Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
I agree with the sentiment, but, like VLDs, would expect them to work reliably on most shots I have taken. With North Fork, MRX, TTSX and others, 3,000 fps is not an upper limit that I worry about, nor is expansion at 1800fps a concern.

As long as other bullets work reliably for me on animals from antelope to elk, as the North Fork, MRX, TTSX and others do, I�ll pass on the VLDs for hunting purposes.

If you have plans of shooting something far enough away that the impact velocity would be below 2000 fps with a Barnes bullet, you should talk with someone at Barnes to make sure the particular Barnes bullet you are using would have sufficient expansion at the minimum impact velocity you would attempt. Just a word to the wise, and that applies to any manufacturer's bullets. I've communicated with Barnes and Hornady myself and have seen published info about Nosler bullets and Berger VLDs.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As I read all this, I reflected back to when I started hunting. .30-06 stoked with 180 grain Core-Lokts. My Dad bought my brother and I one box per season. Check zero, and hunt deer, elk and antelope. Gophers usually got the leftovers. Man, I put a lot of critters on their lips with that combo. I remember they never ran far, I never lost one and they died. I didn't give a rat's ass about BC, velocity, energy or wound channels. I pointed that rifle, pulled the trigger and filled the freezer. NOW, I bet not one poster on this thread, myself included, would give that bullet a second thought. Interesting. mtmuley

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
your are right mtmuley all this new thec. has spoiled us and has lead us to want more and if something goes wrong we blame it on bullets .cal. or what ever but we for get the #1 thing to good hunting and fast kills ............... great marksmanship

Last edited by ldholton; 02/07/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are obviously as happy with the VLDs as I am the North Fork, TTSX, MRX, and the Trophy Bonded my hunting buddy uses.

They work for you, as my choices do for me, and that is what's important.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CH,
I actually shoot bullets from most every bullet swager out there. Nearly all of them will kill stuff. I just cannot condemn any of them especially when my experiance with them contradicts most people's theories.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EddyBo
CH,
I actually shoot bullets from most every bullet swager out there. Nearly all of them will kill stuff. I just cannot condemn any of them especially when my experiance with them contradicts most people's theories.

I don't condemn VLDs, just explaining why I don't choose to use them. The claimed advantage is they are supposed to put things down more quickly. Read the following and tell me how much more quickly the VLDs would have put things down.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._VLDS_or_NBT_love_um_or_hate#Post4925631

Many of the animals I�ve shot were on the ground before I could recover from the recoil of the shot. The fact is that had I been using VLDs you probably couldn�t tell the difference with a stopwatch. If you disagree I would like to hear it.

It is also a fact that there are a lot of reports of VLDs acting exactly as advertised � pretty much disintegrating and providing about 18� of penetration. Sometimes that isn�t enough when things go wrong. The North Forks and MRX I use have both gone end-to-end in mule deer, although in opposite directions, instantly dropping the animals straight down in both cases. I just don�t see any advantage in giving up that kind of penetration to use a bullet that might have a marginal advantage in the speed in which they put game on the ground.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

The Bergers simply use a different concept of killing....

Interesting...... confused

There are no "different concepts of killing".

All bullets "kill" through the mechanical destruction of tissue and bone...how much tissue is destroyed is a function of their design/build characteristics,impact velocity,rate of expansion,and the medium into which they are fired.

A hunting bullets'first job is to penetrate,second to expand....no necromancy involved.

With soft tissue hits,no bullet "guarantees" DRT....anyone with any hunting experience knows this.

I have no problem with anyone using any bullet they have confidence in....but some stuff I have seen runs pretty contrary to "VLD" wisdom....at one point I had killed 12-13 head of game,pretty much consecutively, that were essentially "DRT"; using various calibers and weights of Bitterroots at pretty high velocity(of course as with all great things, the string eventually ended;I suspect it was as much dumb luck as well as a great bullet).

...this is a bullet that does NOT fragment...at all.....rather, it opens pretty rapidly to a very wide frontal area,holds that broad frontal area until it is stopped or exits;very high weight retention..barnes like...through passage through the animal....

There was plenty of damage,and very dead critters....to claim any of this as "old school" is.....utter nonsense....and demonstrates lack of experience smirk

I have long suspected that this....not fragmentation...is what makes things like BT's and possibly VLD's...to kill quickly...rapid expansion to a broad frontal area within vitals,crushing them rapidly in an area around the wound channel,not shards of core and jacket...problem is we can't "see" this happen,and design characteristics of the bullet do not leave the evidence,because the bullet has been destroyed during its' journey....so we assume this fragmentation created the wound channel....maybe to some degree,but I suspect the bulk of damage is done by the broad face of the expanded frontal area and not by some grenade-like effect....but what do I know? frown blush

I have come to view claims of "magic" results with BG bullets about the same as promises of tax breaks from politicians....both claims can prove illusory..and unlikely to occur.Your notions may vary..... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
double post

Last edited by rosco1; 02/13/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

SMK's and Scenars have been doing the same thing for a long time..The thing I find funny, is a lot of VLD users bash Scenars and SMK's, as not being hunting bullets, I dont really understand how grown men get an emotional attachment to a damn bullet..The cult following of Barns and Bergers here on the campfire is amusing.I've used both, and continue to use them in certain guns.

