Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MikeWerner,

Okay, I apologize over my slightly over-the-top post. But I do tend to get offended when somebody makes a crack like, "Just my opinion, but I thought the coyote shot with the Barnes bullet brought very little to the discussion."

I also get really weary of the many discussions on the Campfire that seem to produce VERY firm opinions from people who have zero or little experience with the subject. Probably the three subjects that do this, every time, are Berger VLD's, using .22 centerfires on deer, and elk rifles, cartridges and bullets.

One of the reason I tend to get a little peeved about Berger threads is that the debate has gone on a lot before, and the way they work has been described many times. I published an article in HANDLOADER a few years ago about a trip to New Zealand to specifically test VLD's, because NZ has so many feral animals that allow plenty of shooting. We not only shot dozens of animals, but autopsied quite a few, until the delayed expansion got so boring that we quit. Oh, I also tested their penetration on bones by shooting into the shoulders of big feral goats at very close range, after the goats were dead. The VLD's penetrated every time. You can probably find a link to that article if you do a search on the Campfire.

VLD's have also been tested over and over again in The Bullet Test Tube, a wax-based medium developed by my friend Richard Mann. Their performance in Test Tubes pretty much exactly matched their performance in the animals we autopsied in New Zealand.

Since then I have used VLD's on big game here in Montana and other western states, because I do like their performance for certain kinds of hunting. They have always acted exactly the same. In fact the two bullets I've used that are most consistent in the way they expand are Barnes TSX's and Berger VLD's, which operate at opposite ends of the spectrum. That doesn't mean that one is "right" and one is "wrong," just that they work differently.

Yeah, you're right. Some of my recent posts have been offensive, probably because they were meant to be. I don't react that way often, partly because you have to be pretty thick-skinned to be a writer whose opinion appears on newstands several times a month. But eventually I can get riled, especially on a thread like this.

.................M/Deer`s above post sums things up pretty good. Many are apprehensive about using the hunting VLDs just because they were deemed or defined as a match bullet. And then from there, other false assumptions and analysis are made by the very same folks who haven`t tried them, of which Mule Deer has stated, is typical on any VLD thread.

Defintions can sometimes be little mis-leading imo. Just because the term "match" bullet was given and used, doesn`t mean that another use could not be discovered; mainly a hunting use, as was in the case of the VLD.

But that conventional `ol school thinking; such as, that a bullet "must" have good weight retention, give complete pass throughs when possible for a good blood trail "just in case" the game needs to be tracked, and other characteristics associated with the more conventional bullets, still remains within many hearts that will never change.

When these VLD threads pop up, all we successful VLD users can do, is simply offer up our experience and then those interested in using the VLD on their next hunt can either use them or use another bullet.

From my experience on many hogs and on one bull elk, the VLD is the most lethal, devastating, and/or the fastest killing, no tracking (time saving) hunting bullet that I have ever used.

48 to 0 so far,,,,,,,,,,,,in favor of the 168s, the 175s, and the 190 gr "hunting" VLDs.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rost,

I suspect that if you try the hunting VLD's you will experience more instant kills from lung shots. My experience is also that even if the animal doesn't go down instantly to a lung shot, it will go down quicker, on average, than with any other bullet I've used.

Even the guides in New Zealand became VLD converts, and very quickly, especially for goats. Feral goats are considered among hardest-to-drop big game animals by most people who shoot them. The outfitter took one look at a VLD round and told us we had absolutely the wrong bullet, that what we needed was a heavy round-nose with lots of lead showing. But by the end of the second day all the Kiwis were saying the VLD was the best goat bullet they'd ever seen.

In fact, the first goat shot with a pure, broadside lung shot was a big black billy that my wife Eileen took at around 150 yards. It collapsed instantly and rolled down the slope, which is apparently almost unheard of when shooting goats. And that was with a 115-grain from a .257 Roberts at around 2950 fps. Very quick kills was typical, whether on 150-200 pound goats or 400-pound red stags. In fact the biggest stag was also killed with a 115 from a .257, at 200 yards. The shot was placed a little too far to the rear of the rib cage, getting the liver and the rear of the lungs. The stag barely managed to hobble 15 feet before falling over.

