Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hogs are widely avaliable, most can be hunted year 'round and are relatively inexpensive to hunt. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Same reason we don't have a sheep forum. Ingwe and sam olsen would give it a bad name grin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by captdavid
Hogs are widely avaliable, most can be hunted year 'round and are relatively inexpensive to hunt. capt david

I was thinking the same thing the other day, though in my book they fit pretty well into 'predators and varmints' or whatever that forum is

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Listening to the way a lot of guys talk about wild pigs you might have a better chance starting a thread on killing cockroaches.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It'll come. 15 years ago there was a hog problem in only 20 something states. Now they are a BIG problem in 45 states or so. One sow and her offspring in 5 years gives you 1,000 head. This is based on a sow only having 4 or 5 pigs twice a year. Fact is they have 3 litters every 14 months. With a good food source they are just like a brood sow. To stabalize the number at least 70% of the critters has to be taken out every year. This is impossible and very serious.

Last edited by DOO_DAH; 02/07/11.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Hogs.
Natures finest natural bullet test media.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A lot of fun to shoot and good eating too...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope they set a hog page up. They are popular enough, and easy to get to. Usually one of the cheapest big game animals to access.

Maybe a list of landowners with "Crop Damage" permits or others that just need help to remove problem animals off their land. I am sure we could get a list of "volunteers" to help out.

As Capt. David said, one of the best bullet testing mediums made.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[Linked Image]
Hogs.

dave

Dave,
Do you have huntable numbers of them in PA?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Lotta money being made on these dang things! Once was a time people begged you to catch or kill. Now they are making money on the hunts. Aggravating corn vacuums....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[Linked Image]
Hogs.

dave

Dave,
Do you have huntable numbers of them in PA?

I would say no.
But they found a dead one on the road here last summer and the buzz was that there moving in.
I live in NW Pa. so I figure there numbers will be limited.To tuff a winter here.
In southern Pa. could be a totally different story.
All my pigs are from Texas.
I usually go in Feburary just to get a few days away from butthole deep snow and below freezing weather.Makes for a nice break.
Warm weather.
Hunting vermin.
Shooting.
What more could you ask for?
[Linked Image]
The 270 WCF.
What a wonderful tool.....

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winters don't bother pigs. Their roots (pun intended) are from Russia. They can handle long rough winters. Their adaptability to various rough climates is a big reason they are so hard to get rid of and why they spread so fast. If you've seen one up there, you will see more. Maybe not tomorrow, but they're coming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it funny that so many farmers, ranchers, people complain constantly about the pigs, but won't let anyone hunt them. They can be a huge source of revenue for ranchers, if they would change their way of thinking. If they truly want help, they need to stop complaining and let people on their land to hunt, or hire hunters to take care of the problem or at least keep them in check. They don't have to let every jackass on their property, but a few good hunters can keep the numbers in check. I have hunted them from helicopters a couple of times on LARGE ranches. A couple of hundred rounds of 12 gauge and a Benelli semi auto loaded with buck shot thins them out in a hurry. It isn't a problem to take out an entire family group of 12 pigs in one pass. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ranchers on the Big Island (Hawaii) don't care for poachers coming on their property and shooting pigs. Spooks the horses and cattle to stamped and tear up fences and get tore up in the process. Most don't have a problem with dog's and knife or bow / crossbow or trapping. Trapping is great if you have a pen. That way you can see what the pigs been eating and just before the luau, put a 22 mag in its head. Another way (I don't recommend but my family kind of crazy) was to chase a sow with piglets screaming the whole way. The screaming scares the piglets and they drop to the ground. Doesn't work out so well if / when the sow turns around.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HaYen
Ranchers on the Big Island (Hawaii) don't care for poachers coming on their property and shooting pigs. Spooks the horses and cattle to stamped and tear up fences and get tore up in the process. Most don't have a problem with dog's and knife or bow / crossbow or trapping. Trapping is great if you have a pen. That way you can see what the pigs been eating and just before the luau, put a 22 mag in its head. Another way (I don't recommend but my family kind of crazy) was to chase a sow with piglets screaming the whole way. The screaming scares the piglets and they drop to the ground. Doesn't work out so well if / when the sow turns around.

HaYen

ok this post is worthless without video grin sounds like something my brother would do laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine.........

[Linked Image]

and yes, I'm the man.............
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yet another......

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by rattler

ok this post is worthless without video grin sounds like something my brother would do laugh

I wish we had some video of yelling down piglets. I'll have to ask my cousin. If we have any, it'll be on 8MM film.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yelling piglets...uh hu? Sounds like someone with an ego made that story up after a couple of beers or seven. The piglets don't get scared and lay down, they do their best to keep up with momma. They usually scatter in every direction once you get too close to them. I would like to see ANYONE keep up with even the smallest piglet. They can flat out move. Put them in a little brush and you lose! I've yet to see any pig lay down or stop running. Even when they are tuckered out or cornered, they will turn on you, try to rake you or just try to run past you (depending on the size of the hog). All they know how to do is run or fight. Crazy things. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,406
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.