-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it royally sucks but when its your time its your time, its absolutely tragic when its a lil kid but unless you put your kid in a padded room there are risks in everything.....give a kid a bike, roller skates, a skateboard, hell let him walk to a friends house, a split second of not paying attention gets them hit by a car crossing a street.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm 64 and rode tractors, drags, wagons etc as a kid. OSHA would have had a cow, and the farmers would have been jailed in today's world. Sad that it happened and sad for the family, but we do not live in an accident free world.

I am a bit older than you and did the same including granpops Case Steam tractor that weighed many tons. He even let me pull the cord on the whistle once in awhile!

One very much like this one.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TLee:

That is neat! I can barely remember some farm scenes where tractors were belted to the stationary combines. Those straw piles were a great place of kids to play. They were real community efforts with hard work, good food, and maybe a $ for the kids at the end of the day. Next were the mobile units that someone rode and sacked the grain. Can you tie a bag or miller's knot?

I've not seen a shock of grain in 50+ years.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gramps even had a big buzz saw platform for cutting lumber with a belt driven off the flywheel.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to make light of a tragic accident, but I love this funny. Reminds me of my brother and I, and just about every other red-blooded American kid back in the day--into everything. Unlike most of the kids I see today. Play outside? What's that? Gimme' my smartphone and my X Box generation. Lame.

[Linked Image]

Terry, that old rig is badass!

Last edited by lhonda; 02/10/11.
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Built a barn this fall for a young guy who wanted to increase his dairy. He has three kids around ages 3,6 and 8, the 8 year old being a boy the other two girls. The girls were inside most of the time but he had all three of them riding in an enclosed cab JD on more than one occasion. He left the three year old asleep in the cab while the tractor was running once for a half an hour while he was talking to a salesman. We always made sure where the kids were whenever we moved vehicles or equipment because they were so casual around equipment. I like the guy and his wife, they're good people, and it is my fervent prayer that no harm comes to their children but I can't say I'll be surprised if it does.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am in my early 60's and can remember riding on those bicycle farmall's on side hills you learn real fast how to operate the equipment on that kind of land or you have an accident real fast.
If I where to let my kids ride with me on a tractor today it would have to be in a cab tractor and doing something simple like just riding around maybe raking hay but not while baling, or tilling the ground or drilling seed just to much to keep track of to have another person in the cab.
I am so very sorry for the families loss but life is a challenge and sometimes we get away with stupid ideas some times we don't.
I can remember when I was in my late 20's and pulling on a dead tree it came crashing down and smashed the fender on my tractor just missing me in the process never did that again. As I said sometimes a stupid idea sounds good until we try it and sometimes we don't get away with it.

In a free country the government doesn't fear its citizens and there firearms. In a crocked government everything is up to be removed even the citizens if they truly believe in freedom.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My prayer and sincerest sympathy to the family, especially the Dad.

Know a guy here that backed over his son 35 years ago. He hasn't been right since. You just never really get over something like this. It's like the death just keeps killing.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, back in the day, some of those old tractors had hand clutches. pull back on those hand clutches and the tractor tips over.

bushhogs with uncovered drive shafts are well known to tear an arm out of their socket, in a near heartbeat.

like guns, farm equipment has the capacity to maim, cripple and kill.

even a garden tiller with sharp edged tines can be a danger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a tragedy, prayers for the family.

Had a great uncle missing his leg below the knee due to a bush hog. Old codger crawled about 400 yards across the mostly cut field, dodging the unmanned tractor that was making loops in the field, kicked down the door to the neighbors house, used the phone to call an ambulance, and then sat back to enjoy a chew of red man. Them old codgers was tough. I think he was 75 when that happened. Six months later he was walking on a prosthesis and did not even have a limp...tough I am telling ya.

IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very sad and fortunately not as common as it use to be.
Back in the day often farm equipment salesman were farmers who lost limbs or part of limbs and went into equipment sales as a result.
I still know of one that has a hook for a hand.
My grandfather ran over and killed his grandson, my cousin, the year I was born.
Another cousin, same family, died in the farm pond, 4 years old.
A top 5 friend and classmate from grades 5-12 was crushed and killed in a tractor roll over this past summer at age 46. He was a exceptional operator too.
Another close classmate lost a younger brother,9, who started a tractor and it took off out the hay mow, out the wall, and killed.
I could go on a long time. Jumping the starter solenoid from the ground with the tractor in gear,, bulls, etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.