The reason for the quick kills is massive internal damage. VLD's tear up innards more than any other bullets I've ever seen. They don't just punch big holes through organs, they rip them apart. My stag was shot with a 185-grain from a .30-06 at 250 yards. The bullet literally turned the heart into a flap of flesh about a foot long. The stag was bedded down and never rose to his feet, instead just tipping his head back briefly, then rolling down the mountain.

I"m slow to change I admit... since the barnes has worked flawlessly in EVERY last situation I've used them. Could not say the same for partitions which I walked away from to barnes after a few situations, dead animals, but I could see they would not do in a bind... results...

I will eventually try the hunting version I assume, but right now I"m having WAY better luck with the target ones than I ever thought possible, why ruin that record....

As to instant kills, I could say that pure speed would do the same too at times... but I seriously doubt a just more explosive bullet would do better EXCEPT if a fragment or bone fragment hit or stunned or severed the spine. I do know that the deer etc.... I"ve used the bergers on have not gone very far at all typically, and usually very wobbly along the way. The bullets do work very well in that aspect.

In my 7x300 wtby I'm still trying to get it to shoot good enough with a douglas tube, but I will start the high vel stuff with 180 targets first... then I"ll risk a few does to the non target and see what gives... IF I ever get it to shoot.

I'll say this though in defense of speed and barnes.... my buddy just got a 257 wtby... I'm running 100 ttsx in it... have yet to see a deer flop, but haven't seen one run more than about 35 yards either.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have only seen 2 big bull elk shot with 168 gr 7mm VLDs. All three bullets were recovered just under the far side skin and were about 50-60% retained weight. There certainly was no indication of violent/rapid expansion, although the internal wound channels were remarkably large. Unfortunately both bulls were shot right at dark, so photos/post mortem were not possible.

Two animals is not much of a sample, but it is infinitely bigger than none, which appears the basis upon which some people are basing their opinions.

And before someone says "since the bullets didn't exit, that means they were inadequate...", the next to last bull I shot was hit with 2 210 gr TTSX out of a 338 Win Mag--both those bullets were found under the farside hide. Just like the Bergers (although the Barnes were 100% retained weight.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Great points, jolintaxidermy.

Does anyone here have the UNS number for the jackets on these VLD hunting bullets?

What about the antimony numbers for the core on the Bergers?

With such a narrow recommended velocity band for acceptable terminal performance, some may suspect components could be on the soft side.

Actually, the 1800 to 3000 fps range is a fairly large range compared to a lot of other bullets. The vast majority of bullets aren't expected to expand below 1900 to 2000 fps, including most cup-and-core bullets, and I wouldn't expect a cup-and-core to do well above 3000 fps. I also don't know that you could get Barnes to recommend an impact velocity as low as 1800 fps for the vast majority of their bullets. If you want to have an impact velocity envelope from 1800 fps to more than 3000 fps, you don't have many bullets to consider - Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, and perhaps E-tips and a few of the Barnes TSXs. When I talked with someone at Hornady he said the SSTs should be good down to around 1600 fps, but I don't think I would try an SST at above about 2900 fps impact velocity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jolintaxidermy
I might get lynched out there, but here are my thoughts...

Although I have never used them, what scares me is their overall theory of a bullet fragmenting out once inside the animal. I think the concept is good, IF the bullet makes it inside the animal.

My friend took shot a doe at 400 yards, and hit the shoulder, about an inch to the right of the chest. The doe dropped yes, but the bullet did not penetrate the cavity and blew up (fragmented) on the shoulder. I feel he was lucky to recover the deer since the bullet did not penetrate vitals. He was fortunate that it dropped right there. Otherwise, there would be a doe running around with a 3 inch wound on her shoulder....

I have read other similar stories online as well.

jolintaxidermy �

It�s pretty clear you�re just a dumb hick from Des Moines that doesn�t know squat.

Don�t you know that, since you didn�t pull the trigger yourself, you can�t learn anything of value from your friend�s experience or negative stories you read online? That the photo and any conversations you�ve had with your friend are completely worthless? That VLDs are THE bullet to use?

At least that appears be the implication from some of the people here that think you should learn from THEIR experiences...

I think you are smarter than that and I agree � and like you have taken heat for daring to suggest the VLDs are not a bullet I would care to use.

I am more than willing to concede the VLDs probably work as advertised, penetrating a couple inches and then flying to flinders, just like a big varmint bullet - which, by the way, is exactly the reason I won�t use them.

