Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Con
These are the specs as provided by the Australian importer ... just waiting on final pricing.

New 3x vs old specs 3x
Actual Mag. 3.4x v 2.7x
Length 10.3� v 10.3�
Obj. Tube Len. 2.95� v 2.95�
All OD and Length Dims are the same
Glass MC4(VX2) v MFGL
Adjustment Coin Click, Finger Click, M1, Target, CDS v Friction
MOA Travel 80 v 100
Field View 30 v 43
Eye Relief 3.9� v 3.9�
Weight 8.7oz v 8.7oz
Reticles All Electroform, Includes custom reticles v 5 (Dot, Leu-Dot, CPC,Dup, X-hair)

Erector VX-II design v Old Ball Pivot
Main Spring Dual v Single

GaryVA ticked off all the pluses as I see them. That it can be mounted extraordinarily low is a real plus when jump shooting game in thick brush. If I had a 416cal rifle, this would be my first choice as presenting low mounting, good FOV with enough magnification to make it as handy at 25 yards as at 200 yards. Hopefully the simplicity will translate into ultra reliability just like the 2.5x Leupold. As it is it will now probabaly be placed onto my 358Win as the mount spacing struggles with a 2.5x scope. This scope will also have a place for someone hunting in brush for smaller game ... be a great fox whistling scope mounted on a 223Rem where shots can be from shoelaces to 150 yards.
Cheers...
Con

I would prefer to have an actual 3X magnification with a wide angle lens closer to a field of view of 40 ft. It is certainly possible. Now, to wait and see what it is like. The 3X scope I ordered is for my my 358 winchester on a mauser action. Matt

Last edited by Eldorado; 02/04/11.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by erich
With half the FOV on the bottom and and one less X on the top end I can see no need for it over the 1x4x20. Went the 3x Weaver years ago and it didn't. Hold a candle ti the V-4.5. For all you car buffs I can tell you never drove a Golden Hawk or a supercharge Avanti.

Erich

Don't know what technique(s) you use if moving through cover, such as follow-ups, where you may need to jump shoot game at close range. But I can offer a tip reference your 1-4x20:

Assuming you use a traditional low carry technique, where the butt stock is in your shoulder pocket with the barrel slightly down to keep your sights/scope just below your field of view, so that you can keep your head up to use your natural 180degree field of vision to identify your target. Once your target is identified and you raise the rifle to your eye level, you keep both eyes open. Test this in a typical low light heavy cover situation with your scope set at its lowest 1X setting, and test this at a 3X setting. If you have normal vision to make use of the exit pupil, you will find that the 3X setting actually has some advantage over the 1X setting. The 3X setting will have better resolution in the low light and make for an easy target aquisition while keeping both eyes open. It will not overwhelm and cut into your 180degree natural field of view, and it works pretty darn well. When you go to the low 1X setting, you'll tend to look only through the scope which acts like blinders, and you'll loose some low light target resolution due to the lower magnification. In addition, if the game is wounded and you are obligated to take a shot if presented, you do not need to spend time fiddling with your scope if the fleeing wounded animal pops out of cover a couple hundred yards down range.

Timing yourself on a fixed target, in fair light, at a known location and distance can give you false feedback. Trying to clear a patch of woods during a follow-up while in heavy cover and low light, where the target may jump up just about anywhere, you may find different results if timed. In such a situation, don't cut yourself short by wearing blinders where you are only looking through the scope. Make use of your full 180degree field of view.

As for the 1-4X20, it has a short mounting tube length same as the 4X. Here is an example using my modified M70 416Rem. It uses a mounting system that allows straight up scope mounting with an unobstructed loading port. The distance between the front face of the front ring and back face of the rear ring is exactly 5.5". The 3X is a perfect match and a better fit on this rifle than any of the other offerings.

[Linked Image]

Later smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/04/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Personal experience is the best teacher. Had a 6x42 on a couple Mod.70 FWTs and never could warm up to them even tho a 6x36 seemed great and the 1.5-5 seemed better. Then I placed one-6x42-atop a Nula. I just did it out of curiosity, but for me it was a bingo moment.

Stock shape, LOP, weight combined with balance? Don't know the why, just know it works.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yup I like the 6X42 I have one on a NULA .308 and it's the cat's azz smile...3X not so much

Lefty C

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I may like the straight 3x with a Leupold dot even more on the Nula, because of the less noticeable wiggles when shooting offhand with a light rifle. Off the bench most anything works.

Addition: In the wide open spaces the 6x42 would be my choice. For most of my woods time here in the East the 3x may be the winner. A different horses/courses decision.

Time will tell....

Last edited by battue; 02/04/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Upped the magnification and downsized the field of view. Hmmm.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Royce
I think scope magnification is one of the larger non-issues that gets nit picked to death here- Other than knowing of lots of people (including me)that have missed shot opportunities for having a variable turned up too high, can't recall scope magnification being an issue in failing to take game. Scope reliability, often a huge issue. People just have a fairly large range of personal preferences and they all seem to work, from the guys that hunt with straight 3 powers to the guys that like 14X for whacking an elk.
I just never got the idea that there was some moral high ground in using one end of the spectrum ( low power vs. high power) over the other end.

Fred

This sounds very logical to me....scopes get put to various uses by lots of people for lots of different things....mix in that not all of us need glasses,and some do,and not all have the same eyeglass prescriptions, it ain't tough to figure why opinions on scopes vary so widely.

The only subject that matches scopes for differing opinions,is "The Best Elk Cartridge"....I try to refrain from discussing either....pointless with no finite result..... frown

I don't believe in "perfect elk cartridges" anymore than I believe in perfect scopes....

There is one thing that the new 3X Leupold will likely NOT do, that a variable may........break.

Especially on a hard kicking rifle.......That, alone,makes the purchase worthwhile smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/05/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have no need for turrets, ranging/hold over reticles, or enough magnification to see the fleas on an elk at 600 yards.
If you like those features on your scopes fine. I plan to get a Leupold 3x with either the post & duplex or #1 reticle. If the post & crosshair reticle is available I may get that.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.