Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4904714 02/05/11
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The wife and I saw this movie. I loved it. What kind of rifle did Rooster Cogburn use? It could be an 1886 Winchester but I don't know for sure.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the "real" movie John "Rooster" Wayne uses a Winchester 92 but I don't know about the :fake: movie. A 86 is a BIG rifle so I would not think he would have used that. If not a 92 than a 73 replica I would think.

Last edited by derby_dude; 02/05/11. Reason: Missed a word.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
whelenut,

I don't make it out to first run movies that often, and when I do all the "movie theater" stuff kinda overwhelms me. But my impression at the time watching it was that it was a Model 1873. And IIRC of the original novel Mattie said in it that Rooster used the same round in his "belt gun" as his rifle, and that it was a 44-40. Maybe someone else got a better look than me.

We went out shopping today and an original blu-ray version of the original True-Grit made it home. While the new version is still fresh I'll compare it with the original, which in my humble opinion is one of the best westerns every made.

JohnDog

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I believe it was an 1873.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I believe it was an 1873.
I agree. I saw it last week. The little girl playing Mattie Ross stole the show. Best new movie I've seen in years.

I wasn't really impressed with Bridge's version of Rooster, but Matt Damon did a good job as an azzhole Texas Ranger, full of himself.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It looked like an 1873 to me also. Loved the movie, and really didn't even think I wanted to go see it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Definitely a '73. And I thought the movie was excellent.

It wasn't a "remake", BTW. Both the John Wayne version and the Coen brothers version were taken from the book. Personally, I thought the dialog in the new version much more entertaining and true to the book.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I love those big bore octagon barrels!
The Sharps carbine was cool too.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by whelennut
I love those big bore octagon barrels!
The Sharps carbine was cool too.

Yeah it makes me sad that I sold the 2 I had. Shoulda woulda coulda....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Definitely a '73. And I thought the movie was excellent.

It wasn't a "remake", BTW. Both the John Wayne version and the Coen brothers version were taken from the book. Personally, I thought the dialog in the new version much more entertaining and true to the book.

Me too. The characters were more plausible in the newer version too.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I liked it- my wife hated it

Sure would be nice to shoot 4-5 hundred yards with a 4MOA rifle like Matt Damon did in the movie though ....Eh!?

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looked like a 84L Montana in .280AI

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've seen 'em both. John Wayne was a helluva lot better Rooster than Jeff Bridges. Matt Damon did La Boef better than Glen Campbell and Robert Duvall was a MUCH BETTER lucky Ned Pepper than that guy they used this time. Bridges really screwed up the "fill your hand you sonofabitch" line in the shoot out with Pepper scene.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty good movie.

Retired cat herder.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've seen 'em both. John Wayne was a helluva lot better Rooster than Jeff Bridges. Matt Damon did La Boef better than Glen Campbell and Robert Duvall was a MUCH BETTER lucky Ned Pepper than that guy they used this time. Bridges really screwed up the "fill your hand you sonofabitch" line in the shoot out with Pepper scene.

That pretty much sums up how I saw it but I felt this one to be equal to the original. Bridges was pretty good, nobody is John Wayne though.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well,for what it's worth,I thought the script,acting, and directing in the original was better.Thought Damon mailed it in.The cinematography in the original was way better.....the ancillary characters like Stonehill and The attorney Dagget in the original gave much better performances.I saw the original again the next day after seeing the new one.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I haven't had a chance to see the new one, but have always been a fan of the original.
The wife said she saw an interview with Damon prior to the release of this new version, and Damon stated he hadn't ever seen the original or any Wayne movie for that matter. Another Hollwierd loser.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked the scene when Mattie says �burry him in his mason apron" and when she is going through his belongings and in his stuff you see a gold square and compass watch-bob.

Cool.

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked the ending on the original much better, but then I don't like the ending on most Coen Brother movies....esp No Country for Old Men. Rest of the movie was great. I agree,the actress playing young Mattie carried the film!

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by levrluvr
... Damon stated he hadn't ever seen the original or any Wayne movie for that matter. Another Hollwierd loser.

Naturally Matt Damon would say that as he would naturally loath John Wayne.

Afterall, John Wayne was not a commnist.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.