My own preference is toward bullets that hold together, provide reliable but controlled and limited expansion, and penetrate deeply. That, of course, is blasphemy to some, especially if it means using more expensive bullets. My favorites are the North Fork and Trophy Bonded bullets, which have worked on deer and elk equally well, even on shots that required substantially more penetration than Berger claims the VLDs can offer. (Of course some would suggest I can�t really know anything about the Trophy Bonded because my hunting buddy uses them � even though I�ve seen how they work I haven�t pulled the trigger on one myself.)

By the way, jo, I�m just another dumb hick from Iowa � lived there until I was in my mid twenties and called Des Moines home for the last ten of that. Still have family there.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Actually, the 1800 to 3000 fps range is a fairly large range compared to a lot of other bullets. The vast majority of bullets aren't expected to expand below 1900 to 2000 fps, including most cup-and-core bullets, and I wouldn't expect a cup-and-core to do well above 3000 fps. I also don't know that you could get Barnes to recommend an impact velocity as low as 1800 fps for the vast majority of their bullets. If you want to have an impact velocity envelope from 1800 fps to more than 3000 fps, you don't have many bullets to consider - Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, and perhaps E-tips and a few of the Barnes TSXs. When I talked with someone at Hornady he said the SSTs should be good down to around 1600 fps, but I don't think I would try an SST at above about 2900 fps impact velocity.

Don�t know why you wouldn�t use a standard cup and core above 3,000fps? What is the worst that could happen � they�d fly apart like a Berger is advertised to do?

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/05/11.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

Don�t know why you wouldn�t use a standard cup and core above 3,000fps? What is the worst that could happen � they�d fly apart like a Berger is advertised to do?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCJR

[Linked Image]

Funny picture but hardly analogous. The cartoon shows an incredible leap in technology but the Berger VLDs offer nothing of the sort. Rather more of a step backwards in my opinion. A bullet that flies apart after 2-3� of penetration? Nothing new there, the 162g Hornady BTSP I shot my first elk with back in the early 1980�s did exactly that. It was a broadside to the chest, with calculated impact velocity around 2800fps and retained weight of 47.7%, well within the advertised performance range of the Berger VLDs. Such bullets can be highly effective on well-placed shots, but they are not what I want in the tube when more penetration is required.

My own opinion is the Berger VLDs are little more than over-hyped, thin-skinned, cup-and-core bullets with a high BC. In my .22-250 it seems to me that the more explosive 40g BT�s have killed coyotes noticeably faster than the 52g Match HP bullets. Why? Because they blow up faster and tend to create more damage, often without an exit but sometimes blowing a softball-sized hole out the far side. (I�ve only killed about 77 coyotes, though, so maybe I need more experience.) The Berger VLDs are constructed more like the 52g Match HP�s and, like them, penetrate a bit deeper before coming apart - so maybe my references to the VLDs as heavy varmint bullets are somewhat in error.

BTW, I typo�d my previous post - the one I was responding to specified a hesitance to use SST (i.e. standard cup and core) bullets at 2900fps, not 3000fps. I agree with the sentiment, but, like VLDs, would expect them to work reliably on most shots I have taken. With North Fork, MRX, TTSX and others, 3,000 fps is not an upper limit that I worry about, nor is expansion at 1800fps a concern.

As long as other bullets work reliably for me on animals from antelope to elk, as the North Fork, MRX, TTSX and others do, I�ll pass on the VLDs for hunting purposes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Reasonable and valid points, Coyote Hunter.

The VLD Hunter really brings nothing new to the table but exceptional cable-show marketing.

Last edited by MIKEWERNER; 02/06/11.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

The VLD Hunter really brings nothing new to the table but exceptional cable-show marketing.
..........Yep! Call the Bergers VLDs what you may boys, but I`ll stand by my end results rather than opinions by those who for the most part (and just like John Barnsess stated), have not used them themselves, and who don`t plan on using them. Great little cartoon btw in trying to associate the VLDs as uncapable. Ain`t workin boys!

The Bergers simply use a different concept of killing. A different concept that you cannot or will not accept.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They shoot good they have high BCs and kill stuff. I ignore the naysayers with nay experiance. BTW I usually get exit wounds even with bergers, but I usually shooot heavy for caliber bullets. A monometal or even bonded bullet is not needed for deer. I will say that I really like the light for caliber TTSXs in smaller calibers running hot for short range hammering of stuff.
It is funny that I see some guys hammering on the bergers, who have no qualms about shooting deer with an a-max or SMK.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm with the bigsqueeze.

