Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
Thats not for the extractor... thats the original bolt handle attachment kit. Best in the World

Nah..the bolt handle myth is much like the dangerous trigger myth........a few isolated incidents that get repeated hundreds of times thanks to the net. That happens when there are 6 million rifles in the hands of satisfied customers.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yep, definitely Swampman's Emericus moment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean we have more than one guy who talks about stuff he's never seen or used?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
More along the lines of taking something to an extreme (crushed diamonds/best in the world-need-no-work, ever) while guessing; talking about stuff he's never used and misquoting JB as the premise for his "comparisons"; making a punchline of himself in regard to the topic...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Thats not for the extractor... thats the original bolt handle attachment kit. Best in the World

Nah..the bolt handle myth is much like the dangerous trigger myth........a few isolated incidents that get repeated hundreds of times thanks to the net. That happens when there are 6 million rifles in the hands of satisfied customers.

It was a tounge in cheek commet with "best in the world" thrown in for Swampy's benefit

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I know.....I know....I just wanted to get that on the record. Not like this thread had any serious intent anyway..

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by SEdge
I also agree that it is unnessary to do this work on a 700 but I still question the how safe aspect because the Howa/ Vanguard action is basicly a 700 with an Sako extractor.

Not quite the same.

After modification for the Sako extractor on the 700, the extractor is held in place by "spring" tension only.

The M16 type extractor used on the Howa/Vanguard action in held in place by a "pin" recessd into the bolt body.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's not really true. The sako extractor is held in place by a pin that is spring loaded so that it can move to function properly. The M-16 type might be stronger, at least in theory. I know the Remington Custom Shop uses the M-16 extractor conversion on some of the tactical rifles, FWIW.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've always been of two minds regarding the Sako extractor conversions. On the one hand, as rifledude pointed out, the use of a Sako extractor did allow for less case head protrustion. This was important with the old Sako 220 Russian brass. Back in those days, I used BSA extractors on PPC conversions because I liked it better than the Sako. The BSA extractor was entirely enclosed within the barrel counterbore and couldn't escape. The Sako could and would. If a primer leaked, the gas could pop the extractor out of the hole at the base and the extractor was free to exit the right hand raceway cut. As mentioned, this was not the case with the Sako rifle because, although the extractor would pop out just the same, it was prevented from escaping by the rib which existed for that purpose.
In a way, I often think the risk is blow out of proportion. I mean, Mauser extractors take flight quite often when a case blows and nobody seems to care too much. Still, there is a legitimate reason for concern; especially if, like me, you shoot right handed rifles from the left shoulder. It would be most uncomfortable to have a Sako extractor lodged in my forhead or worse, in my eye.
If I was to design a new action which utilized a Sako-type extractor, I would extend the nose of the bolt so that the extractor was fully, or nearly so, enclosed within the barrel counterbore. This might very well be what has been done on some of the new actions which use this extractor.
It is possible to retro-fit a gas blocking system, like that of the Savage 110 series actions, to a Remington 700 but you have to want to do it. I have intended to do this on a 40X I have.
I made a bolt for this which uses a separate bolt head and a Sako extractor. I haven't gotten around to the gas block though. Another 40X has the original bolt with a Sako extractor installed and the retrofit of it's gas block is at the same point of completion. In other words, it exists in my mind (a fetile place for concepts but a place from which few concepts ever make their way into the real world) only.
Most actions have some shortcomings which can be a cause for concern if one likes to be concerned about such things. Some are minor in nature while others may be serious. Plainly, some have a good grasp of what is and is not important and are willing and able to pass this knowledge along. Whether we accept this offer or argue with it is purely up to the individual, I guess. GD

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 'smith has seen more than one sako extractor blow at the range and at least one of the unfortunate fellas still has metal in his arm to this day he tells me. For that reason I won't ever have the conversion done.

MtnHtr

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I won't try to make excuses for an unsafe mod. It's unnecessay.....

