Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Skivvy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have been looking at revolvers for some time, however I can not come to 'grips' with the price. (pun intended) Especially when Auto loaders are the same price, or less in many cases.

Is this something I should get over, or is there something I am missing?

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think revolvers are more expensive because they are probably producing fewer of them.

However, to save a few bucks, consider shopping around at pawnshops, the used counter of your favorite gun shop, and websites such as www.elitedealseeker.com.

Last edited by Ivan; 01/30/11.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Buy used. I recently acquired an as new Smith and Wesson M586 for less than what a well used Glock goes for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're missing Taurus and Ruger.

Plenty of bang for the buck with those manufacturers..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What will you use it for? Why do you want one? (a revolver) covers to much and nothing at the same time. Just maybe a revolver isn't the answer.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, most of the revolvers I have were "pre-owned." They were made better in the old days anyway.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Which revolvers have you priced?

Landrum

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All short guns have been creeping upwards for quite some time. The Obama election scare accelerated this. They seem to have went back down some. It remains to be seen how much the threat of new gun legislation from the rash of shooting lately, headed by the one in Arizona, will affect the market.

There's no reason for revolvers to be cheaper than autos in the first place, other than supply and demand in the marketplace. Old-school, traditional type revolvers seem much less visible now mainly IMO, due to the makers all having a propensity towards making [bleep] looking new guns. I don't know what is up with having to put huge garish lettering on an otherwise okay-looking piece. That and weird angles and stuff to all guns. A few would be okay, but it seems like you can't hardly buy a regular looking handgun anymore.

Anyway the WTD question is easily answered. Get what you want.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Buy used. I recently acquired an as new Smith and Wesson M586 for less than what a well used Glock goes for.
Really? Yesterday I saw a 586 and it was around $600. You can get a Police Trade-In Glock .40 right now at Cabela's for about $350.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yes, really. Deals are out there if you're not in a hurry.

IC B3

Skivvy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have been pricing some of the more popular models (apparently): Colt Python, S&W Mountain Gun, Ruger Blackhawk, etc. I see where Taurus makes an inexpensive revolver (comparatively speaking). So, I may go that route.

I don't intend to buy new. As far as I'm concerned, it's like buying a new car. I.E. Once it leaves the showroom floor, it loses a % of value.

I appreciate the link too. I hadn't heard of that site..

Last edited by Skivvy; 01/30/11.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Skivvy
I have been pricing some of the more popular models (apparently): Colt Python, S&W Mountain Gun, Ruger Blackhawk, etc. I see where Taurus makes an inexpensive revolver (comparatively speaking). So, I may go that route.

I don't intend to buy new. As far as I'm concerned, it's like buying a new car. I.E. Once it leaves the showroom floor, it loses a % of value.

Quite a bit different than a car... The car drops A LOT when it leaves the dealer's. A firearm drops a little....but over the next 50 years it won't drop much more and may likely increase in value!

Skivvy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Skivvy

Quite a bit different than a car... The car drops A LOT when it leaves the dealer's. A firearm drops a little....but over the next 50 years it won't drop much more and may likely increase in value!

Well, using your example, the analogy still works. As best I can tell, a car's value goes up when you keep it for 50 years as well. wink

Besides, it's not something I am worried about. I'll let my kids figure out the value of my guns in 50 years, and in the mean time I'll let someone else worry about the "new car smell!"

Anyway, I am finding some reasonable deals using the link: http://www.elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=gunstuff
I'll keep watching.

Thx again!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heck, I live in Omaha and have seen some good deals at Cabela's, Gun Unlimited, Scheel's, and even some of the pawn shops. Not many and not very often, but they do come along from time to time.

Tell me what you're looking for and I'm happy to give you heads up if I come across something on your list.

JEff

Skivvy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had forgotten about Guns Unlimited. I'll have to check em out.
What Omaha pawn shops do you recommend?

Really I am just looking for a decent used 357 or 44 mag. probably 4 to 6 inch barrel. Something to take to the range, and keep in the night stand.

I've seen the revolvers at Cabelas, (I'm there way too much) but they never seem like a great deal to me. Even the auto loaders are a bit over priced for used. New may be another story. I never really check that counter.

Skivvy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Heck, I live in Omaha and have seen some good deals at Cabela's, Gun Unlimited, Scheel's, and even some of the pawn shops. Not many and not very often, but they do come along from time to time.

Tell me what you're looking for and I'm happy to give you heads up if I come across something on your list.

JEff

Thanks for that reminder again. I checked out Guns Unlimited. They have a GREAT supply of reloading components, and their prices are pretty competitive.

I have noticed a few 'affordable' revolvers at the Bullet Hole and Cabelas. I'll keep watching. I'm sure one will grab me soon enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what you are looking for...

A J Frame in 38(+P) is about 450 here.

What type of revolver are you looking for?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the used .357 department you get more bang for your buck with a Ruger than just about anything else. If you are not overly price sensitive then I'd suggest you consider a used S&W Model 27 or 28 with a 4-inch barrel.

Last edited by Old_Writer; 02/12/11.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A Taurus is going to be hard to beat for what you get. Best revolver for the money out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by warpig602
A Taurus is going to be hard to beat for what you get. Best revolver for the money out there.

Unless you can find a Ruger Security Six.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,931
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.