Bergers are frangible but they penetrate much deeper than any other frangible bullet. I've been shooting Bergers into elk, deer, and antelope for the past 3 or 4 years and trust them much more than I would Nos Ballistic tips, A-Maxs, SSTs, or (god forbid) Sierra Game Kings.

The premium bullets, Accubonds, Sciroccos, Interbonds, Barnes, etc., are good stuff and they definitly offer reliable expansion and deep penetration but, unless I was sporting a monster magnum, I would no way trade you a Berger for a Barnes at 750+ yards. The Bergers will have much more velocity at extreme distances and are soft enough to expand reliably. Barnes are great for shorter shots but have a bad reputation for low BCs and being too hard to provide reliable expansion at low velocities. Sciroccos, Accubonds, and Interbonds are probably more likely to expand at lower velocities but they don't buck the wind like the Bergers and so are much harder to control at extreme distances.

Bergers might not be the End-All Be-All for hunting bullets. But when you're talking about taking big game at 700+ yards, they're very close.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I ran the .284 140s at 3175 for a couple of deer and a lope. Pretty salty on smaller animals, but explosive. I had one come to pieces on a 160lb deer, but the pieces did make it to the off side. Softer than NBTs, but good enough to kill stuff. Can't comment on the heavier VLDs, but they'd definitely be on the bottom of my list for elk bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

..........Yep! Call the Bergers VLDs what you may boys, but I`ll stand by my end results rather than opinions by those who for the most part (and just like John Barnsess stated), have not used them themselves, and who don`t plan on using them. Great little cartoon btw in trying to associate the VLDs as uncapable. Ain`t workin boys!

The Bergers simply use a different concept of killing. A different concept that you cannot or will not accept.

The VLD �concept� really isn�t any different, just marketed differently. Standard cup-and-core hunting bullets have a thicker jacket and also penetrate a bit before expanding, but run them fast enough at impact and you get pretty much the same effect as Berger advertises for the VLDs �they shed most of their weight as shrapnel. With hits to the chest cavity, the result is often and perhaps usually an animal that goes straight down. No problem there.

That said, my concern is not with what happens when things go as planned � most any bullet will work in such circumstances � but what happens when things go badly. Berger advertises about 18� of penetration with the VLDs. There are times when that simply is not enough. In 2007 I had the misfortune of having a buck step forward and turn just as the trigger broke. What had been an easy quartering away shot suddenly became a hit low to the right ham. The vitals were much more than 18� from the entrance wound. The 140g North Fork I was using didn�t care - the buck dropped so fast it was on the ground before I could recover from the recoil. The North Fork was recovered from up against the sternum.

In my experience, such straight down results are pretty typical with the North Forks, with both deer and elk. The problem I have with Berger VLDs is they can�t perform any better than what I am currently using unless the game starts dropping before the shot, but VLDs can easily fail to measure up when things go bad, as occasionally happens. How would a Berger, with its advertised 18� of penetration have worked on the buck? No one can know for sure but the advertised 18� penetration doesn�t give me any warm fuzzies when it was over twice that to the sternum. When I shot that buck I had a bull tag in my pocket � what if the circumstances had been the same except that the animal was a bull? I�ve seen bulls badly wounded in the hind quarter (and the front, for that matter) easily outdistance the hunters that shot them. Thanks, but no thanks.

G
G
shooting 7 mm Rem mag using H1000 powder Have shot three cow elk over last three seasons with 168 gr bullets. Closest was 275, then two close to 400. Two went down on high shoulder shots and one ran 50 yards after lung shot. White tail bucks ran no more than 50 yards at about 350 yard shots. I am anxious to try the 140 gr on deer next fall. Cant say I have spent much time looking for bullets but my meat cutter has given me some fragments a time or two.Some of my friends are going long yardage shots with 30 cal bergers and one elk down this fall at 670 yards.He was using the Huskema system . On paper he claims he has grouped 5 shots in 7 inches at 700 yards. Personally I am too nevous to try over 450 but these guys are seasoned shooters.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

The VLD �concept� really isn�t any different, just marketed differently. Standard cup-and-core hunting bullets have a thicker jacket and also penetrate a bit before expanding, but run them fast enough at impact and you get pretty much the same effect as Berger advertises for the VLDs �they shed most of their weight as shrapnel. With hits to the chest cavity, the result is often and perhaps usually an animal that goes straight down. No problem there.

