Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Coyote... .have you placed a Berger into an elk?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoelk

No. I quit using standard cup and cores for elk in the early 1980's when I switched to Grand Slams.

Edited to add:

Nor do I intend to try them. I'm quite happy with what I currently use. In the event that I need to put down a fleeing and possibly wounded elk or end up with a shot like the aforementioned buck where a quartering away shot turned into a ham shot, I have confidence my choice will provide better penetration than the Bergers on bad angles, based on my experience with my choices and reports from both Berger users and Berger themselves.

I'm not trying to sway VLD lovers from their choice, just explaining mine.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/11/11.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Driving drunk is bad. Do I have to drive drunk and injure someone to prove that?

I do not drink and have no plans to change.

I will not experiment on big game with your new 'magical' bullet, either.

I have no desire to jump on this cable-show bandwagon.

It's nothing new, just groupie marketing.

I have no dog in this hunt. I've never shot a Berger at a game animal, but I've put several hundred downrange.

This is a ridiculous comparison though. Pretty much everyone agrees that driving drunk is a bad idea. It can kill innocent people, plus it'll get you thrown in jail.

But not everyone agrees on the use of any bullet, much less one specific brand, on big game animals especially big ones like elk. There are a lot of different opinions on Bergers, some based on experience, others not.

Personally, when I sift through the chaff on this or any internet site, trying to stick to the wheat, I like to hear what a poster's personal experience is with the product under discussion.

So the question "have you done it" is a good one in my opinion.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
going straight down is STILL and always will be a matter much more so of shot placement, than bullet choice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

I know you firmly believe that, and of course to a certain extent it's true. On average, a spine hit will drop them faster than a lung hit!

But it's not what the forensic guys who study bullet wounds say, about chest cavity hits. They say that, on average, drop-time is related to the amount of vital tissue damage. And that's what I've seen as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think...speed/shock/tissue damage and placement all come into play.

If I could get the bergers to shoot I'd love to do some serious testing for a couple years. Problemo is, they've been a curse to me aside from one gun (788/Carbine in 7/08 which is a jelly bean gun, meaning it'll shoot jelley beans into sub moa...grin).

And, I've kind of reached an age where I just wanna go hunt and don't feel the desire to dick around with other bullets like I once did.

Now my question to my elders (Bob,Ingwe, JB...grin) is that maturity or older age creaping in?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

One of the side-effects of maturity is not having as much time as we did when we were young and, ah, irresponsible (that is, until we retire and can theoreticaly do anything we want). Plus, we have more experience. Between the two, we feel less need to dick around with new stuff, since experimenting is by definition almost always something of a waste of time.

I feel the same thing, quite often, even though I'm paid to experiment!

By the way, I've also found Berger VLD's take more effort to get to shoot than, say, Ballistic Tips. But when the rioght combo of powder and seating depth can be found, they REALLY SHOOT.

Of course, the very first rifle I tried them in was my NULA .30-06, and the 185's started shooting sub-half-inch consistently, right off the bat, with 58.0 grains of Ramshot Hunter. That ommediate gratification helped in continuing the experimentation. By this point I'm reasonably certain the the right throat has a lot to do with whether they'll shoot or not as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by wyoelk

No. I quit using standard cup and cores for elk in the early 1980's when I switched to Grand Slams.

Put a few of those into some elk as well. Good bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

And, I've kind of reached an age where I just wanna go hunt and don't feel the desire to dick around with other bullets like I once did.

Now my question to my elders (Bob,Ingwe, JB...grin) is that maturity or older age creaping in?

Dober:I think it's a lack of desire to mess around once you have a combination or two that works over a long period of time and enough animals....and you stop worrying that something else might work "better" because the truth is very few North American hunters will ever shoot enough BG with a great enough cross section of available bullets to get a clear indication of what they all do....at some point you decide ..."am I gonna go hunting or am I gonna test bullets.."?

