Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
PFLR for some bolt rifles, neck for others. FL for levers, autos, or pumps. My favorite combo for bolt rifles is the Lee Collets with a Redding body die to bump the shoulder when the cases get snug. Neck sizing works just fine for hunting rigs, but as mentioned, chamber your cases for your hunting rigs prior to going hunting.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I also think neck sizing is ok for hunting. Chambering every round is a good idea. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a round stuck from dirt because of not FL resizing? I mean if you have that much dirt in the chamber I think it would stick one that has been FL sized also.

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem is if your chamber was out of round to begin with. If the concentricity of the fired case body is good, there shouldn't be any problem.

Having said that, if you had a slight run out on the case body, that would probably be taken care of by FL resizing. I have a rifle that has .004 runout at the base of the chamber that makes it oval. Even FL resizing will not get it to chamber, but if you rotate it to the right position, it will drop in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
I FL size any semi auto, pump, lever, or double rifle anything.

Neck size for a slight crush on closing for the bolt rifles, both hunting and target.

Gunner

I a little different...

I FL size any semi auto, pump, lever, or double rifle...

and anything for hunting.

well really I only FL resize

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Stillbeeman,
Regarding chamber/cartridge canting, I've thought about experimenting with this by taking a few new brass cases, running a larger expanding ball through, PFL the cases, load and shoot and comparing the runout of these to once fired factory loaded brass. I can see where there may be a benefit to this experiment if you are loading new cases for a belted round. I have had rifle chambers that were a bit generous in dimension in a belted round and the factory loaded case expanded significantly.
I've also been wondering that if the new brass case is sized and loaded as mentioned, centered on an axis to the bore and is able to expand equally around its entire width, that it might possibly reduce the case body splitting caused by metal fatigue and may also have an increased case life compared to cases that were factory loaded to begin with and then resized several times.
Again, more food for thought.

That might have some interesting results. I don't do much of anything to my brass until it has been fire formed to the rifle it will be used in but if your method works, it could save quite a bit of wear and tear as well as powder and bullets.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does neck sizing work with Weatherby chamberings also with all the freebore?

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
yes just be sure you have inside the neck lubed good too i seem to sometimes have trouble "pulling" the shoulder foward (lenghten)
in the weatherby cal. guess it is the radius shoulder ? or maybe just me

Last edited by ldholton; 02/14/11.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Freebore shouldn't have anything to do with it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
yes just be sure you have inside the neck lubed good too i seem to sometimes have trouble "pulling" the shoulder foward (lenghten)

I have found Wby/Norma brass to be very soft, which could be your problem "pulling" the shoulder fwd. The radius probably doesn't help. It's so soft you can bend the neck with your thumb at times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Stillbeeman,
Regarding chamber/cartridge canting, I've thought about experimenting with this by taking a few new brass cases, running a larger expanding ball through, PFL the cases, load and shoot and comparing the runout of these to once fired factory loaded brass. I can see where there may be a benefit to this experiment if you are loading new cases for a belted round. I have had rifle chambers that were a bit generous in dimension in a belted round and the factory loaded case expanded significantly.
I've also been wondering that if the new brass case is sized and loaded as mentioned, centered on an axis to the bore and is able to expand equally around its entire width, that it might possibly reduce the case body splitting caused by metal fatigue and may also have an increased case life compared to cases that were factory loaded to begin with and then resized several times.
Again, more food for thought.

That might have some interesting results. I don't do much of anything to my brass until it has been fire formed to the rifle it will be used in but if your method works, it could save quite a bit of wear and tear as well as powder and bullets.

I'll fiddle with it and post back my results
Thanks for your thoughts, BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

I have found Wby/Norma brass to be very soft, which could be your problem "pulling" the shoulder fwd. The radius probably doesn't help. It's so soft you can bend the neck with your thumb at times.

I've experienced case lengthening in the resizing process also. I'm also somewhat OCD with "Roy" cases and Norma brass. What has helped me at times is I use a bronze bore brush of the appropriate bore diameter and brush the inside of the necks first, roll them across the lube pad, then I dip the necks in a dry lube, then into the sizing die. The fly in the ointment of PFL sizing is that eventually, depending on your rifle, the case, and the hardness of the brass is that you will have to fiddle with resetting the sizer down enough for the cases to chamber. I have had 2-3 firings in some calibers before having to do this, 5-6 in others. IME every rifle chamber and make of brass has been different, and setting the sizer down or up has been adjusted accordingly.
At todays prices of premium factory fodder, the extra work seems, at least to me miniscule, but Hell, I enjoy doing it anyway
I guess reloaders are twice paid grin

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FWIW, when I set up a F/L die, I set it up to full length resize the case, including the cam over needed to completely F/L resize. Then I make a flat washer out of flat stock that will fit around the body of the die. I put that between the lock ring on the die and the top of the press. Dime or nickel thickness is about right. With that in place, I am PFLRing the brass. When it becomes hard to chamber, I remove the washer so's I can F/L the brass. This keeps me from having to keep adjusting the die (and stripping out those little, bitty set screws).

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I adjust my FL die every time I use it, and I never use the set screws. I FL size the brass, but barely.

Last edited by mathman; 02/15/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alot of BR shooters only size a portion of the neck.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A lot of competition shooters full length size, just barely, every time too.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
you are both correct neck size or shoulder bump which can be done by carefully adjusting fl. dies with the help of horn. head space gauges or simialer if you neck size only sooner or later the shoulder will get too long to close the bolt on with out way too much effort that wouyld be when you want to "bump" the shoulder

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
I adjust my FL die every time I use it, and I never use the set screws. I FL size the brass, but barely.

Why is that?? And how do you do it w/o using the set screws?

Last edited by stillbeeman; 02/15/11.

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Even with the same set of brass and the die set the same, it won't necessarily size to the same dimension every time. And I like to bump the shoulders just right, so I adjust to get it that way.

When I get the die set like I want it, I run in a piece of brass, leave the ram at the top of the stroke, and tighten the lock ring against the top of the press.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pretty much what everyone has noted above on NS vs FL vs PFLR. I'll add that I have never successfully NS or PFLR a 270 and 300 WSM's. For the best performance I FL size those cases each and every time.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hmmmm, don't see why that wouldn't work. That's when having a couple of dummy rounds set up to use to determine the sizing. Have you never had the die "float" up or down while you were reloading?

Last edited by stillbeeman; 02/16/11.

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The die is under upward pressure when I tighten the lock ring. I give it a little kiss with a big wrench. When the ram comes down, the die is tight into the press. Haven't had one move yet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, 673, 7mm_Loco, 15 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,870
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.