-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just made room in the safe for a Mark X 375 H&H, but the "hogback" stock has to go (needs too much work to make it fit anyway}. For my style of hunting, I'm thinking I need a synthetic stock (or maybe laminate?) that will be relatively light, tough, won't swell, and might help out some with recoil. Without going "custom", which synthetic stocks would you recommend for this rifle?
<br>
<br>I know there are quite a few aftermarket stocks out there, but from reading here and elsewhere I'm somewhat concerned about fitting them to the 375 action and barrel countour. I'm led to believe that this action has been modified somewhat to feed and chamber the 375 H&H. How much fitting needs to be done on the various stocks and (if necessary) can they be inletted enough without breaking through the outer shell? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
<br>
<br>As far as design, the factory supplied (H-S?) stocks that came on some Rem. 700s fit the best of the synthetic stocks I have used. Is there a similar design that would adapt to the Mark X?

"Hunting in the wilderness is of all pastimes the most attractive" Teddy Roosevelt 1893

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just received a High Tech Specialties Stock ordered from Brownells. Prior to ordering I contacted Mark at the website below and he indicated the stock would fit a #3-4 contour depending on the manufacturer. I just measured the area just in front of the receiver ring and it measures approximately 1.275" and tapers down to .875" at the forend tip. I would suspect that would be enough room. I'm going to have to glassbed, scratch the stock down, add a recoil paid and paint, but the price wasn't too bad (if you have a 'smith or friend with an FFL), the price was around $150. Looks pretty good right off the bat.
<br>
<br>If you want to buy a ready made contact Brown Precision in Los Molinos, CA or McMillan in AZ, Rimrock Stocks. All great quality. McMillans and Rimrocks are heavier than Brown on HTS.
<br>
<br>Good luck.
<br>
<br>http://www.bansnersrifle.com/hightech/prices.htm

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
OOPS, forgot to mention the ordering was done through Brownells! Included in the order was a short chambered Brownells-Shilen for a Mauser--contour # 3 which is .625 at the muzzle-fits with plenty room to spare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a laminated stock, contact Boyd's. The laminated stocks are $89.00 right now, with about ten for shipping. Tell them what you have, they make them for many different actions. You'll ned to cut the bolt handle notch, and open up the barrel channel some, for larger barrels. Contact them for more info.
<br>I bought one for my rifle, which hasn't arrived yet.
<br>www.boydboys.com.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Check out elk ridge stocks. Some very cool looking laminated stocks. http://www.reamerrentals.com/elk_ridge.htm
<br>Good shooting, Weagle

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why not go with the best...McMillan makes stocks for the Mark X.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 1234, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,577
Posts18,532,166
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.