Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You got that right Bigbuck. It hurts me to watch a heel striker run.

Last edited by DoeDumper; 02/11/11.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Two observations concerning running:

1) Many/most I know who run (who are not "serious" runner/racers) are too cheap to buy very good shoes and only use them for 300 miles or less. Old or low-quality shoes are a recipe for disaster, usually joints not muscular.

2) At least in males over 30, cardio conditioning happens quicker than muscular, which happens much quicker than joint/ligament/tendon. The first two take under two months, the latter over six. That means many of us are running faster/more stressfully than our joints are actually trained for.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I'm still just a pup to most of the posters in this thread at 56 but I've done most everything so far as a fitness regimens go. What I like now is my elipical. It's taken me four years get to maximum but working it forward and backward in intervals for forty five minutes four or five days a week really builds strength in the knees/legs. Work on balance and stability, the lower legs and ankles. Stand on your tip toes for a minute , on one foot. When it gets easy make it harder, shut your eyes. Core work is really important to avoidance of back pain and the ability to transfer weight and stay over your feet on steep stuff. Planking, back extensions, working the obliques,crunches. Just enought upper body work so's ya don't feel puny. All this gives me a good basic level of strength and aerobic fitness that allows me to hunt my Blue Mountain holes without getting sore. BUT, AT THE END OF THE TALE there really is no substitute for getting out on the weekends and clambering around in terrain similar to what you hunt. Carry a rifle, get off the trail, stump shoot with your 22, have fun. Take the dogs, pack an extra gallon of water for them.

Last edited by hard2get2; 02/13/11.

...for sure...live long enough you're gonna end up dying of something
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by prm
Without knowing your age or current level of fitness it's tough to give a recommendation. However, we've never let a lack of knowledge prevent offering a recommendation on here, so I won't start now...

I cannot recommend the P-90X program enough. It will give you a new definition of fitness. Cardio, strength, flexibility, agility, etc. Plus, it's all planned for you.

I'd second the P90X program. I'm in my 4th week and noticing results already.

I started another round of p90x last week. Gotta love that 50% protein, 30% carb, and 20% fat diet they put you on for the first month. That's an tough balance to maintain, and you lose weight quickly while on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=WoodsyAl]
It is really important to control what you can about staying in shape so you can get the most out of your love of the outdoors. [/quote)

One of the most important statements made on the philosophy of wellness for hunting IME.

And, there is a lot of good, practical information on this thread.

In my manual on the .458 Win mag for North American hunting of big game, I have a brief section on "Age & Health Issues". At 75, I'm in better condition now than at age 60 because I've lost 35 lbs! I'm diabetic and have some battle with arthritis (both inherited genetically), but the 2 extra lbs of a .458 is minuscule compared to 35 lbs of excess blubber!

I work out 3 to 5 times a week with weights, but more importantly I go to my main hunting area as often as possible, spring, summer, fall and winter. The Haliburton Highlands is very rugged terrain... no walk in the park. And the ATV's have so badly chewed up the trails that I now stick to the woods. This time of year I snowshoe. Hydration is doubly important for a diabetic, but I've found deep-breathing to be the key to keep-on keeping on (like the Energizer ads)both in workouts and hiking up and down the steep ridges of The Highlands. ALSO... the right hiking boots/shoes are EXTREMELY important!!!

The REAL battle for seniors, IMV, is more mental than physical... we find that comfort zone in front of the TV (or computer)too easy, compared to getting out there.

A few years ago I met an 88 year old at the range sighting in a rifle (7-08)for an up-coming moose hunt for his 56 yr old daughter. Two years prior, he'd killed 2 caribou with the same rifle! He was an inspiration to keep on...

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 02/13/11.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hard2get2
I'm still just a pup to most of the posters in this thread at 56 but I've done most everything so far as a fitness regimens go. What I like now is my elipical. It's taken me four years get to maximum but working it forward and backward in intervals for forty five minutes four or five days a week really builds strength in the knees/legs. Work on balance and stability, the lower legs and ankles. Stand on your tip toes for a minute , on one foot. When it gets easy make it harder, shut your eyes. Core work is really important to avoidance of back pain and the ability to transfer weight and stay over your feet on steep stuff. Planking, back extensions, working the obliques,crunches. Just enought upper body work so's ya don't feel puny. All this gives me a good basic level of strength and aerobic fitness that allows me to hunt my Blue Mountain holes without getting sore. BUT, AT THE END OF THE TALE there really is no substitute for getting out on the weekends and clambering around in terrain similar to what you hunt. Carry a rifle, get off the trail, stump shoot with your 22, have fun. Take the dogs, pack an extra gallon of water for them.

Great advice. Take the dogs, throw some weight in your pack, grab a 22 and don't forget the water and start wandering in the mountains

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CZ550
[quote=WoodsyAl]
It is really important to control what you can about staying in shape so you can get the most out of your love of the outdoors. [/quote)

One of the most important statements made on the philosophy of wellness for hunting IME.

And, there is a lot of good, practical information on this thread.

In my manual on the .458 Win mag for North American hunting of big game, I have a brief section on "Age & Health Issues". At 75, I'm in better condition now than at age 60 because I've lost 35 lbs! I'm diabetic and have some battle with arthritis (both inherited genetically), but the 2 extra lbs of a .458 is minuscule compared to 35 lbs of excess blubber!

I work out 3 to 5 times a week with weights, but more importantly I go to my main hunting area as often as possible, spring, summer, fall and winter. The Haliburton Highlands is very rugged terrain... no walk in the park. And the ATV's have so badly chewed up the trails that I now stick to the woods. This time of year I snowshoe. Hydration is doubly important for a diabetic, but I've found deep-breathing to be the key to keep-on keeping on (like the Energizer ads)both in workouts and hiking up and down the steep ridges of The Highlands. ALSO... the right hiking boots/shoes are EXTREMELY important!!!

The REAL battle for seniors, IMV, is more mental than physical... we find that comfort zone in front of the TV (or computer)too easy, compared to getting out there.

A few years ago I met an 88 year old at the range sighting in a rifle (7-08)for an up-coming moose hunt for his 56 yr old daughter. Two years prior, he'd killed 2 caribou with the same rifle! He was an inspiration to keep on...

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

CZ550 great inspriation in your post!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am 50 years old. I am not a writer like some here who have an article or two every month.

We have a Rec Center here and I rotate between the stair climber, true Glider, and Spin Bike. I will spend close to an hour a day one of of these machines.
I am a back-up spin class teacher as well. I do some lifting on machines, not free weights.

When nicer weather comes around, I have hard time going to the Rec Center, and exercise outside.
When I get closer to hunting season, I get my boots and back pack (weighted down) on and walk up and own hills.
In the late spring through early fall I will ride my road bike for about 25-30 miles 2 to 3 times a week.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by CZ550

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Well, I think there is quite a lot of inspiration in your own story! Good for you!

I don't mean to be arrogant, but it pains me to see guys 20 or even 30 years younger than I am, who obviously love hunting, having a hard time keeping up with me at 68 (now 69). If they don't make some changes, their future outdoors activity will be pretty restricted.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,477
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.