Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Originally Posted by mathman
It wouldn't do to mix sippin' whiskey with Coke anyway.

I friend likes to mix his Crown Royal XR and Cask 16 with Pepsi. I have to hold back the urge to slap him upside his head whenever I see him do it.

cry Why? cry

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can believe it, Chivas ain't exactly sippin' scotch.

Huh? Chivas is a very smooth blend.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Chivas ain't a single malt, but it is a very good blended whiskey.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I hate to spread the word, because it might cause them to raise the price if it becomes too popular. You need to try Buffalo Trace. I'll drink it over Makers any day.

Woodford reserve is still my all time favorite, but Buffalo Trace is my everyday sipping bourbon.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've been grooving on Laphroaig lately; very peaty and flavorful. As for mixers, I'm a fan of Ballentines for mixing with cola and Famous Grouse for mixing with soda water.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good Bourbon. Around here it is cheaper than Maker's Mark. Try Old Crow. Don't laugh. It's pretty darned good and short money. Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I first tried Eagle Rare in 1982, when they were promoting it at a convention I went to. I played a little guitar with some other pickers in the Eagle Rare hospitality room and afterward they gave me a bottle of their best grade. Nice stuff! I have been buying a bottle now and then ever since.

But I also like Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark and even some stuff that's not bourbon, including good Scotch and just about any kind of Irish whisky.

There are some purists who claim that any made in North America is whiskey, and any made in the British Isles is whisky. Dunno about that, but did drink some "whisky" made in Argentina that tasted like good Scotch a few years ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Japanese make some good whiskys as well.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Living in the area of Central KY I always thought water quality played an important role. Woodford reserve gets their water from Glenn's Creek - A 'clean creek' Located in Horse farm country- not much run off from industrial or fretilizer. I;'ve rode my bike Past Wood Reserve many a time. Knob creek gets its water I think from Floyds Creek Have not seen it but its close to Lousiville but I think OK.
Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey gets its water from the KY river. A cesspool. IMHO, So I don't imbibe for that Reason.
BTW Old Crow used to get its water from Glenns creek a few miles below woodford reserve, but never cared for it much - at least lately. Jim Beam- not sure, See many stored at former Old Crow Distilery ware house. so I am confused. BTW Knob Creek 1st & Jack D 2nd my favorite with Woodford Reserve a close 2nd.
Last Jim Beam I poured half of it out.

BTW Bourbon nwas invented by a baptist minister in Georgetown KY (according to an historical Marker there, now Scott County.)
Wild turkey is in Anderson County, Buffalo Trace in Frankin county, Woodford Reserve and Old crow in Woodford Co. Old crow tyhere being shut down, I used to hunt on the property in the late 70's.

Jack Daniels for me is a surprise as we KY'ians know all sewer water flows from KY into Tenn. GRIN

Last edited by Red Baron; 02/06/11.

Red Baron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I've been grooving on Laphroaig lately; very peaty and flavorful. As for mixers, I'm a fan of Ballentines for mixing with cola and Famous Grouse for mixing with soda water.

If peaty and flavorful for Laphroaig is a euphemism for "tastes like a saltwater gargle" then I'm aboard. grin True, I do like that occasionally.

If we're going to delve into the Scotch world I have to throw out the Dalmore. Bought a bottle at the duty free in Heathrow last Oct. I was truthfully sucked in by the pewters stags head but don't hold that against me. The 25 year old is simply the best scotch I have ever had. 7x57Steve and I shared a wee dram after a bird hunt and he found it's in US and highly recommend it.

http://www.thedalmore.com/the-distillery/our-collection/the-15.aspx

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Oregon45

If peaty and flavorful for Laphroaig is a euphemism for "tastes like a saltwater gargle" then I'm aboard. grin True, I do like that occasionally.

Ha! It is a unique flavor, but I like that as a little bit goes a long way. At $50 a bottle the flavor makes it pretty efficient grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Laphoraig was the first single malt Scotch I'd ever tried.

The first sip was a shock. I'd never tasted anything like this before.

The second sip was a pleasure.

Been a pleasure ever since.

- Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TysonT
Templeton Rye!! Al Capone's favorite. Was made through prohibition, and flew under the radar for many years... until recently. It's back in "production" and on the market now, if you can find it.

Ya mean this stuff?
[Linked Image]

Top that off I have another bottle on reserve when it comes in stock. Christmas present from the mother in law.

Made right here in Iowa, started during prohibition.

CB

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mathman
I can believe it, Chivas ain't exactly sippin' scotch.

Huh? Chivas is a very smooth blend.

If you like blends, I guess it's okay. All we use blends for at my house is mixed drinks.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,834
Posts18,496,715
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.