-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What carries better....a 4" Security Six or a 4 3/4" .357 Blackhawk? Not talking a Vaquero, my eyes have trouble with Rugers fixed sights anymore especially in stainless which I prefer. My preferred carry style is a high ride hip holster like a thumbbreak or threepersons. The reason I ask is I'm thinkin about trading the Security Six due to size but don't know if I gain anything.

What say you?

CB

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I honestly don't think you'll gain anything and you may lose some portability. I've shot a Security Six, 6" quite a bit and my wife used to have a 6 1/2" .357 Blackhawk, so while I don't have experience with the exact lengths you mention, I do have with the guns. Seems like the Blackhawk is just bulkier and to my thinking anyway, barrel length is the last portion of the concealability/portability factor to consider.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Blackhawk,over all is bigger.Not sure what you mean "due to size"
Many do not consider a single action a good carry gun, some do.
You mention fixed sights.The Security Six had adjustable sights, the Service Six does not.I'm not sure what you mean there

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you already have the security six, I'd stay with that. It's probably just a tad lighter. Nothing wrong with a blackhawk. The blue variation is lighter due to aluminum grip frame than a stainless. Depends on what you want.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'd stay with the Sec. Six
But, is the intended carry use? Camp gun?

Still, the Sec.Six will feel smaller due the butt design.

Put a Wolf reduced power spring kit in the Sec. Six and you'd have a much nicer action that now or than in the Blackhawk as well.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 4" Security Six/Service Six is a better carry gun than Blackhawk. Sights are a matter of personal preference, and if you want adjustable sights, then the Security Six in .357 magnum is the way to go.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i prefer the security six the bh never felt good in my hand which is grip design

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To clear some things up.....

I was talking field carry and camp gun. Not too worried about CC even though any of my guns may get called into use for that on any given day.

Now some observations I've made since posting this question:

My favorite field/camp gun is my stainless birdshead .32M Single Six. It's enough caliber for my uses and seemed small and compact enough. The sights are really getting hard on me though. When coon hunting in years past I carried my 5.5" Ruger 22/45. To tell the truth, the Security Six just seemed big compared to either of the other two guns even though I had never really compared them side by side. I figured the blackhawk would fit in between the Single Six and the Security Six in size/weight areas.

OK, did some side by side today. The Single Six weighed in at 34 3/4 ounces, the 22/45 was the EXACT same and the Security Six weighed in at 36 3/8 ounces. Not even 2 ounces more. In total over all length all 3 guns are within 1/4" of each other. By comparison, Ruger list the weight of a stainless 4 3/4" .357 Blackhawk as being 46 ounces and a GP100 being 40 ounces (GP included for comparison). So much for the Security Six being bigger than the others. I do feel it's bulkier but that's to be expected. Bigger cylinder, bigger barrel, but bigger holes in each. I also feel that part of my feeling of the Security Six being bigger is the full size service grips I have on it when compared to the birdshead of my single six.

So now I'm in search of better grips! laugh. Ideas?

CB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
they are both similar size and easy to carry... and you may be able to find on the bay a set of the smaller sized service grips for cheap.

Last edited by runninmike; 02/06/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While the Security Six is a very solid handgun, the Blackhawk has style. Both shoot about the same, but for OWB carry in a Threeperson's holster, I would think the BH would carry best...and look good while doing so.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have several Blackhawks,but the Security Six is my favorite to carry while in the saddle. If I want to carry a Blackhawk, it is usally in 44 mag

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The SS is probably the better carry gun..sights wise they are the same...and when you get old black-on-black sucks...

Take a look at the 4" GP100. Carry wise you loose a little over the SS but still not quite the bulk of a BH. But the sights...this is where the difference comes in. The GP100 has a quick change front sight. I put one of the fiber optic front blades on from Brownells and it dramatically improved inside and outside shooting..

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
To clear some things up.....

I was talking field carry and camp gun. Not too worried about CC even though any of my guns may get called into use for that on any given day.

Now some observations I've made since posting this question:

My favorite field/camp gun is my stainless birdshead .32M Single Six. It's enough caliber for my uses and seemed small and compact enough. The sights are really getting hard on me though. When coon hunting in years past I carried my 5.5" Ruger 22/45. To tell the truth, the Security Six just seemed big compared to either of the other two guns even though I had never really compared them side by side. I figured the blackhawk would fit in between the Single Six and the Security Six in size/weight areas.

OK, did some side by side today. The Single Six weighed in at 34 3/4 ounces, the 22/45 was the EXACT same and the Security Six weighed in at 36 3/8 ounces. Not even 2 ounces more. In total over all length all 3 guns are within 1/4" of each other. By comparison, Ruger list the weight of a stainless 4 3/4" .357 Blackhawk as being 46 ounces and a GP100 being 40 ounces (GP included for comparison). So much for the Security Six being bigger than the others. I do feel it's bulkier but that's to be expected. Bigger cylinder, bigger barrel, but bigger holes in each. I also feel that part of my feeling of the Security Six being bigger is the full size service grips I have on it when compared to the birdshead of my single six.

So now I'm in search of better grips! laugh. Ideas?

CB

eBay is lousy with Security Six grips--tons of grips, even with the Ruger logo. I also have some vintage finger groove rosewood grips for my Sec. Six, but I like the plain jane Ruger target versions best.
There are also rubber grips too if that is what you are looking for

These rosewood ones like mine are on eBay now;
http://cgi.ebay.com/RUGER-GRIPS-RAR...DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0dcf0226.
But, the rosewood ones you will need to sand out a relief in the left grip to clear shells for ejection--especially for 357's. Also, the grips are large overall, and I wear size L gloves--so I sanded down the right side and finger groove area too. But, if you want a truly custom feel, it might be worth your time.

But I like these better--especially the blonde wood version if your Sec. Six is stainless;
http://cgi.ebay.com/RUGER-SECURITY-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5641b9c300

Last edited by SteveS; 02/06/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

740 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,277
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.