Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hello guys,

I have a buddy out in Phoenix that has decided to get into hunting. He's already put in for an Elk permit without even owning a gun.

He's likely going to be hunting deer mostly and if extremely lucky an elk.

What would you guys suggest for him cartridge wise for hunting in the areas surrounding Phoenix?

Keep in mind very inexperienced shooter.

Tom

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
An inexperienced shooter needs experience, needs to get a rifle he likes and spend time seeing what it (and he) can do. I would think a non-magnum would be preferable. It's hard to beat a 30-06 for general use like that. Using bullet selection to fit the game being sought, and LOTS of pre-hunt practice would be my idea of the best way to start.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, a 30/06 will be tough to beat. Remington low recoil stuff to start out with or light load handloads from a friend (you?) then moving up as confidence and need arise.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I was hoping to hear a bit about the terrain. Are the shots mostly long range shots etc...

Anyone actually hunt out that way?

Thanks

Tom

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tom,

Where, around Phoenix, is your buddy thinking? Has he sorta scouted out some areas? What's he thinking of hunting -- mule deer, Coues whitetail deer, javelina, quail?

If he's put in for elk, he's definitely not going to be around Phoenix, and if he gets drawn he'll probably end up doing a good survey of that hunting unit. Being in Phoenix he's pretty central to lots of differetn country, so he aughta be getting out and scouting likely areas...especially before it gets to close to the hot part of the year.

Tony

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Arizona has some very diverse terrain in the same unit. Unit 9 for example, has some trophy Elk. Up near the canyon, he won't get get off a 100 yard shot in most areas because of the trees. But get him farther East, closer to power lines and he could take a 1000 yard shot easy.

Agree with the 30-06. There are a ton of other calibers people use here. Met a woman in Williams who has just one rifle, a 243, that she used on here bull. My cousin has a 338 WM. A guy at our range has a bunch of competition rifles but only one hunting rifle, a 375 H&H.

I put in for a general bull hunt in the middle of the rut that covers three units (1,2B,2C) as my first choice and the same hunt a little earlier but Muzzle Loader only as my second choice.

I put in for bull just because I'm accumulating points. If he is just starting out, he might be more successful and willing to continue hunting if he put in for a cow elk as his first hunt. More tags, easier draw. He can get an over the counter non-permit tag, but those units are hard hunting for a reason.

Mule Deer can be spotty at times and chalk full the next. Coues, or tiny deer as I call them, are sneaky little boogers.

There are also other other big game and varmints / predators that can feed his love for hunting that don't require a tag just a hunting license. One in particular doesn't even require a hunting license, Feral Pigs. They are in the State and if you can find them, remember two simple rules G&F told me. Make sure you're in Public Lands a quarter mile from the nearest residence and DO NOT SHOOT SOMEONES PET. Seriously that's what Yuma G&F's game manager (cop) told me.

Lots of AZ hunters here (see above) as well with more advise.

Oh, and this is a personal preference, keep to units north of the Homeland Security meridian. Lots of guns down there and not all of them friendly.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or, if hunting that meridian, have him get an HK91 or CETME in 308 with a Barret model 82 semi auto in 50BMG for a 'truck gun'. Never can tell what kind of varmint shooting opportunities might arise down there. Dirty rotten shame that we Americans have to be careful about hunting our own public lands.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh.... and pet pigs is good eaten! Don't ask me how I know.....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
LOL that's funny. Barret does make some nice equipment but lets not exclude the local manufactures in Dillon and POF. Now a Dillon 7.62 door gun is a game changer.

Last edited by HaYen; 02/09/11.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks a lot for the info. I will pass it along.

Tom

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I thought the shots would be longer out there. I sort of expected folks to be wanting the mags.

Tom

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 204guy, 1lessdog, 20 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,447
Posts18,507,903
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.