Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Saw a nice one in the corner grocery/ gun store. Stainless barrel, 16 inches long, easy working action for an Elf with odd working hands.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What Caliber, Annie ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elf
Saw a nice one in the corner grocery/ gun store. Stainless barrel, 16 inches long, easy working action for an Elf with odd working hands.

'92 Rossi's are pretty nice guns. At least they were before Taurus bought Rossi. I've not got any experience with the new ones, but the real Rossi's were good and I've not heard anything bad about the Taurus ones.

The old ones are pretty grainy as far as working the lever. A model '92 Winchester (which the Rossi's are clones of) is about as smooth a lever action as you are likely to find. I think the Jap copies that Miroku was making for Winchester were pretty smooth too. The Browning '92's were pretty smooth too.

Unless the new Rossi's are significantly smoother than the old ones, I believe I'd seriously consider a Marlin 1894 instead, if I had problems with my hands. Then again I guess you already said the actions were easy working. Believe I'd gofer it if I were you.

The .44 Mag. recoil is a little stiff in a light gun like that. I'd imagine the 45 Colt with reasonable loads would be better, as would the .357 Mag.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 02/05/11.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my experience...from long ago...u get what u pay for

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
What Caliber, Annie ?

GTC

357 mag ( I think, I know it was a mag)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one in a rifle lenghth(the "Puma"), not the carbine, in .44 mag and it is a nice rifle. The rifle versions have a deserved reputation for accuracy.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Elf

'92 Rossi's are pretty nice guns. At least they were before Taurus bought Rossi. I've not got any experience with the new ones, but the real Rossi's were good and I've not heard anything bad about the Taurus ones.

The old ones are pretty grainy as far as working the lever. A model '92 Winchester (which the Rossi's are clones of) is about as smooth a lever action as you are likely to find. I think the Jap copies that Miroku was making for Winchester were pretty smooth too. The Browning '92's were pretty smooth too.

Unless the new Rossi's are significantly smoother than the old ones, I believe I'd seriously consider a Marlin 1894 instead, if I had problems with my hands. Then again I guess you already said the actions were easy working. Believe I'd gofer it if I were you.

The .44 Mag. recoil is a little stiff in a light gun like that. I'd imagine the 45 Colt with reasonable loads would be better, as would the .357 Mag.

Cole, I'd be hesitant to recommend the Marlin '94 to anyone but a real rifle aficionado. Mine, in 41 mag, has spent extensive time in "rifle rehab". After about 100 rounds the first week I owned it, it started double feeding from the mag tube and jamming the action.

I did a bit of internet research and discovered the fault was in the linkage in the feed mechanism. Sending it back to the factory would only serve to make it as new, and it would likely fail again.

My gunsmith worked it over and it fed perfectly for about two hundred rounds. I took it back and he worked it over again, for free. Again it fed for about two hundred rounds and started jamming.

Third time is a charm, they say. The gunsmith had it for about ten months this last time. But it has fed flawlessly ever since.

A little research on the web at 24 Hr and other sites indicates this is a common failure with this model which Marlin has failed to address.

As to Elf's OP, I have never held a Rossi anything in my hand, so I can not answer.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Depending on price, likely it will be a decent rifle for you.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Idaho_Shooter,

The gun is a new model, it seemed smooth and in my price range ( well soon ). I have lost much strength in my one hand since the hand accident of 2005, this one or one similar seems like the right fit. But what do I know...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elf, I think you might be onto something,......if it seems smooth to YOU ,...that's what counts.

I've tweaked and tuned a few for our local "Cowboy action types
(never a stainless one)....and found them to be servicable and decent arms.

As a Northern Bush Timber Beast you know by now to keep the "Gun Grease" thing to a bare minimum, and not lock the thing up with the wrong lubrication.

Protect your ears, that "trapper model" will be as loud as a handgun.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bud has an old Rossi in 45 Colt. One of my favorite guns.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This thread is NOTHING without some input from TLee.

He'll have a handle on alla' this, and then some.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Annie,

I have a '92 Rossi in 45 Colt. Action seems as smooth as needed for me. Neat little gun, fun to shoot and the big hole in the barrel really impresses some folks. I just like it because its fun . . . and I got it new for a real good price.

Go for it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The big hole... grin That does tend to make people stop and think for a second.

There was another customer there when I was looking at the fire power, clerk handed me the firearm to see how it felt, all done in the SAFE manner, so I wanted to put it up to my shoulder and see how it felt. Be frickin damned if the other guy didn't walk right in front of me, lowered it and went to turn the other way where there was a clear spot ( no bodies ) and the fool decided he needed to stand on that side of me. Looked him in the eye with my best glare and said..Do Ya Mind? pffftttt

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Elf

Cole, I'd be hesitant to recommend the Marlin '94 to anyone but a real rifle aficionado. Mine, in 41 mag, has spent extensive time in "rifle rehab". After about 100 rounds the first week I owned it, it started double feeding from the mag tube and jamming the action.

I did a bit of internet research and discovered the fault was in the linkage in the feed mechanism. Sending it back to the factory would only serve to make it as new, and it would likely fail again.

My gunsmith worked it over and it fed perfectly for about two hundred rounds. I took it back and he worked it over again, for free. Again it fed for about two hundred rounds and started jamming.

Third time is a charm, they say. The gunsmith had it for about ten months this last time. But it has fed flawlessly ever since.

A little research on the web at 24 Hr and other sites indicates this is a common failure with this model which Marlin has failed to address.

As to Elf's OP, I have never held a Rossi anything in my hand, so I can not answer.
The wife's never bobbled when she had it, but then I got her a CAR.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I handled a Marlin as well, it was as nice, maybe nicer just out of my price range right now. Also had stainless barrel on it and a really sweet large handled lever on it, you could work it with a pair of mittens on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elf
The big hole... grin That does tend to make people stop and think for a second.

There was another customer there when I was looking at the fire power, clerk handed me the firearm to see how it felt, all done in the SAFE manner, so I wanted to put it up to my shoulder and see how it felt. Be frickin damned if the other guy didn't walk right in front of me, lowered it and went to turn the other way where there was a clear spot ( no bodies ) and the fool decided he needed to stand on that side of me. Looked him in the eye with my best glare and said..Do Ya Mind? pffftttt

I'm sure that more then just a few here would be glad to enlighten you on the effective and always popular "vertical butt stroke" for the next time you have a pest like that to deal with.

Get the shop owner to lend you an old Mauser for that deal.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/05/11. Reason: Rat like Mis speeeling

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this the rifle? I could not find a 16" barrel in SS, only a 20" barrel without the large lever loop, which is not to say one is not available. See if you can show us which one.
What few Rossi/Taurus guns I have had seemed fine and a good bargain.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=174&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had the 20" barreled .45 for a number bof years.My daughter in law,who is a little lady loves it.Pretty accurate,handles well.Mine shoots both jacketed and lead bullets with equal aplomb.

Elf Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
this is in .357

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.