Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Recently I sold a cabin in Northern MN. It was time. I had 5 deer mounts up there and wondered where to put them. I already had 3 nice mounts in the house so I thought long and hard. I thought about giving a few away, to a hunting lodge retaurant, to my nephews and then came to this. Every time I look at each one it reminds me of all the details of the hunt I got them on. They mean a lot to me and probably little to anyone else. So I have a drywalled garage and I hung them om the wall toward the top short of the ceiling. They look great and remind me evry time I use the truck for work or pleasure.
Thought I would put this on the 24 Campfire because I bet there are a few hunters wondering about the same thing. One of my better decisions. Buckfever1

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A bit of advice,

Keep an eye on them, I have a friend that did the very same thing and his got those little beetles in them and lost gobs of fur.

He tried gassing them a few times but while it worked short term the beetles always seemed to come back.

He was told it was because they were in an outside environment.

Hope his situation was just HIS situation.

Good luck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
same deal without the cabin. My wife cringes if I think of more than my biggest over the mantle.. She makes no demands, and is the girl of my dreams. The excess mounts are in the garage, and I like that situation too... I did sneak a euro mount that I did of this year's 10 in the dining room.... I know it didn't slip under her radar screen. Why would I want more... she encourages me to get out and hunt as much as I want....A lot!!!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You should see my sons room.

I got plenty of mounts with no room to put em, so my son wants em all in his room..

Lets see I got 2 whitetail in the living room, and he has 3 whitetail, 1 elk, 1 pronghorn and 1 bobcat in his room...problem is I have 1 more whitetail in the freezer to get mounted and I dont think I can get anymore into his room.

I need a bigger home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, it can be a logistical problem. The first 3/4 of my hunting activity was all about mounts and few if any pictures. The last 1/4 is all about pictures and few if any mounts.

I have dispersed some of the herd over the years to get to a manageable size. I have some mounts hanging in places other than in my house. My nephew opened up a "sportsmens" bar and I supplied him some of the decor. Black Bear, Antelope, Mule Deer, two Whitetails, Elk and assorted antler mounts, plus a Mountain Goat. (would not give him the goat at first because of tobacco smoke, now the state has banned smoking)

Donated a Black Bear, Elk and two Whitetail mounts to the Museum of Natural History at my alma mater, UW-Stevens Point They rebuilt them into full body mounts.

Now don't laugh - I donated a Moose mount to a local Moose Lodge.

Had some mounts in my cabin, but were stolen...got one back.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My favorite mount.

[Linked Image]

and yes, I'm the man.............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cool droptines

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Big_Shtick
My favorite mount.

[Linked Image]
sick

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
While being a taxidermist, and a hunter in IA, I am fortunate to get P&Y's every year. Unfortunately I live in a small house, so I only have one mount, and soon to be another. My motto is that it only gets a shoulder mount if it was bigger than the previous. My first was a Net 155 8 point, and my soon to be mounted whitetail scored gross 181.

So, all of my 140's and 50's get antler mounts. I still see the antlers, and they take up minimal space. And, the wife likes them.

I wrap them in leather, and throw them on a oak plaque. Looks classy, and many can fill the walls.

If anybody wants pictures, let me know.

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jolintaxidermy
While being a taxidermist, and a hunter in IA, I am fortunate to get P&Y's every year. Unfortunately I live in a small house, so I only have one mount, and soon to be another. My motto is that it only gets a shoulder mount if it was bigger than the previous. My first was a Net 155 8 point, and my soon to be mounted whitetail scored gross 181.

So, all of my 140's and 50's get antler mounts. I still see the antlers, and they take up minimal space. And, the wife likes them.

I wrap them in leather, and throw them on a oak plaque. Looks classy, and many can fill the walls.

If anybody wants pictures, let me know.

joe

Yes, we want pictures! You can't have big bucks and not post pictures of them. smile Post 'em up.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whats wrong with mine??????????

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think deer horn mounts on a plaque look about as good as a shoulder mount, and they don't take up near as much space. Can have a lot more in a room without looking too crowded.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lived in a place for a while, where the big elk antlers simply wouldn't fit. Just the antlers on a wall plaque. The garage had decent wallboard up on it. I surrounded the antlers with maps of the area I hunted, and a few photos of the hunt. It looked pretty cool for a couple of years, then we moved to a house big enough for them to be inside... Nice!

Am getting quite a few deer antlers around the house now as well, with me and one son hunting... And some bear rugs, and the coyote, etc... Looking for places to stash some of them, without discarding them. Might need to return to the garage for some. Why not?

One fellow I knew, who hunted Africa a lot, donated many of his mounts to the local college, where I believe they're still on display many years later.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite mount.

[Linked Image]

Shall we thank you later? wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i had all of my mounts in the house until 2 years ago. i had a picnic shelter in my yard that never seemed to get used much. i closed it up and made my own man cave. cabinets on one side for all my reloading stuff,hunting stuff and gun tools. filled the rest of the walls with mounts. it has heat and air ,so its the same as being in the house. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like that! I have a 16x20 ft concrete pad that used hold my dog kennels. It would be great to build something like that on it. Very fine work!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SKane
My favorite mount.

[Linked Image]

Shall we thank you later? wink
Now would be a great time..

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Deer mounts are like women.
All that counts is the first one and the last one.
Everything in between don't mean chit.

I would hang the drop tine buck in my bathroom - that way I would have something to look at while I was a spanking it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Daniel_Boone
Deer mounts are like women.
All that counts is the first one and the last one.
Everything in between don't mean chit.

You obviously haven't had sex with anything but your hand for a looong time..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i had all of my mounts in the house until 2 years ago. i had a picnic shelter in my yard that never seemed to get used much. i closed it up and made my own man cave. cabinets on one side for all my reloading stuff,hunting stuff and gun tools. filled the rest of the walls with mounts. it has heat and air ,so its the same as being in the house. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

That's a pretty sweet setup. I like it.

Brett
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.