-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LD - Thanks for checking. What you found matched what I had gathered - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some data.

I'm guessing the "fine performance with somewhat lower velocity" is a combination of (1) they require consistent expansion in their expansion tests at the listed velocities and (2) bone is hit often enough in hunting situations that they see examples of expansion at lower velocities than they would in water.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 02/08/11.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Serious ouch. My uses of 162's this year:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Empirical results rule!
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
LD - Thanks for checking. What you found matched what I had gathered - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some data.

I'm guessing the "fine performance with somewhat lower velocity" is a combination of (1) they are expecting perfect expansion in their expansion tests at the listed velocities and (2) bone is hit often enough in hunting situations that they see examples of expansion at lower velocities than they would in water.
no problem i know i got 1800 some where in something published i do really try not to make this stuff up like some ot well i will leave that alone lol

Last edited by ldholton; 02/08/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want a real eye opener on Berger's on game performance go over to long range hunting and search for the "bullet tests" by "RoyinIdaho"

He strung up a great big ole pig and did some terminal performance testing. I think there are 3 or 4 threads relating to his tests.

Last edited by EddyBo; 02/08/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand the "if it ain't broke,don't fix it" philosophy. On the other hand if everyone prescribed to that we'd still think the earth is flat. And no I've never had the opportunity to use the Bergers on elk, but based on a truckload of other critters wouldn't hesitate to do so. But again if I was offered a shot and was ,using any one of the other brands mentioned I not hesitate either. Good hits with the vast majority of bullets available results in harvested animals, gut shots and broken legs are the same regardless of bullet. My $.02 worth.

Time has come for the U.S. to be proactive instead of reactive to those who would kill us !!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that is a nice buck Carl! General area or spcl draw?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Squeeze-seems to me your burning a Berger in a WSM, which one and what does it prefer for propellant?

Thx
Dober
..........As a matter of fact, I use several VLD loadings from my little 300 WSM Ruger Frontier carbine.

69.2 gr RL17 behind a 155 VLD @ 3234 fps
66.8 gr RL17 behind a 168 VLD @ 3039 fps (whatta great hog huntin load this one is; slams `em)
66.5 gr RL17 behind a 175 VLD @ 2983 fps (this one too)
65.5 gr RL17 behind a 190 VLD @ 2865 fps (this loading was used on my last successful elk hunt).
66.0 gr RL22 behind a 210 VLD @ 2732 fps

Tack on roughly 5% or so to the above velocities for the longer 24" barrels.

RL17 delivers the best velocities with good enough accuracys for hunting. H-4350, Varget, IMR 4007 give better accuracys from my lil Ruger using the VLDs but at reduced bullet speeds.

When available from my dealer, I`ll be trying that new Hodgdon Superperformance powder with the VLDs.
That powder just may take the 155 VLD up to 3300 fps, the 168 VLD to 3100, the 175 VLD to 3000, the 190 to 2900, and the 210 to 2800. If achievable, those #s shouldn`t be too bad from a 16.5" barrel uh?

Gotta love the RL17 powder technology from Alliant and this new Superperformance stuff from Hodgdon. The barrel gets longer, without growing an inch.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BS,
That Ruger shoot all of those well? When is the new Superformance powder coming? You load any 7MM Rem Mag with 168 Bergers?

Dave

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

... Nevermind of course, that most VLD detractors haven`t used them on elk and usually won`t try to because of their pre-conceived assumptions and notions of what the proper big game hunting bullet should be.

Glad you qualified that with �most� but I�m not sure even that is correct. �Some�, certainly.

Judging a bullet based on manufacturer�s stated performance is not necessarily the same as judging it on �pre-conceived assumptions and notions of what the proper big game hunting bullet should be�. Nor is basing it on the experience of people that have used them.

Berger advocates like to talk about shots to the chest and even you have stated that they work best with no more than a 30-35 degree angle. I don�t recall any VLD fans talking about what happens when things go wrong and you hit an animal in the hams because it turned away as the trigger broke. I have a little experience with that using the North Forks and the result was a very sudden and completely satisfactory ending � except for the buck � with the bullet recovered from up against the sternum. Barnes MRX have gone lengthwise through a mulie for me too, in the other direction, with the same straight down results. The Grand Slams I used for 20+ years provided a lot of straight down results with only two elk making it 40 yards and most of the rest no more than a step or two. It took me 20 years to recover one and when I did it had smashed the ball in both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull.

Given that the North Forks, TTSX/ MRX and other bullets I use provide deep penetration and more than satisfactory results even on bad angles, why should I consider a VLD when the manufacturer states it typically won�t do the same?