As far as high BC bullets go for hunting, SMK's and Scenars are much easier to work with, IME.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

All bullets "kill" through the mechanical destruction of tissue and bone...how much tissue is destroyed is a function of their design/build characteristics,impact velocity,rate of expansion,and the medium into which they are fired.

A hunting bullets'first job is to penetrate,second to expand....no necromancy involved.

With soft tissue hits,no bullet "guarantees" DRT....anyone with any hunting experience knows this.

I have no problem with anyone using any bullet they have confidence in....but some stuff I have seen runs pretty contrary to "VLD" wisdom....at one point I had killed 12-13 head of game,pretty much consecutively, that were essentially "DRT"; using various calibers and weights of Bitterroots at pretty high velocity(of course as with all great things, the string eventually ended;I suspect it was as much dumb luck as well as a great bullet).

...this is a bullet that does NOT fragment...at all.....rather, it opens pretty rapidly to a very wide frontal area,holds that broad frontal area until it is stopped or exits;very high weight retention..barnes like...through passage through the animal....

There was plenty of damage,and very dead critters....to claim any of this as "old school" is.....utter nonsense....and demonstrates lack of experience smirk

I have long suspected that this....not fragmentation...is what makes things like BT's and possibly VLD's...to kill quickly...rapid expansion to a broad frontal area within vitals,crushing them rapidly in an area around the wound channel,not shards of core and jacket...problem is we can't "see" this happen,and design characteristics of the bullet do not leave the evidence,because the bullet has been destroyed during its' journey....so we assume this fragmentation created the wound channel....maybe to some degree,but I suspect the bulk of damage is done by the broad face of the expanded frontal area and not by some grenade-like effect....but what do I know? frown blush

I have come to view claims of "magic" results with BG bullets about the same as promises of tax breaks from politicians....both claims can prove illusory..and unlikely to occur.Your notions may vary..... smile
..................Ok! I`ll rephrase! The VLD`s killing affects are different. But nevertheless, Berger`s VLD concept as to the WAY they kill, is different. There`s no damn magic in the VLDs. Nothing magical about them.

I judge the bullets I use which include the VLDs,,,,by the final end result. And by comparison, most conventional bullets, even though capable of DRT kills, are more `ol school and more traditional compared to the VLD way of killing game.

Given a well placed shot on any bull elk on the N/A continent and do so at a 30 degree angle or less, my money is on the VLD (of the proper bullet weight) to win every time.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Squeeze:Relax...I know they work because I believe Mule Deer and John Burns,both of whom say they are good in their niche. If I was able to go beyond 600 yards on a regular basis,I might try them myself. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Squeeze:Relax...I know they work because I believe Mule Deer and John Burns,both of whom say they are good in their niche. If I was able to go beyond 600 yards on a regular basis,I might try them myself. smile
........If you think the VLDs are good or only at their best beyond 600 yards, you just might want to re-consider that assessment. None of my kills using the VLDs have been beyond 328 yards.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I would never use a vld on game. They are way too accurate and create too big of a wound.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

If you ever run out of Bitterrots, the Norma Oryx works very similarly--and is usually VERY accurate as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think what RobinNH was saying, is that he believe another bullet out performs the VLD, in the ranges he is planning on having shooting opportunities. Those high BC's really dont really start to shine until after 500, in my opinion. For what its worth, I will be using VLDs this fall and hope to gain some first hand knowledge on VLD performance from 80 or so to 600+. Those doe better be walking lite.

Last edited by Badley; 02/13/11.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

..................Ok! I`ll rephrase! The VLD`s killing affects are different. But nevertheless, Berger`s VLD concept as to the WAY they kill, is different.. There`s no damn magic in the VLDs. Nothing magical about them.

I judge the bul.lets I use which include the VLDs,,,,by the final end result. And by comparison, most conventional bullets, even though capable of DRT kills, are more `ol school and more traditional compared to the VLD way of killing game.

Given a well placed shot on any bull elk on the N/A continent and do so at a 30 degree angle or less, my money is on the VLD (of the proper bullet weight) to win every time.

All bullets kill by the same method and BobinNH described the "way" very well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

When in the hunting fields I prefer my "bergers" between 2 pieces of bread

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

...................Yep! And when in the hunting fields, my Berger VLDs guarantee "elk" burgers. wink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

...................Yep! And when in the hunting fields, my Berger VLDs guarantee "elk" burgers. wink

There are bullets with a better guarantee when after Elk burgers

Last edited by jwp475; 02/13/11.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

There are bullets with a better guarantee when after Elk burgers
.........Not really! Just because you happen to disagree with how the VLDs kill doesn`t mean they can`t or won`t. Elk vitals which need to be disrupted are located in the center and towards the front of the animal,,,not in the next county over.

Although not in the majority, many use the VLDs for elk. Imo, the better guarantee of success rests with the one pulling the trigger as opposed to the VLD.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,449
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.