True - if you want a Sako extractor, buy a Sako rifle in the first place.

or a Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard rifles.

but damm they re heavy ...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RifleDude
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Hence, "sociopath"....

And those that bite........ wink

Casey

Please explain, if you don't mind. Some of us under the mistaken impression there was going to be a grown-up conversation taking place here are fairly new and don't know the OP. This warrants being lumped into the "sociopath" category if we did "bite" with the assumption we were talking to a normal, reasonable person with a reasonable question?

Ted: Casey's half right (an improvement to be sure smile ). There is a difference between those who rise to the ocassion and take the bait of this hideous troll and others and some who try and point out the fact those who derive pleasure from baiting by their idiotic posts are losers with nothing better to do and definitively display sociopathic behavior. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ted, Swampman700 is to Remington as Eremicus is to Leupold. That should clear things up for ya...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Ted, Swampman700 is to Remington as Eremicus is to Leupold. That should clear things up for ya...

Thats not fair. if the subject isn't Leupold E has some useful viewpoints..something I have not yet witnessed from Swampy

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I sent a 700 to Remington for repair & it was done wonderful smirk. The safety had failed & the rifle fired without the trigger being pulled. I was a bit shocked since I was in a tree stand & the rifle was in a holder with the barrel pointing down range. Remington would not sell the part to any smith. When repaired it only took the pressure from both thumbs to activate. When I discussed with Remington I was told that was the way the safety was intended to work. I found it just a bit awkward & slow to take a shot using both thumbs to activate the safety. Brownell introduced a safety kit for Remington 700s & in about 10 minutes I fixed the problem.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Thats not fair. if the subject isn't Leupold E has some useful viewpoints..something I have not yet witnessed from Swampy

Actually, Mark has some very good insight on several topics (search him under Swampman1, prior to his dumbphuckitude taking hold). On those, he's GTG. On centerfire rifles, he's clueless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might have been slightly unfair to Eremicus, but he displays the same hard headedness and is very one dimensional, not to mention the stink of superiority. Still waiting for him to post a pic of something he's killed for all that yapping.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jim62,

I watched the youtube video you referenced. I felt the video was lacking in that it didn't show what would happen if the bolts in each example were worked more vigorously. I don't know but maybe the stock Remington bolt might have popped the cases out of the action. And maybe the converted bolt might have thrown the cases so far as to make them difficult to find.

Obviously pure speculation but it leaves me wondering.

On another topic, if all the dialogue between Swampman and the other posters were to be deleted then the thread would probably amount to one and a half pages. If everyone ignored his posts he would eventually go away.

Jim

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I watched the video also, and had some questions as to the cartridge being used. I think it has some inherent differences at the case head or rim that make it "work" differently. Also, notice how difficult it is for the user to close the bolt on the brass that doesn't extract. It takes a hard push and a hard lift on that piece of brass. The brass that extracts cleanly doesn't show either of these properties. I feel that there's more to this story.

How come swanpy doesn't shoot a 284? Isn't it rebated?

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Ted: Casey's half right (an improvement to be sure smile ). There is a difference between those who rise to the ocassion and take the bait of this hideous troll and others and some who try and point out the fact those who derive pleasure from baiting by their idiotic posts are losers with nothing better to do and definitively display sociopathic behavior. Cheers, jorge

But there is an important difference to be noted Jorge:

Whether is Swampman, Lee 24, etc, those guys don't immediately begin to call names, or use ridiculing language, when they disagree. I mean, I may cringe at some of the thngs they say...but......

One interesting internet behavior is all the tough guys behind the keyboard.

At the risk of being guilty of name calling myself, goofy guys are going to be goofy even in person--they are who they are and generally don't know better.......but guys hiding behind the skirts of the internet know better than to be playing tough guy face to face.........

From my perspective, the most juvenile of behaviors aren't the goofy ones, but the folks who are so righteous over the goofy ones......

And boy do the internet tough guys love to pop out of the weeds and engage in dogpiling..........I guess the ability to just ignore the goofy ones is just not possible for many here on the internet--folks can't help but get in on the wreck........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.