Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4829564 01/17/11
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the process of arranging to have a Remington 40X rebarreled. One of the cartridges I'm considering is the 6mm BR. My biggest concern is where cases can be found here in Canada. I have done some preliminary checking and so far haven't found a source.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jim

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can get it from Hirsch. They have it listed at $79/100. http://www.hirschprecision.com/reloading/brass.html

You should also email Epps and ask for a price quote.

Happy days!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Steve,

I had already looked up Epps website and they didn't have this brass listed. I haven't asked my gunsmith about it yet but will when I see him to see if there is a closer source of supply.

Since I have not decided for sure what the cartridge will be I am just in the process of gathering info.

Thanks again.

Jim

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been debating a 6 BR myself..

will be interested in your results..

also considering a 20 BR, as one of our campfire members gave me a shot out 204 barrel... shorten it and rechamber..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Jim. I don't think that Epps lists their brass. I have the luxury of being able to drop in and much of their brass is in the back room. What's not there can be ordered. If you want a specific brand that they do not have in stock, they will order it.

I have a Stevens 200 that I had considered rebarreling into 6mmBR. The problem in Canada is finding stocks that do not cost an arm and a leg.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

Earlier today I found a list of calibres for which Epps is supposed to have brass on hand. 6BR, however, wasn't one of those listed.

At this early stage I haven't done any serious follow up yet.

I am also considering going to a 6mm Remington.

Jim

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bought 100PC of Lapua 10 Years ago For My 22 Dasher {6BR Necked Down} Still Have Ever Pc. The Lapua Is Worth $ If It Can Be Had In Canada.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mull,

According to the reference provided by Steve the brass is available in Nova Scotia. I have noted the address and phone number but until I am sure of the calibre I want I will hold off making any follow up phone calls.

If the gunsmith is available tomorrow evening I hope to make a decision then.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I'm in the process of arranging to have a Remington 40X rebarreled. One of the cartridges I'm considering is the 6mm BR. My biggest concern is where cases can be found here in Canada. I have done some preliminary checking and so far haven't found a source.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jim

Hirsch precision, paul reibin at rangepsorts Unlimted, Joe ponto at RPS Internatioanl, jerry at Mystic Precision, all have in stock or can get 6mmBR brass.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the references. I've added them to my list.

Jim

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've done business with Joe Ponto and he was straight with me.
Butch

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
10ntarioJim: One of my all time favorite Rifle cartridges is the 6mm Remington Benchrest!
It is exceptionally accurate, efficient and mild of recoil!
I use mine for Varminting mostly and could not be happier with it.
I am currently using Norma brass in my 6mm BR.
In one of my 22 Remington Bench Rest 40X Rifles I am using necked down Remington 6mm BR brass and in my other 22 Remington Bench Rest 40X Rifle I am using necked down LaPua 6mm BR brass.
I have no complaints with any of those brands of brass at all.
I guess what I am trying to say is do not be discouraged from using which ever brand of brass that becomes available to you.
I have a number of Remington 40X Rifles and I am always looking for another one - I like them.
Best of luck with your project and I highly recommend the 6mm Remington Bench Rest cartridge for your use.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I just checked the Midway USA site and they are having LaPua 6mm Bench Rest brass on sale until January 31st 2,011 at $71.99 per 100.
The 500 piece lot is also on sale.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Varmint Guy,

Thanks for your comments. I spoke to my gunsmith and learned his only 6BR reamer has a minimum case neck diameter which requires necks to be turned. Since I do not want to have to get into the neck turning business I ended up ordering a 6mm Remington barrel.

I'm not a bench rest competitor and this is just intended to be a fun gun so I am happy with the choice I made.

It is obvious if I had gone with the 6BR, brass could have been gotten but I would have had to go to one end or the other of the country to get it.

I'm not sure I could have ordered brass from the US. Since not even scopes are allowed across firearms components might have been even more problematic.

Jim

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
a 6mm Rem will never let you down..

the 6 BR is high on my list of calibers I'd like to play with..

but the 6mm Rem is one caliber, that it would be one of the last ones I let go of, if I had to par down the stable.

most accurate rifle I own, is chambered in 6mm Rem, with a fast twist, with a Factory reject rifle barrel no less from Pac Nor.

Tested it with 15 different powders, and no rejects but the clear winner for accuracy was H 414.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Seafire,

My 40X presently has a .243 barrel on it. It works well but is starting to get weary. I bought it used and have no idea how many rounds were put through it before I got it.

Rather than use another .243 or .243AI barrel I decided to try the 6 mm Rem.Its one I've always wanted to try but never got around to due to the lack of availability.

I think there is some H414 powder on my shelf so will try it once the barrel arrives and is put together. This is the first time I've had a rifle re-barreled so don't know how long to expect before it arrives then I will still have to wait for installation.

Hopefully it will be all ready by the time the weather here starts to warm up.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim
You have two months for sure and maybe longer the way this winter is progressing.

My woodpole is taking a beating this year.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Randy,

I'm hoping that everything will be ready to go by the end of April. The weather should be good by then for sitting at the bench. I have to get out and order some 6mm Rem. cases and add to my supply of bullets.

If this one works out (and I have no reason to think it won't) am already thinking about another calibre I may try. Previously I was always too antsy to wait for a barrel to be made and installed. When I decided a new gun was wanted I had to go right out and find one in a store to buy.

I wish my gunsmith had a reamer for the 25-08. That is one I would really like to try. I may check around and see if another gunsmith somewhere nearby has the needed reamer.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clymers will make them up and most gunsmiths will split the cost if they get to keep the reamers. There is always another way to scratch the itch.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Gunsmith and nearby are mutually exclusive up here. As is weather at the end of April suitable for sitting at a shooter's bench. Hate ya, Jimbo. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
check mystic precision in oliver or area in southern B.C. I think he has 6 br brass if you google the name it should come up. Also he blogs under mysticplayer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.