.............Look at it this way Coyote. I as a VLD user, love the challenge of getting better angles for my killing shots (less than 30 degrees).

I will also point out, that my VLD performances in the field, match the performance claims by Berger for their hunting VLDs.

And, in all my 45+ years of hunting, I`ve never once had the occasion to shoot an animal in the azz hoping for a full length bodily penetration as a last resort.

I`ll keep in mind your "what if" this happens and what "if that" happens scenarios. But, I`m not worried in the least.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RaceTire
BS,
That Ruger shoot all of those well? When is the new Superformance powder coming? You load any 7MM Rem Mag with 168 Bergers?

Dave
.............Yup! 1 1/2" and less (outside edge to outside edge) for all those loadings. And that`s why my lil Ruger compact is nicknmaed "mighty mouse." Great deception and well under-estimated for its compact size.

Superperformance powder will be coming to the shelves at anytime from what I understand.

No, I don`t own or load for a 7 Remy Mag.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Squeeze,
I am pretty excited to try some of that new Superperformance powder. Thanks for the heads up.
Mighty Mouse souns like a dandy.

Dave

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No experience with Elk but plenty with Deer and Hogs. The TSX and Partition have been my projectiles of choice for years in my 270. Still luv em. I've been using my 6.5x55 and 7x57 (7mm-08 also) more and more and have been extremely impressed with the results of the 140gr VLD and 120gr BT (6.5x55), 140gr VLD (7mm-08), and 162gr A-Max(7x57). I'm amazed at how quickly and violently these bullets kill game. I've yet to see a deer or hog travel more than a few steps, most DRT. The posts from skeptics about the "theory of why these bullets can't work" reminds me of the humerous Holiday Inn Express commercials, "are you an expert in X or Y, well, no, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night".

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Squeeze,
I am pretty excited to try some of that new Superperformance powder. Thanks for the heads up.
Mighty Mouse souns like a dandy.

Dave
...............It is a real handy dandy! Ballistically, on par with a 26" barreled 46" OAL 30-06 AI rifle, but in a pkg that`s only 35.5" long. Add an inch for my slip on recoil pad. Quite a little monster.

Good luck with that new super powder from Hodgdon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The VLD has done very well for me, both close and far. The NBT is a proven killer but the BC advantage of the VLD works better for me at longer range.

Yes I have shot them ( VLDs) into shoulders at close range and liked the results.

Been there and done that and it worked quite well. smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by EddyBo
If you want a real eye opener on Berger's on game performance go over to long range hunting and search for the "bullet tests" by "RoyinIdaho"

He strung up a great big ole pig and did some terminal performance testing. I think there are 3 or 4 threads relating to his tests.

Hey!!! That was me testing the Bergers on that hog with RoyinIdaho! Damn that was a big hog!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In my WSM I am using the 168 Hunting version. In my RUM I use the 185 Hunting version. The 168's have performed very well for me close and far.

Brad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cross
Originally Posted by EddyBo

Hey!!! That was me testing the Bergers on that hog with RoyinIdaho! Damn that was a big hog!

Cool, How is he doing, I lost track of him. Last I heard he was getting a 375 CT, but have not heard anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Look at it this way Coyote. I as a VLD user, love the challenge of getting better angles for my killing shots (less than 30 degrees).

I will also point out, that my VLD performances in the field, match the performance claims by Berger for their hunting VLDs.

And, in all my 45+ years of hunting, I`ve never once had the occasion to shoot an animal in the azz hoping for a full length bodily penetration as a last resort.

I`ll keep in mind your "what if" this happens and what "if that" happens scenarios. But, I`m not worried in the least.

bigsqueeze �

Getting closer is fine, but that isn�t always possible. Sometimes you take that shot at the range it is presented or go home empty-handed. I�ve done it both ways, with no regrets, and will continue to do so.

That said, I don�t know anyone that goes out looking to shoot an animal in the hind quarter. That certainly wasn�t my intent when I took a quartering shot at a buck in 2007, but hind quarter it was. Frankly, I wasn�t worried at the time either � partly because it had never happened to me before and partly because I had reason to believe the bullet I was using was up to the task if things went wrong. Things did go wrong and the bullet proved itself up to the task, penetrating from ham to sternum - much further than Berger says a VLD will do.

The big promise of the VLDs is they drop game quicker. The North Forks, MRX and TTSX I�ve been using have been dropping animals before I can recover from the recoil. If the VLDs are faster I�ll never notice the difference � nor will the game.