That said, my concern is not with what happens when things go as planned � most any bullet will work in such circumstances � but what happens when things go badly. Berger advertises about 18� of penetration with the VLDs. There are times when that simply is not enough. In 2007 I had the misfortune of having a buck step forward and turn just as the trigger broke. What had been an easy quartering away shot suddenly became a hit low to the right ham. The vitals were much more than 18� from the entrance wound. The 140g North Fork I was using didn�t care - the buck dropped so fast it was on the ground before I could recover from the recoil. The North Fork was recovered from up against the sternum.

In my experience, such straight down results are pretty typical with the North Forks, with both deer and elk. The problem I have with Berger VLDs is they can�t perform any better than what I am currently using unless the game starts dropping before the shot, but VLDs can easily fail to measure up when things go bad, as occasionally happens. How would a Berger, with its advertised 18� of penetration have worked on the buck? No one can know for sure but the advertised 18� penetration doesn�t give me any warm fuzzies when it was over twice that to the sternum. When I shot that buck I had a bull tag in my pocket � what if the circumstances had been the same except that the animal was a bull? I�ve seen bulls badly wounded in the hind quarter (and the front, for that matter) easily outdistance the hunters that shot them. Thanks, but no thanks.

..................I understand the penetration aspect of things in what you are talking about. As I stated earlier on this thread, the VLDs, with a well placed shot, are very capable of killing game including elk that are quartering to or quartering away in the neighborhood of 30-35 degrees max with considerable vitals damage.

I would rather take my chances using the VLDs, wait for a good shot angle, having a higher percentage or better odds that my quarry will drop sooner, or better yet, drop as a DRT, as opposed to the chances of doing alot of tracking after the shot using a more conventional bullet. Especially when time is short and getting close to dark or is dark, I dislike tracking game in any terrain.

I`ve seen, heard, and read that on a few occasions, about hunters going back the next morning to again track and find their game because they couldn`t find the animal the day before. That btw, has happened to me on two occasions.

You have your reasons why you say "no thanks" to the VLDs, and I too have my reasons for my "no thanks" when it comes to using most conventional bullets, of which btw, I have used just about all of them for hunting over many years.

Of the 48 hogs and the one bull elk I have killed using the 30 cal VLDs, I haven`t had to track any of them.

So while the VLDs lack penetration given certain shot angles, I`ll opt to patiently "wait" for a better shot angle, resulting in little to no tracking after the shot.

Regardless of the bullet brand, no animal is predictable after bullet impact. But I`d be willing to lay some serious dollars down on the table, that if given the same game (elk on down), shot from the same distances with the same caliber and roughly the same bullet weight, shot at a 30 degree angle or less, and given the exact same shot placement into the animal, my money will be on the VLDs to effectively drop the animals faster along with having reduced running yardages after the impact the majority of the time.

If such an experiment could be carried out using all bullet brands for comparison, I`ll bet on and take the VLDs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

..................I understand the penetration aspect of things in what you are talking about. As I stated earlier on this thread, the VLDs, with a well placed shot, are very capable of killing game including elk that are quartering to or quartering away in the neighborhood of 30-35 degrees max with considerable vitals damage.

�30-35 degrees max � is the rub for me, or at least one of them. That buck I mentioned above started out with that kind of shot. Because it moved as the trigger broke, the angle ended up being more like 80 degrees off perpendicular. The 7mm 140g North Fork I was using penetrated from ham to sternum and did a lot of damage inside the chest cavity. I�ve been taken to task by people who say such things don�t happen very often, and at least in my case that is true � this was the first time since I started hunting big game in 1982. Nevertheless I would rather be prepared for such an event than not � which means I choose my bullets accordingly.

I would rather take my chances using the VLDs, wait for a good shot angle, having a higher percentage or better odds that my quarry will drop sooner, or better yet, drop as a DRT, as opposed to the chances of doing alot of tracking after the shot using a more conventional bullet. Especially when time is short and getting close to dark or is dark, I dislike tracking game in any terrain.

