Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Craigslist had a Winchester 1907 10 gauge 400 bucks, missed it by ten minutes. And elderly lady answered the phone I don't think she knew what she had

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At a gun show 2 years ago, I saw a Husqvarna bolt action (FN Supreme action in 270 Winchester) in mint condition with a Leupold VX-III scope on top. All for $350! I picked it up and asked the guy at the table about it and he said he wanted to sell it quickly. I don't like the 270 Winchester, so I put it down; then I realized that the scope itself was worth more than $350. I immediately turned around as someone said "I'll buy it".

That was the biggest bargain I've ever missed!

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
thats why we keep looking we just need to know what we have when we have it

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A couple of years ago, I helped a widow clean out her garage. She wanted to pay me, but I declined, so she decided to give me a .22. Out comes her father's mint 1906 Winchester, lovingly cared for since he bought it with his paper route money. I told her to pass it on down through the family, as it was valuable in monetary and sentimental measures. I did leave with a Winchester 150, though, and we were both happy!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Irving, I think you mean a 1901 Winchester 10 Ga. the 1907 is a 351 auto loading rifle! Either way ,yes you missed a deal thats for sure. Don

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think most of us have been in the same boat! frown

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I walked into the Boise gunshow a few years ago with only $40 in my pocket. At a table I found a four-digit Ruger No.1 in .22-250 with vertical splits rings on it. The owner said it was his personal rifle and he wanted $250 for it. I asked him if he would take a check. He did.

That's one I didn't miss!

Jim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was at an auction a few years back that had several guns on it. I checked out all the guns and went to sit down. Somewhere along the line somebody brought in a late arrival that apparently nobody seen before the sale started. When they announced it they said Winchester model 70 in .308. I almost bid on it and they said sold at $350 bucks. I went and looked at it later and almost cried. Supergrade Model 70 with a 4.5-14 Zeiss on top. Oops.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Back in the early 80's I had a chance at a Winchester model 12 28ga Skeet, solid rib, unmolested and like new with killer wood. I had a new baby at home and money was tight and I passed....always regreted it.....I think every collecter has a sob story....

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I like my favorite little muzzleloader. When I finished up with college about 5 years ago, I was doing an internship in Utah. I went to a little gunstore, and their was a Lyman great plains .54 for $175. I'd been looking for a used one for a while. It was old, and well taken care of. I asked the owner if he would hold it while I went to get cash, and he did. When I came back, their was a guy there who was trying to buy it. It had only been put on consignment that morning. When I went to pay for it, I mentioned how excited I was for it, and I couldn't wait to get it out in the field. Then handed me back $100. He said it was his friend's elk hunting muzzleloader, and his buddy told him that if it sold to a young guy who was going to use it and not hang it on the wall, only charge him $75. It's not the deal of the lifetime, but I'm still very happy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10 years ago a local gunshop had a LH Sauer 202 in 270 WCF for like $600. I handled it several times but by the time I convinced myself I needed it it had been sold.
The price now for the same rifle would be MUCH higher.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't make ya sick...been there done that. frown

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
My only the miss, that I regret was a savage model 99 in 358 win for 600 bucks last year. I didn't know what I had in my hand at the time. What hurts more lost guns or lost loves

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Many years ago when my son was only 3 and I was a single parent, we went with a coworker of mine to visit an older friend of his. The gentleman was nearing the final stages of cancer and was going to sell his deer rifle to my buddy.

After my coworker made his transaction for the rifle, his ailing friend inquired if he was interested in a .22 pistol, but he declined saying he didn't have much use for them. The elderly gentleman turned to me and asked if I would be interested, and I said of course, as I was currently without one having sold it during the divorce.

He brought out a an old leather holster, flimsy from many years of use, and inside was a Colt Woodsman with a 4" barrel and two magazines. He even had a little leather pouch of cartridges to throw in on the deal. He asked me if I could afford $100 because that's what I want for it and I said yes.

The gentleman became misty eyed when he started recounting all the animals that little pistol had taken. He stated that he had purchased the gun new back in the 50's when he worked in a sporting goods store.

Several years later my coworker offered me that gentlemans Remington 760 Woodsmaster that he had purchased that day and gave him the $100 he had paid for it. I refinished it and gave it to that same little boy that went with me that day many years ago on his 21st birthday. I told him that someday the Woodsman would be his as well, but that those two old guns must always stay together, just as they had for many years with their previous owner.......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
great story...hope they do stay together......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by frogman43
Many years ago when my son was only 3 and I was a single parent, we went with a coworker of mine to visit an older friend of his. The gentleman was nearing the final stages of cancer and was going to sell his deer rifle to my buddy.

After my coworker made his transaction for the rifle, his ailing friend inquired if he was interested in a .22 pistol, but he declined saying he didn't have much use for them. The elderly gentleman turned to me and asked if I would be interested, and I said of course, as I was currently without one having sold it during the divorce.

He brought out a an old leather holster, flimsy from many years of use, and inside was a Colt Woodsman with a 4" barrel and two magazines. He even had a little leather pouch of cartridges to throw in on the deal. He asked me if I could afford $100 because that's what I want for it and I said yes.

The gentleman became misty eyed when he started recounting all the animals that little pistol had taken. He stated that he had purchased the gun new back in the 50's when he worked in a sporting goods store.

Several years later my coworker offered me that gentlemans Remington 760 Woodsmaster that he had purchased that day and gave him the $100 he had paid for it. I refinished it and gave it to that same little boy that went with me that day many years ago on his 21st birthday. I told him that someday the Woodsman would be his as well, but that those two old guns must always stay together, just as they had for many years with their previous owner.......

That, my friend, is a trophy landed. The rest are gun nuts versions of a fisherman's "big one that got away" stories, and believe me, I have my share of both. A pre-64, .257 Roberts for $200 is the first one that comes to mind.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Those sins of omission hurt don't they!!
RLD

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Loggah
Irving, I think you mean a 1901 Winchester 10 Ga. the 1907 is a 351 auto loading rifle! Either way ,yes you missed a deal thats for sure. Don

+1 yes it would of been good deal but you would feel guilty for paying so little to a person who didn't know what they had and prob needed the money

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Great story makes up for the ones that get away

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Missed the gun deal of a lifetime

I didn't, was at a show in Ft. Myers years ago and son & I spotted a rifle with a side mounted scope. Asked the guy what it was and he said "A polish Mauser with homemade mount."

I looked at it and saw Griffin & Howe New York, NY USA on it.

Asked him how much and he said "$300.00 take it or leave it."

I took it and the following Monday called G & H and inquired about it, gave em the SN and a couple of pictures. Turns out it is a Commercial Pre-WWII Mauser action chambered in 30-06 they built for a guy in upstate NY in 1941. Had a Lyman Alaskan all weather 2x scope that was also original to their mfg. Only worth about $7,000.00 till the son broke the stock and I had to restock it. But hey, it is still a G & H rifle.

BTW, the mount & scope is worth about 6-7 hundred on the antique market alone.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 17 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.