Those that run around shooting a few animals with "this" or "that",and drawing fast conclusions about whether it's better than something else have not gathered any real data.....they have only gathered an insignificant sampling.....
gun writers who hunt,cull hunters in Africa or Australia,guides who specialize in certain species,and professional hunters are better positioned to shoot a lot of game or see a lot shot and evaluate bullets......the rest of us are better served, I think to pick a couple of well proven designs and stick with them.....that's the only way a guy learns anything about his choices,if he gets to hunt enough. smile

Jumping from this and that to something else is a time consuming and expensive path to nowhere.One eventually figures out that range time (precious) is better spent practicing your own shooting skills than worrying about tiny groups and fractional differences in killing performance between bullets having similar design characteristics.

One bull elk with a Berger or a Swift Aframe is not a valid "test" IMHO. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jumping from this and that to something else is a time consuming and expensive path to nowhere.One eventually figures out that range time (precious) is better spent practicing your own shooting skills than worrying about tiny groups and fractional differences in killing performance between bullets having similar design characteristics.

Once again Bob the voice of reason and sound advice.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam: BTDT.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 163bc

Well said!

Lefty C

Once again Bob the voice of reason and sound advice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam: BTDT.... smile

yep me too. I'll keep shootin Partitions & Accubonds.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Once again I'm a little late to the topic, lots of good stuff. I identify with Bob and Dober when they say they are just about through dick'n around with new bullets. I gave up dick'n around some years ago looking for a serious BG bullet. My choice suits me, I make no claims that my choice somehow makes your choice second rate. So don't waste your time trying to straightening me out. I'm often wrong but I'm seldom in doubt. My choice when I'm serious..Nosler Partitions. Big or little, near or far, good angle or bad. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And a fine one it is!

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I started using Ballistic Tips in the 1980's... have never recovered one and have always liked the results. My 308 would have been stoked with 168 NBT's this year could I have found even one box for sale. I used my supply up shooting fascinating little groups from the bench!

I settled for 165 Accubonds which don't shoot nearly as well as the 168 NBT's in my rifle. I doubt the results would have been different with the Ballistic Tips.

Have no need to try VLD's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
M.D. Are you out there? I don't want to hijack this topic but I have a question for you. I just counted the Nosler Partitions I've recovered or the past twenty years or so, there are 15, .270cal. through 180gr 30cal. Antelope to bull elk. I honestly don't know how exactly many animals I've killed with various Nosler Partitions in that twenty year period, but it would be 60 head or so. You do the math. My question goes to why others find so few NBT when I seem to be finding so many Partitions. Seems like it should be the other way around. I also have a lot of recovered Hornadys, but that's another story. Thoughts?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess would be that many hunters use Ballistic Tips on smaller animals like deer, or are so concerned about whether or not they'll penetrate that they don't take shots that require much penetration.

I have recovered some Ballistic Tips, because I've used them on some tougher-angle shots and also on some pretty sizeable animals. Most of the ones I've recovered have been in the rear halves of animals I shot in the front end, like the 120-grain 6.5 I found under the hide of the rump of a pronghorn doe taken with a front-angling shot last fall. I also have the mushroomed remains of a 200-grain .338 that did the same thing on a bull gemsbok--after smashing both the near shoulder and the spine between the bull's shoulders. But I have also shot lengthwise through some deer-sized animals with Ballistic Tips.

A lot more Partitions have been recovered, probably because I've shot so many animals with them in calibers from .224 to .416. But the percentage recovered is pretty small, probably 15-20% of the animals shot, and most of those were also on angling or full-length shots.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, Mule deer. Another thought, because I like to examine bullet performance I maybe put out more effort to fine them than others do. Anyway I thought it interesting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I try hard to find them as well, and can only recall maybe 2-3 times when a bullet inside an animal couldn't be found.

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (320090T, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 24 invisible), 1,238 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,942
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.