We are in complete agreement on this except for the choice of bullet. I work hard for broadside shots and have passed on many animals when such an opportunity didn�t materialize. Since 2002 when I first used a North Fork, I�ve taken 7 elk total, 4 with the North Forks. Three of those have dropped straight down, one struggled 25 yards before piling up, no tracking necessary.

I`ve seen, heard, and read that on a few occasions, about hunters going back the next morning to again track and find their game because they couldn`t find the animal the day before. That btw, has happened to me on two occasions.

That happened with my buddy once as well � a Grand Slam through the neck after I had cautioned against such a shot. The cow made it 120 yards, maybe more, and we didn�t find it until the next morning. Not a happy experience.

You have your reasons why you say "no thanks" to the VLDs, and I too have my reasons for my "no thanks" when it comes to using most conventional bullets, of which btw, I have used just about all of them for hunting over many years.

I�m good with that � a person should use what they are comfortable with.

Of the 48 hogs and the one bull elk I have killed using the 30 cal VLDs, I haven`t had to track any of them.

So while the VLDs lack penetration given certain shot angles, I`ll opt to patiently "wait" for a better shot angle, resulting in little to no tracking after the shot.

See above. The longest I�ve waited for a good shot was 6 hours, but sometimes a broadside or good quartering shot just doesn�t happen.

Regardless of the bullet brand, no animal is predictable after bullet impact. But I`d be willing to lay some serious dollars down on the table, that if given the same game (elk on down), shot from the same distances with the same caliber and roughly the same bullet weight, shot at a 30 degree angle or less, and given the exact same shot placement into the animal, my money will be on the VLDs to effectively drop the animals faster along with having reduced running yardages after the impact the majority of the time.

If such an experiment could be carried out using all bullet brands for comparison, I`ll bet on and take the VLDs.

You may be right, but what happens when things go south and the �30 degree angle or less� turns into something more like 80 degrees off perpendicular, as happened with my buck? I simply prefer bullets that work well under a wider variety of circumstances. Since 2002 that has primarily meant North Fork and Barnes TTSX and MRX for me and they have yet to disappoint - with most game going straight down. Don�t know how a VLD could drop game any faster, but maybe with a slo-mo camera and a stopwatch�

Guess we�ll have to agree to disagree on this, which is fine. I do, by the way, appreciate your civil discourse on the subject.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Coyote......................Well! No guarantees in life and no guarantees for absolutely perfect hunts on every hunt.

There are tradeoffs, advantages and disadvantanges, in and with mostly everything.

Most conventional bullets have the capability to drop game instantly or having a DRT kill depending on the animal and how it reacts. The VLDs do more internal damage than your North Forks, Barnes and many other conventional bullets. That`s why the VLDs have the capability to drop game faster a greater percentage of the time given the same shot placement.

Notice that I didn`t say all the time. Every animal is different. One hit from a VLD and the animal may run 100 yards after impact, while the same animal may drop instantly with a Barnes or North Fork.

But, I`d still bet on the VLDs to drop game faster with less scampering distance after impact, the greater percentage of the time.

Playing the overall percentages.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[/quote]

The VLD �concept� really isn�t any different, just marketed differently. Standard cup-and-core hunting bullets have a thicker jacket and also penetrate a bit before expanding, but run them fast enough at impact and you get pretty much the same effect as Berger advertises for the VLDs �they shed most of their weight as shrapnel.
[/quote]

Coyote Hunter, I have shot many/most 25 caliber bullets into the Bullet Test Tube and the VLD bullet is the only one that did not start expanding upon impact. Will try to find the picture, but IIRC the VLD penetrated about 2.5 inches before expanding.

Not arguing which is better, just arguing that in my testing, the VLD did act differently than any other bullet that I tested in regards to its delayed expansion.

That was from a .25-06 at 100 yards.

(NBT, NAB, HIB, TSX, GS Custom, NP, SAF, TBBC, VLD were the bullets I can remember using in the tests)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot one deer raking further than your 30-35 degree angle example. I can not recall if it was a 168 or 180 7mm berger that entered the front shoulder and exited the flank just creasing the offside ham. Sorry I do not have more experiance with them on raking shots but I am not prone to taking THS.

I do get exits with bergers where on similar shots with 162SSTs I do not get exits.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (219DW, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.