Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
After reading the topic "Sierra has lost the market" I was just wondering how many people stand by the sierra bullet? I shoot it in almost exclusively from paper (matchkings) to critters (gamekings). I will admit one of my guns likes Hornady Amax's. Just seeing what people think....

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
i still shoot a lot of them 6.5 142'sMK (260) HP shilhoutte and a good part of the shilhoutte crowd does too. One thing i always wonder you get some people telling how great MK are for hunting or how bad GK are sometimes i think they dont know which they have just know it is hollow point bt. from sierra

Last edited by ldholton; 02/07/11.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't used the matchkings for hunting, but I do use the 165 hollow point bt Gamekings for deer in my .308. My dad started loading them for me as a kid, and now I load them for myself. They always worked well for me. Shooting through the shoulder or right behind it either one, they always did the trick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TNsavageman
After reading the topic "Sierra has lost the market" I was just wondering how many people stand by the sierra bullet? I shoot it in almost exclusively from paper (matchkings) to critters (gamekings). I will admit one of my guns likes Hornady Amax's. Just seeing what people think....

The whole premise of that thread is pretty stupid.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will do me fine if folks buy into the other post, and decide to shoot other more popular bullets.

If people would also decide to sell off their stash's of 50gr Blitz Varminter's, at a serious discount just to be shed of these "lost souls", I would appreciate it as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have always been fond of Sierra bullets, but they must compete with other brands that go down the barrel of a rifle.

They see a lot of use.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I use Sierra almost exclusively, paper, game, varmints, and predators. I do shoot the 75 gr. AMax out of a 223 that has a 1 in 9 twist barrel because it won't handle the 80 gr. Sierra. I shoot some 90 gr. TNT's out of my Grendel. But over 90 percent of the bullets I shoot are Sierra's.

PaPa260

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The Federal factory loading with the 150 Sierra Pro Hunter soft point has been the most accurate out of my Rem 700 300WM!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I only use sierra's in my 338 (250 gr. gameking). I also use the 53 gr. hp in my 223 and they shoot great. For the most part, I switched everything else to hornady interlocks because they are cheaper. When I'm using my 300 win mag, I prefer the partition. For the most part I let my rifles tell me what they prefer and I go with it grin. My 308's are going to get a taste of the sierra's very soon because they are not liking the hornady's. Does that help?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use the Sierra #1710 6.5 in 100 grain hollow point. It works great on paper but really makes a mess of any varmint that I shoot. It seems to turn the varmint inside out, has cut thru ribs like a knife, and has started skinning the animal for me. They are just hard to find in stores.

No complaints here. If I could only get that Ky windage down for 3" high at 100.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TNsavageman
I haven't used the matchkings for hunting, but I do use the 165 hollow point bt Gamekings for deer in my .308. My dad started loading them for me as a kid, and now I load them for myself. They always worked well for me. Shooting through the shoulder or right behind it either one, they always did the trick.

x2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot a bunch of Sierra bullets in my rifles. My 25-06 loves their bullets. My go to Coyote load for my AR is the 60gr sierra varminter. Last 2 deer I have shot where both busted with their .308 165 btsp out of my 30-06. Yup sounds like nobody is shooting them!!!

P.S. I shoot a bunch of hornady and barnes bullets too.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have no way of knowing how many MKs I've bought but it has to be in the tens of thousands. I've also used their Pro Hunter game bullets with no complaints but I've never singled them out like I do the MKs.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My quote from the other post:

I tested 16 hunting bullets in my .221 Fireball. The two most accurate bullets of the bunch turned out to be the 40 gr BlitzKing and the 50 gr Blitz Med. Vel.

Both Sierra's.

Who would have guessed?

I think I like Sierra's just fine and think they are a good company.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The 50 gr Blitz is one of my preferred for my .223.

Very accurate and makes a large mess of anything that it hits.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This internet can really suck when people go into rumor mode.
I like the green boxed bullets and they have never let me down!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by whelennut
This internet can really suck when people go into rumor mode...

Too true. One of the Internet's biggest failings is the blazing speed with which idiots spread half-baked opinions. For example,

Someone's 223 Remington 700 doesn't shoot Sierras into tight groups like it does with Hornadys or Bergers. Conclusion: All things Sierra are crap.

We know that this statement about Sierra (or anything else they have a "qualified" opinion about) is true and accurate because:

a) According to their previous posts, they shoot 1000s of rounds annually and are expert shots,
b) They were in the service and received "special training",
c) They have tested every bullet from every manufacturer, in every weight, including imported bullets,
d) Use pictures of targets to support their assertions, and
e) They will argue with anyone, stating that the experiences of others are of no consequence and they alone are qualified to render an opinion.

There are other things that are used to support competence. Competitive shooter. Tactical team member. Police/military member (active or retired).

Everyone is a Tactical Ninja on the Internets!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Especially them who's trump card is a 303Brit................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by whelennut
This internet can really suck when people go into rumor mode...

Too true. One of the Internet's biggest failings is the blazing speed with which idiots spread half-baked opinions. For example,

Someone's 223 Remington 700 doesn't shoot Sierras into tight groups like it does with Hornadys or Bergers. Conclusion: All things Sierra are crap.

We know that this statement about Sierra (or anything else they have a "qualified" opinion about) is true and accurate because:

a) According to their previous posts, they shoot 1000s of rounds annually and are expert shots,
b) They were in the service and received "special training",
c) They have tested every bullet from every manufacturer, in every weight, including imported bullets,
d) Use pictures of targets to support their assertions, and
e) They will argue with anyone, stating that the experiences of others are of no consequence and they alone are qualified to render an opinion.

There are other things that are used to support competence. Competitive shooter. Tactical team member. Police/military member (active or retired).

Everyone is a Tactical Ninja on the Internets!

No wonder the communists never invaded our country! grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've killed qutie a bit of game with Sierra's.So far I've never had any of the infamous boolit failure others experience with Sierras.Think I'll keep using 'em.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.