Print Thread
Hop To
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am getting ready to purchase a 9mm handgun. Probably going to get the P239. Everything I read about them is great. I have handled one and like it very much. My only concern, and I am probably blowing this out of proportion is that it appears that on Sigs in general you have to grease the slides to prevent wear. Oil apperantly doesn't cut it with these. Seems to me that the grease would make a mess and collect a lot of dirt. If I don't go with the Sig I will go with an HK P2000. I would love to hear some feedback on this.

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 1 drop of oil on my SIG slides when I clean them. So far no problems, and I shoot several thousand rounds per year in my X-5. No signs of any excessive wear. I would expect the same in a P239 (which I also have). A P239 is probably not going to see thousands or even hundreds, of rounds.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 02/05/11.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a P239 in 357 SIG. I've owned it for years and a drop of oil on the rails after cleaning is suffice. I stopped using oil 3 years ago and started using tetris gun grease because after a few days of carring IWB inside a leather holster the oil would run off and collect in the holster leather. The grease is applied very sparingly on the rails and inside the slide around the BBL. It stays put, doesn't run, and won't dry out as oil will. It cleans up very easy with a wipe of a clean rag. I think the grease is superior to oil for lubrication unless you live in a very cold enviroment and don't keep your pistol warm. Mine is always on my waist or in the house. I now use TETRA on my P220,S&W MP45C,and Baretta Cougar 9mm. Just don't glob it on. I apply a drop every 1/2 inch and smear it over with my finger. Excess gets swabbed with a Q-tip. One tube of TETRA will last a long time. By the way, your going to love that 239. The single stack is slim and conceals very nicely under a loose button up shirt during those hot,humid dog days of summer! I think its the perfect blend of length, width, and height. Those P239's are noted for their accuracy. Get spare mags while you can. GUNS OUT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife and I both have several Sigs, they are very good pistols, if you can get by that first pull on the trigger and still hit your target. Now my wife could not, so in went a spring kit but still she had problems......parked the Sig P-239 in the safe and carrys her Glock 27 instead.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 0369GYSGT
I stopped using oil 3 years ago and started using tetris gun grease because after a few days of carring IWB inside a leather holster the oil would run off and collect in the holster leather. The grease is applied very sparingly on the rails and inside the slide around the BBL. It stays put, doesn't run, and won't dry out as oil will. It cleans up very easy with a wipe of a clean rag. I think the grease is superior to oil for lubrication unless you live in a very cold enviroment and don't keep your pistol warm. Mine is always on my waist or in the house. I now use TETRA on my P220,S&W MP45C,and Baretta Cougar 9mm. Just don't glob it on. I apply a drop every 1/2 inch and smear it over with my finger. Excess gets swabbed with a Q-tip. One tube of TETRA will last a long time.
This message brought to you by TETRA�. And remember, if it doesn't say TETRA�, it's just greasy kid stuff. crazy

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
You dont have to use it, I own more Sigs than I can count, I have W. German 226 that has between 15-20k through it, used oil all its life and the frame rails look identical to my newer 226 that only has 2k through it.

I also own a P2000SK, I like it too. You cant go wrong either way. The stuff you read about the frame rails is posted by people who dont like to use holsters either becaue it causes the slide finish to wear faster. Hype and paranoia.

Its a carry gun, it is what it is. The Sig will more than likely outlast you.

I have to say, if you have oil collecting in your holster you should cut back a bit. Sigs dont like or need to be wet to work.

Last edited by warpig602; 02/06/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I stopped using oil 3 years ago and started using tetris gun grease because after a few days of carring IWB inside a leather holster the oil would run off and collect in the holster leather. The grease is applied very sparingly on the rails and inside the slide around the BBL. It stays put, doesn't run, and won't dry out as oil will. It cleans up very easy with a wipe of a clean rag. I think the grease is superior to oil for lubrication unless you live in a very cold enviroment and don't keep your pistol warm. Mine is always on my waist or in the house. I now use TETRA on my P220,S&W MP45C,and Baretta Cougar 9mm. Just don't glob it on. I apply a drop every 1/2 inch and smear it over with my finger. Excess gets swabbed with a Q-tip. One tube of TETRA will last a long time.
This message brought to you by TETRA�. And remember, if it doesn't say TETRA�, it's just greasy kid stuff. crazy

Ha ha! Yeah, I have a Sig p239. I carry it now, and have never used anything quite so advanced to clean / lube mine.

