Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Looks like the era of the stainless Ruger #1 is about to close. They have now been removed from the Ruger website and the new distributor catalog I got a few days ago lists the last two stainless guns, #1S in .45-70 and .375 Ruger as closeouts...

I've had several #1s but my favorite two, and the only two I have left, are the #1H in .405 Winchester and a #1A in 7.62x39...both are stainless.

Kinda makes me wish I had bought that 1#A stainless .257 Robers I saw last month for $795.00...

Anyone else miss the stainless #1s?

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have long wanted a #1 in 300win mag, but saving up for one was out of my reach... especially after we had kids. I figured it was all just a pipe dream and made myself be happy with the rifle i already had. Then by shear luck a guy with a stainless #1 300 win mag was looking for 7600 35 Whelen, which I happened to have. We worked out a trade deal, and I now have my dream rifle.

I topped it with a silver Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 and killed 2 deer the following day. It is on my "will never be sold" list and will be handed down to my grandson one day.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RJM
Looks like the era of the stainless Ruger #1 is about to close. They have now been removed from the Ruger website and the new distributor catalog I got a few days ago lists the last two stainless guns, #1S in .45-70 and .375 Ruger as closeouts...

I've had several #1s but my favorite two, and the only two I have left, are the #1H in .405 Winchester and a #1A in 7.62x39...both are stainless.

Kinda makes me wish I had bought that 1#A stainless .257 Robers I saw last month for $795.00...

Anyone else miss the stainless #1s?

Bob

Bob,

It is with mixed feelings that I read the above... frown Personally, I never really lusted after a SS #1, That said, however, I have 3 - a .405 Win, a 6.5x55, and .35 Whelen.

Kind of makes me wonder what the status of the promised K1-A in .250 Sav. is. It may never happen now. Or better yet, it may come in Blue/Walnut. smile

All in all, tho' I really hate to see the trimming of the product line. I like to see options, even if they are options that I don't care for. I fear now that the K1-A in 7.62x39 may become so pricey, that I may never get one. frown

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dunno, but for some reason the #1 doesn't look right in SS... wood and blued it looks just right...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of stainless rifles of any type, especially #1's. My only #1 is blue and walnut. I figure if you want stainless you might as well get an Encore (which I've done). They're butt-ugly already (but they work.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have mixed feelings about the stainless No. 1's. I do like them, but I also believe the standard blued version is even better. My sons prefer the stainless and that is what they want and I happily live and hunt with that...

I feel bad about the disappearing No. 1 as a product line from Ruger. They are great rifles, but I guess not enough of us feel that way.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd take a stainless 1A 303 brit with black synthetic stocks.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the SS/Walnut #1's but have not purchased one...., but it seems to me watching prices, the SS/walnuts go faster and for more money than their Blued/Walnut counterparts. .i.e GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Walnut and ss don't work imho, especially in the single shot setup.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned a SS and Lam. This combo that Ruger has recently offered across several calibers and models seems a little wacky. The SS metal is nice, so you don't have to worry about the rust factor, but the Laminate stock, usually thought of to keep a bolt action rifle from swelling walnut shifting bullet impact, just doesn't go with a "classy, traditional rifle".

The Lipsey Walnut/SS combos, always 250 at a batch, I have owned the 7.62x39, 257 Roberts, and 6.5 Swede are sweet rifles. If Ruger offered these at reasonable prices, should not cost more than a blue/walnut would sell.

To me, the same guy who likes SS/Laminate, probably likes bolt guns with synthetic stocks.

Just my opinion.

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
I owned a SS and Lam. This combo that Ruger has recently offered across several calibers and models seems a little wacky. The SS metal is nice, so you don't have to worry about the rust factor, but the Laminate stock, usually thought of to keep a bolt action rifle from swelling walnut shifting bullet impact, just doesn't go with a "classy, traditional rifle".

The Lipsey Walnut/SS combos, always 250 at a batch, I have owned the 7.62x39, 257 Roberts, and 6.5 Swede are sweet rifles. If Ruger offered these at reasonable prices, should not cost more than a blue/walnut would sell.

To me, the same guy who likes SS/Laminate, probably likes bolt guns with synthetic stocks.

Just my opinion.

Mitch

Dead wrong there, buddy! I would pick a blue/walnut No.1 any day BUT I got a screaming deal on my SS/Lam .375 Holly and I like its contrast. It just looks good to me--if not as 'pretty' or 'right' as a blue/walnut. I also have seen a couple of those SS/Walnut 6.5's and I could be talked into one of those very easily (and just might someday!).

Even though I like my SS/lam Holly I HATE synthetic/fiberglass/plastic stocks on rilfes. I see all these rifles with their painted camo or McSwirly stocks and I fight a gag reflex but to each his own. Obviously, a lot of guys dig it.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I truly wish I had bought one of the SS/Laminated 1-B's in 7mm STW before they disappeared. I kept putting it off just because nowhere I hunt these days justified the reach of the STW. Still, wish I'd bought one. If a decent used one comes along when I've got some mad money, I won't hestitate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My thoughts on a stainless steel #1 is this. I really like the Ruger Number 1 for a hunting rifle for a lot of different reasons.I really see a need for at least one stainless steel hunting rifle in the group of rifles I hunt with.So whats is there not to like? The only down side IMO is they are not light. I'm 6'3" and 250lb's so whats another 2-3 lb's ? I have one stainless steel number 1 in 25/06 and I shoot it well. When the weathers bad the stainless steel number 1 comes out.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Overtime, I have come to a point where I acquired so many #1s that most of the SS models I had were taking up safe space meant for for the wood and blue #1s which I prefer.

I sold off almost all of the SS models except for two SS/laminates -- a 7mm 08 B and a .375 H&H. They both shot exceptionally well out of the box with only minimal fiddling -- just trigger work and a real recoil pad for the H&H -- using almost anything I fed them.

The sporting weight barreled K1As I had -- .35 Welen and 257 Roberts -- gave me run of the mill results and I did not want to invest more in them for accurizing. I never got a chance to fire the STW. The K1As both had nice wood though.

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 Ruger #1's. Both are blue/wood, very nice wood. I have several SS/Syn bolts for bad weather. I'm sorry, but I have never considered a #1 in SS.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think a No.1 with a matte stainless and Walnut would look sweet!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about this one?

7x57 RSI stainless

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a single shot.

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But damn nice is all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When they are gone alot of people will want one.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.