hint that the pancakes ever even existed. I am always going to remember to watch and see the process by which the pancakes disappear, but forget each time. My inclination is to believe that people just give a big snort and suck the pancakes up their noses in one fell swoop.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
We've got a Diner in town that serves a pancake on a turkey platter, and it is hanging over the edges!

Virgil B.

Same here - Moon's Cafe in downtown Boise serves a monster pancake, dang thing looks to be 12" across and thick in the middle. It's all I can do to eat just one and I rarely do that, usually the dog benefits from the take home portion. wink

A place called Donnie Mack's Trailer Park Cuisine used to serve a real good oatmeal pancake but I haven't been there in a couple of years so don't even know if they still serve breakfast.

As a general rule, if anyone is out looking for good pancakes, stay away from IHOP.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Make mine Buckwheat with real butter, home-made plum jam and a big glass of fresh, whole milk.

Never cared for maple syrup, but love maple sugar and maple candy.

Besides, you have to have fuel onboard to "Ask the Gunwriters"! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pancakes work fine but my family prefers corncakes (a pancake with half flour/half cornmeal).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sourdough buckwheat(better after the 4th day) butter and Black Strap Molasses............
Soirdough so when you start, pancakes every day.
I hate "cakey" pancakes, too dry.......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
5sdad; I like hotcakes the best, followed by flapjacks and then pancakes. Tried griddlecakes once and they were just so-so.

I mean if you can say so-so about a food that I love... smile

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 02/04/11.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buttermilk pancakes drenched in real butter topped with chunky homemade apple sauce and maple syrup. There's got to be chunks of butter to bite into along with the melted stuff. Mmm... My wifey also makes banana pancakes that are good for a change.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful tablefare, but I have a sugar crash about 4 hours after downing a plateful. I'm better off if I don't eat at all than when I load up on pancakes.

1Minute
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Virgil B.

I don't care if you call them pancakes, hot cakes, flap jacks or griddle cackes, I love them all. I like thin pancakes with real buttermilk, I like them with cornmeal and corn kernels in the batter, I like silver dollar and medium size, but not the really big ones you talk about, I prefer melted butter and maple syrup, but honey, berry syrup or plain fruit preserves is good to. Of the just-add-water, cheating mixes I like the Snoqualmie Lodge mix the best. I grew up in the LA area of California and I remember Dupars had the best pancakes, though my Dad's made from scratch with real buttermilk were the best on earth. Did I say I Love Pancakes?

John

Last edited by Glacier_John; 02/04/11.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I like them made out of Jiffy corn muffin mix with honey.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You ain't lived 'til you've had sourdough pancakes. Slathered in local homemade or storebought "Steen's" syrup.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
When Krusteaz first came out,it revolutionized back-country pack string cooking. Still not bad.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Krusteaz is good, close to a tie between it and Bisquick. I brought some sourdough starter back from Alaska for my Dad in 75, he kept it alive and used it for decades until he moved to Spain in 1997. Sourdough pancakes are great.

I forgot to mention, I only use real maple syrup. My brother Colin lives in Vermont and keeps me well supplied with Grade A medium amber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buckwheat pancakes and liver pudding. An acquired taste, I enjoy them today. However when I was six, and was offered "pancakes and pudding" for breakfast, I found it to be the cruelest of jokes.

Last edited by MadMooner; 02/04/11.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not so sure that you didn't have a better handle on it in your younger days. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Buckwheat pancakes and liver pudding. An acquired taste, I enjoy them today. However when I was six, and was offered "pancakes and pudding" for breakfast, I found it to be the cruelest of jokes.
No thanks. I could see pancakes and bread pudding, but that would be a bit redundant. Like 5Dads said, your initial reaction was right on.

Last edited by Glacier_John; 02/04/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
French toast is where its at....

Thank me later.....

and yes, I'm the man.............
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.