Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Well, despite the fact that I swore that I wouldn't buy another Savage 99, except a .30/30 W, after I bought the 99EG .308, I managed to convince myself otherwise. I saw a 1946 EG in 300 at a local shop. The rifle was in extremely crispy condition except for numerous rusted areas that were in contact with someone's hand. Unfortunate to say the least. Nonetheless, other than the rust, the rifle is 100% original condition throughout. Additionally the seller was a gunsmith who had disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and lubed the action. Bore is like new. Soooo, I had to take it home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looks pretty good from here!

Every Savage lever gun deserves a good home.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw one of these at a gunshow today. $1195 was the price. I thought to myself how much some forum members here would enjoy that price wink

X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Lightfoot,
Yes, the wood is the high point of the rifle and that is what shows the most in these pics.
The good part about the rust, if there is one, is that I'm not going to be afraid to use it. The balance and handling is exceptional. Definitely a shooter rather than a collector.

boltman,
It's amazing the ideas that some people have about value. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and keep moving. That goes for all makes and manner of firearms. I bought this one because the price was adjusted because of the rust, but also because it was still as issued. It seems kind of hard to find them that are not drilled and tapped.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
Lightfoot,
Yes, the wood is the high point of the rifle and that is what shows the most in these pics.
The good part about the rust, if there is one, is that I'm not going to be afraid to use it. The balance and handling is exceptional. Definitely a shooter rather than a collector.

boltman,
It's amazing the ideas that some people have about value. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and keep moving. That goes for all makes and manner of firearms. I bought this one because the price was adjusted because of the rust, but also because it was still as issued. It seems kind of hard to find them that are not drilled and tapped.

whats the ser no ,if you will ,ihave one from 46 at 4468xx

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
norm99,
This one is ser # 4274xx.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
I now have a wanted post in the Classifieds to see if someone has some ammo, brass and dies for 300 Savage that they don't need and would like to sell.
By the time the weather breaks, I hope to be able to take it to the range and check her out.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 2-die fl set of RCBS 300 Sav dies that
came with a rifle I recently bought. I already had
dies for that caliber.

PM me your mailing address & I'll send them to you...no charge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
look at there!!! What a guy!!!

Andrew
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
I have a 2-die fl set of RCBS 300 Sav dies that
came with a rifle I recently bought. I already had
dies for that caliber.

PM me your mailing address & I'll send them to you...no charge.

Holy Smokes! Thank You!!!! I'll PM you and see if I have something that you need!

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
norm99,
This one is ser # 4274xx.

Getting hard accurate mfg/ship dates on war era rifles is tough. I have 427,0XX lettered as shipped sometime mid '45. Without accurate production data for those years it's hard to say but possible your's might be a '45 vintage rifle and if not '46 as you say.

X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Bull,
I just used an online Savage 99 dating program so your letter is probably more accurate. This may then be a late 1945 rifle.

I was just looking around at Savage history and I saw that Savage moved from Utica in 1947? This rifle is a "close to the end" Utica rifle.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got a few boxes of .300, one Savage box.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curb appeal! Good looking walnut is always a drawing card. If you didn't bury yourself in the purchase cost, you did well.

Come to think about it, if I were were only 65 years old and my bore was still mint, even though I had a few apparent rust stains that were easily removed from my metal, I figure myself to be solid shooter with "killer" potential in any hunting environment. wink

Last edited by olgrouser; 02/05/11.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
lauren,
PM sent, thanks.

olgrouser,
It's funny that you say that. This morning I was looking at the 99 and thought " It is 2 years older than me and yet, even with the rust damage, it's in a hell of a lot better condition than I am!". I wish I would have aged as well! LOL!

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
The Savage was my birthday present so now I'm off to dinner!

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
XLTFX4,

Glad to make it REAL for ya! Welcome to your Savage addiction support group.

Between my collection of 90 year old Savages and century old railroad pocket watches, I'm thinking, I'm still feeling a little spry. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just looked in my records b/c I have a war era gun that I have a letter on... also noticed, I own gun 427423, an EG in 300 also... do we have a consecutive set? There is a 2 in 99 chance!?!?!?!

Andrew
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No apologies. I think the Savage 99EG is the most elegant lever rifle ever made. Well done!

X
XLTFX4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by lovemy99
just looked in my records b/c I have a war era gun that I have a letter on... also noticed, I own gun 427423, an EG in 300 also... do we have a consecutive set? There is a 2 in 99 chance!?!?!?!

Nope, but only 33 off! Do you have a letter on 423?

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (160user, 12344mag, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 28 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,442
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.