By the way, I looked into the Tetra. Oh sorry, "TETRA" (The marketing plug worked.) And I can't find any.. I do know of a similar product.. Gun Butter.

A few guys who have AR15s and M4s use Gun Butter to ease cleaning and keep things cycling in extreme conditions. (True Story) It has helped these usually fickle platforms cycle malfunction-free in temperatures from the 'teens' in Afghanistan to 100+ degrees in Iraq. You know, conditions similar to what our IWB Sigs will experience.

Obviously there is a need for stuff like that, but know your intended use and conditions. Just like many of the other replies to this thread: I use a 3 dollar bottle of oil for my Sig. And I've never had an issue.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My above post was not a marketing gimmick. Just my observation of what works for me. I have no affiliation with tetris at all. Any gun grease will work, tetris is available here locally. I found a light coating of oil had to be applied too often, and too much ran off into my holster. Grease stays put. My findings are consistant with other members on other sites. I try to be an asset to this site and if I can contribute from experience, I will without being a joker. GUNS OUT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My above post was not a marketing gimmick.
Sure it wasn't.

I have no affiliation with tetris at all.
Sure you don't.

My findings are consistant with other members on other sites.
And we all believe whatever someone posts on the internet.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My post count says it all. To OP: Try the grease, whatever flavor you desire, see what works for you. GUNS OUT.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lawnman

My only concern, and I am probably blowing this out of proportion is that it appears that on Sigs in general you have to grease the slides to prevent wear. Oil apperantly doesn't cut it with these. Seems to me that the grease would make a mess and collect a lot of dirt. If I don't go with the Sig I will go with an HK P2000. I would love to hear some feedback on this.

I only oil mine and my oldest who is a LEO only oils his too.

I only point out my boy is a LEO to highlight the use case (he calls mine a �Box Gun").

That said you are hard pressed to go wrong with an H&K either. I have a USP also and it too is first class.

Last edited by temmi; 02/09/11. Reason: Fix

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My post count says it all.
Your post count says what exactly? Mule Deer has quite a few more than you and he's a published writer; various KNOWN gunsmiths have more than you and him. By your "logic," you would then be a SHILL whose only purpose in life is to act as a carnival barker/guerrilla marketeer.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_marketing

Jesus Christ, your intentions are laughably transparent. Couldn't you have been just a little more imaginative?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My post count over the few years says that I'm not one to post a whole lot online. I follow this site to learn and if I can give advice, I will. I've carried weapons for a living for my whole adult life and I know I don't know everything. Everyday is a training day. I refuse to argue with others online because it gets nowhere. You can sling more mud if you want, I don't care. I'll move on to another topic and feel confident I offered my experience with grease on pistols. GUNS OUT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I refuse to argue with others online because it gets nowhere.
This is an excuse offered by someone who knows their ass has been HAD.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What does SIG recommend?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
What does SIG recommend?

Good question. I'll check their site.. ahh. Here it is:

"If it's shinny, Lube it."

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/MaintenanceGuides.aspx

see the "Lubrication" link.

Skivvy Out

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On my 229, I don't use anything close to the amount of lube that guy uses, and I've never had a problem. I use Break Free, and it gets cleaned once a month.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
On my 229, I don't use anything close to the amount of lube that guy uses, and I've never had a problem. I use Break Free, and it gets cleaned once a month.

You mean the Sig guy? If so, then I agree. But hey, it's the manufacturer's site.

In the service, I learned put the lube on a rag (like the vid) lube everything, then wipe it all off. Make sure some was left on the slide where it meets the lower, the guide rod, and the barrel. That method has worked for my Sig so far. And it worked for the M9s that I'm pretty sure were 'fielded' in the 80s. However, this seems like it comes down to personal opinion.

Everyone knows how to maintain their car, (which costs 50 times what your pistol did.. yes even your sig.) but who listens when someone comes along and tells you: "There is only one way to do that, MY WAY."

Not me.

Last edited by Skivvy; 02/18/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.