Keep using those VLDs if you like - I�ll stick with others and everyone goes home happy.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Look at it this way Coyote. I as a VLD user, love the challenge of getting better angles for my killing shots (less than 30 degrees).

bigsqueeze �

Getting closer is fine, but that isn�t always possible. Sometimes you take that shot at the range it is presented or go home empty-handed. I�ve done it both ways, with no regrets, and will continue to do so.

That said, I don�t know anyone that goes out looking to shoot an animal in the hind quarter. That certainly wasn�t my intent when I took a quartering shot at a buck in 2007, but hind quarter it was. Frankly, I wasn�t worried at the time either � partly because it had never happened to me before and partly because I had reason to believe the bullet I was using was up to the task if things went wrong. Things did go wrong and the bullet proved itself up to the task, penetrating from ham to sternum - much further than Berger says a VLD will do.

The big promise of the VLDs is they drop game quicker. The North Forks, MRX and TTSX I�ve been using have been dropping animals before I can recover from the recoil. If the VLDs are faster I�ll never notice the difference � nor will the game.

Keep using those VLDs if you like - I�ll stick with others and everyone goes home happy.
.....................We are all "guaranteed" to pay taxes and "guaranteed" to eventually die. Everything else, including any "what if" scenarios on a hunt can be considered as hypotheticals.

But I do understand where you are coming from.

But in order to find out if there are any differences in dropping game faster between the VLDs and the bullets you are using now, wouldn`t you need to try the VLDs on a few hunts in order to make that assessment?

Just a thought!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

.....................We are all "guaranteed" to pay taxes and "guaranteed" to eventually die. Everything else, including any "what if" scenarios on a hunt can be considered as hypotheticals.

But I do understand where you are coming from.

But in order to find out if there are any differences in dropping game faster between the VLDs and the bullets you are using now, wouldn`t you need to try the VLDs on a few hunts in order to make that assessment?

Just a thought!

Hypotheticals, yes, until they happen. My preference is to prepare for the worst and work for the best. Things still don�t always work out as intended. My hunting buddy dropped his first elk, a 5x5 bull, with a neck shot, DRT. Against my advice he tried that on his second with the same bullet and cartridge and we didn�t find it for 24 hours. Stuff happens...

Could VLDs drop game faster? You tell me. Here is my track record since year 2000 for elk:

7mm Rem Mag, 160g Grand Slam, 6x5 bull elk, straight down, struggled to feet, took 2 steps and down (2000)
7mm Rem Mag, 160g Grand Slam, 5x5 bull elk, straight down (2002)
7mm Rem Mag, 160g Grand Slam, cow elk, 40 yards (2002)
.45-70, 350g North Fork, 6x6 elk, straight down (2003)
.300 Win Mag, 180g North Fork, cow elk, 25 yards (2006)
.30-06, 165g North Fork, cow elk, straight down, back up and straight down again on 2nd shot (2007)
.30-06, 165g North Fork, cow elk, straight down, back up and straight down again on 2nd shot (also 2007)
.30-06, 150g AccuBond, cow elk, straight down (2010)

I did have a bad experience with the 7mm RM, a 160g Barnes XLC and an unfortunate buck antelope in 2001, even with 3 good hits to the chest, which is why I never used them again. (Burned the rest up on targets.) Some people think premiums are too much bullet for light game like antelope, and with the 160g XLC I would agree. Others seem to work quite well. Here is my track record on antelope since I started hunting them off and on in 2001:

7mm Rem Mag, 160g XLC, buck antelope, straight down and back up on 1st and 2nd shots, down for good on 3rd shot (2001)
.375 Win, 225g Hornady SP, buck antelope, death leap and DRT (2003)
.308 Win, 168g TTSX, buck antelope, straight down (2008)
.257 Roberts, 100g TTSX, doe antelope, 25 yards (2009)
.257 Roberts, 100g TTSX, doe antelope, straight down (2010)
6.5-06AI, 130g Scirocco II, doe antelope, straight down (2010)

I might add that I took my son-in-law antelope hunting in 2009 and again in 2010. Also took two nephews on their first antelope hunt in 2010. They accounted for three more antelope, as follows, using my handloads:
.30-06, 168g TTSX, doe antelope, straight down (2009)
.30-06, 150g AccuBond, buck antelope, straight down (2010)
.30-06, 150g AccuBond, doe antelope, straight down (2010)

Take out the 7mm 160g XLC and the track record is pretty good. VLDs might result in animals going straight down as well, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference, even with a stopwatch.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/11/11. Reason: Added "struggled to feet, took 2 steps and down " to 2000 elk

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.