-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Herter's recurve target bow when I was in HS. Still have it but have not shot it in many years.

I bought a Herter's 10X monocular in my early days of deer hunting and still use it.

My then "new" bride bought me a Herter's recurve take-down bow (snap-fit, no screws or wing nuts) at the Waseca, MN store on our way back home from our honeymoon. A neighbor who owned an archery pro shop offered me money and a brand new Jennings T-Star 30 some years ago for that bow - I declined and still have it.

I bought a Herter's 3-fletch arrow fletcher and still use it.

Couldn't afford to spend a lot of money with them when they were still in business, but what I did spend was well worth it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Back in the early 1970's, I remember my grandfather driving from his farm in nw Ohio out to Waseca, MN to pick this Herter's boat up for the family lodge in ne Ontario. He had tired of painting wooden boats, and thought it would be nice to finally have a fiberglass one. Parting with the $357 for the boat was a big deal to him. It's been mine now for over 30 years, and I found a nice 16' to go with it. They are incredibly good boats in rough Canadian water like the North Channel. Supposedly, the molds were destroyed when the company was closed.
Grandpa also had a Herter's Supreme Deluxe grade Model U9 Mauser-action rifle with an extra fancy English walnut stock in 25-06. I would have loved to have inherited it, as I am left-handed, and so was the rifle. Like so many of his valuable things, it was nowhere to be found when we got to his farm to settle the estate after he passed. Funny how a death in the family can also bring out the worst in some of its members.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Back in the early 1970's, I remember my grandfather driving from his farm in nw Ohio out to Waseca, MN to pick this Herter's boat up for the family lodge in ne Ontario. He had tired of painting wooden boats, and thought it would be nice to finally have a fiberglass one. Parting with the $357 for the boat was a big deal to him. It's been mine now for over 30 years, and I found a nice 16' to go with it. They are incredibly good boats in rough Canadian water like the North Channel. Supposedly, the molds were destroyed when the company was closed.
Grandpa also had a Herter's Supreme Deluxe grade Model U9 Mauser-action rifle with an extra fancy English walnut stock in 25-06. I would have loved to have inherited it, as I am left-handed, and so was the rifle. Like so many of his valuable things, it was nowhere to be found when we got to his farm to settle the estate after he passed. Funny how a death in the family can also bring out the worst in some of its members.....

[Linked Image]

Not to pick, but the U9s were the BSA Monarch and the J9s were the Mauser action. My first gun is a U9 25/06 with the plain Jane stock and my best friend got a J9 with the nice hunk of wood.

Sorry I went off on ya like that.

Herters, the only place that overused the phrase "Bar None!"

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a Herter's press about 2 months ago. It works great. It is smooth and seats bullets more consistent that my 4-5 year old progressive press. It weighs a ton.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No problem- I wasn't real sure if it was a U or J or what the real differences were back then. I was a teen at the time, knew little about such things other than what he taught me since my father had long since passed away. He thought it a huge chunk of change to spend $150+ on a rifle. I do remember it was a beauty, and rarely used. Of all of his grandchildren, I'm the only one that hunts and fishes. It became either a closet queen or want-ad item for one of my cousins, who have no clue how to even load a rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we were going up to Canada many years ago, the little fishing camp we stayed at had several Herter's snowmobiles. Ugly as sin, but just about bulletproof. I was a young kid at the time, and was fascinated by the "snowmachines" as the crazy Canuck's called them. I'd wager to say a completer Herter's sled would draw quite a bit of interest at the antique sled shows today.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kend
I got a old Herters reloading outfit the other day. Tha scale and trickler have cast iron bases and weigh a ton. The scale has a paddle on the beam that swings in oil to dampen movement. The press is very heavy. I suspect this stuff is from the 1930's??

Same as my scale -- from the 1960s. However, things didn't change quickly back then, so yours could be older and still pretty much identical.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
About 5 or so years ago, Field & Stream had a very good article about Herters and it was quite interesting.
I'm sure a google search would turn it up.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I miss Herters. Half of the hunting fishing gear we had when I was a kid was Herters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we had a Herters "440 husky snowgo" 69/70 or so, man as kids we tore the fields up!!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
everything from Herter's was Model Perfect......I had a 6mm Rem they sold on a BSA action in a sort of faux Weatherby stock that shot lights out, but since I could hardly look at it without snickering even at that young age, I sent it down the road. Still have one of their "Canadian" knives floating around somewhere.

I still use my Herter's Model Perfect 25-06 loading dies and have quite a few pcs of Herter's 25-06 brass. Use the Herter's Model "C" press which is hell for stout. They had a store closeby in Iowa Falls and a store in Mitchell, SD. When we'd go dog shooting or deer hunting, we had to stop at Herter's. Never made it to the store in Waseca, Mn.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you can still pick up some great deals on herters items - i always check whats available on ebay - type in herters - all kinds of stuff available still

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Herter's closed because they were illegally importing jungle cock capes for fly-tying. Tried, but failed to find the actual court records, but I have read them in the past... Though that assumes the case resulted in their closure...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have an old Herter's reloading press that is ridiculously heavy. I didn't really have any use for it, but bought it just for the change of pace I guess. I should unload that thing. I have some Herters swaging dies as well. Another thing that needs to go on ebay.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Brent, which model is it?

I routinely use two old Herter's C presses for all my loading. I've never had a problem with them, and being that they are C presses they work fine for a lefty.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jumping in here late. In the '50s & '60s my Dad always had a Herter's catalog around probably for the entertainment factor. I ordered quite a bit of fishing stuff out of it. I had a complete fly-tying outfit. I also had english (India?) made flyhooks in sizes 20 to 12 and plenty of thread and hackle material. I still have a copy of Herter's "Professional Fly Tying, Spinning and Tackle Making Manual and Manufacturers Guide." by George Leonard Herter.

One order from Herter's was for my Dad's birthday. In it was a lb. of ground coffee from Kenya and a bottle of "Five Alarm Sauce" which was guaranteed to be hot enough to "burn the lint out of your navel."

Sure miss the catalog.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by azcoues
you can still pick up some great deals on herters items - i always check whats available on ebay - type in herters - all kinds of stuff available still

I do the same. I have actually picked up some new-in-the-box items on occasion, and there is a vendor selling the original Murphy knives that they made for Herter's back in the 1960's and 70's. It's good steel.
Two of my clam-smasher rigs on my Lake Erie walleye boat sport NIB original Herter's No.12 reels that I bought new off eBay just few years ago. My Marlin 882ss .22wmr has a 4x12 Herter's scope on it- I love it for those ultra-fine crosshairs.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Paul, it is a C type of press that leans back slightly from vertical. I don't know how to explain it.

Need a press?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Like I said, I have two of those. I don't really need another at this point in my career.

I paid about $13 for the first one in 1965. I bought another at a DM gun show a few years ago, paid $30-something for it.

I have a pretty good collection of Herter's shell holders that I'm jealously hanging on to. I sold one for a belted magnum case some years ago, but I don't really need it.

There is a company that makes or made replica holders at about $20 a whack. I've never liked the adapters that allow use of RCBS type holders.

There is a small difference in the throats of my two presses, so you can't just swap dies back and forth.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those Herters presses would do anything you wanted.I remember the BSA rifles J designations. Powermag 44 mags that only a few were made it seems( saw two at gun show a few weeks ago). They had cheaper stuff and higher quality stuff.
Those days you could order firearms through the mail.I tried for a year to get one of the BSA rifles in7 mag and never could get one.Ended up buying a Model 70.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (16gage, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,638
Posts18,512,166
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.