Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Guys,

Just a heads up that my 99A is headed to the classified. Medical bills have forced my hand. I'm OK with being a Diabetic but the tests that have been done have to be paid as my deductable which sucks. I paid $905.00 plus shipping and have enjoyed this rifle which I used to take small buck. Anyone here local I can do a FTF but shipping is a different story. I'm going to list it for $945.00 shipped. Local for $905.00. I'll keep the scope and rings as they didn't come with the rifle. Thanks.
[Linked Image]

Ken

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to bad you have to sell ,but health is far more important,
take care

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Thanks Norm. It might not sell who knows. It's just one of the rifles I feel that will sell quickly to help me get my deductable paid so the insurance will kick in and help pay some of the bills. Some times the budget just doesn't allow for the extra things in life like medical bills. Being a Diabetic isn't too bad because it can be controlled in the stages of type II with proper diet and just a pill. I did purhase a Ruger 250 Savage from Steve which is another hard rifle to find so I'm blessed to keep it.

Ken

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Medical bills and often medical tests can chew through gun money quick. My wife has always observed I get sticker shock easy but I am continually stunned over what things cost. My health plan has a "free" annual physical each year. And sure enough there is no charge for the Doctor visit but then you get a $500 to $700 bill for the routine lab work he ordered. My daughter recently had a couple of moles taken off her back. The Doctor bill came and it was close to $300. Ok, it did take him all of two minutes, I suppose. Then, we get another bill - $850 from the lab. When they take anything off they want to check it out. I got some sticker shock from that, but ok, want to make sure there's not any cancer - that's important. Then we get another bill from another lab for $350. confused I called up and asked what the heck, we already received one pathology lab bill. They calmly explained that the first bill, for $850 was for, "preparing the slide" which was then sent to an outside lab crazy
My current health insurance policy has a $5,000/$10,000 deductible. That is really like not having insurance unless a big catastrophy hits. This means that throughout the year I get to pay hundreds in premium every month while simulaneously paying 100% of medical bills out of pocket. This can sure chew up some nice Savage lever rifles. Sorry to slide off topic but I feel the seller's pain.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Boltman,

You just put it right to the point !! Why even have insurance ! Monthly premiums and pay the outrageous deductable.

Ken

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My father has Medicare and has a supplemental health insurance policy. It is good he has it as he has struggled with cancer for nearly ten years. However, that supplemental policy and the medication costs that are not picked up by Medicare and the supplemental policy take 7 of his 12 Social Security retirement checks each year. Every dollar from 7 of his checks crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somebody asked me on the "Happy Birthday LBK" "seriously, when are you going to retire?" My reply was, "when I can no longer get myself to work." That is a sad state of affairs, but horror stories just like this is why I will never retire. My heart goes out to those with money grabbing medical bills. My health insurance changed this year to the "free physical" once a year BS. They did make a $1500.00 "slush fund" for each insured to be applied to the deductable. God only knows how that will work. Good luck, Ken, on your sales. It's just sad that you live your life and it has to come to this. Remember to thank all the Democraps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't think you can blame it on the "Democraps". Blame it on the greedy health care professionals and the big pharmas, and their partners the insurance companies. I too am saddled with back breaking medical bills that will go on long into my future, hence no retirement for me also. I see the doctors and technicians who treated me standing there with their hands out, then driving off in their Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes to their McMansions in the suburbs while I struggle to keep a 12 year old Ford on the road and live in a small apartment. Kind of makes me think that a revolutionary overhaul of the health care system might well be in order (and no, I'm not referring to Obamacare either!).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I believe that in the civilized world, basically the only place you can make money as a private entity on providing health insurance is the U.S. Add in the number of lawyers we have and the way physician's have to practice, "defensive" medicene to avoid law suits and it's not surprising those of us on the bottom end get crapped on everyday. I know someone who was in the hospital recently for two days. His doctor stuck his head in the door each of the two days and said, "hey, how you feeling?" $550 each day for that valueable service. And that's just the doctor bill, not the hospital bill.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have health ins. 1200 deductible, a year, dec. had a colyn check done 557.00 my part, had a bit more surgery, done last month, got the TV & phone bill for a one night stay 19.96, still waiting for the real bills to come in I paid out almost 3 grand this last fall! the colyn check was part of it!, could have gotten a few nice rifles with the cash!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Maybe Mad dog will chime in on the health care system in Canada. I know that the injured Canadian skiers at the resort would have to be on their death bed before they went to the vet here.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my two daughters was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes the month before she graduated from High School. Hell, I'd been sweating over college costs and didn't realize how cheap that would be compared to deductibles, co-pays, etc. Now that she's out of college and I look towards retirement, I realize it's gotta be someone else's dream. I'll have to work 'til the day I die or go on one last hunting trip before I give the medical community what little is left.

Last edited by Bull_Elk; 02/13/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'am not NOT Mad-dog but
prostrate cancer last year ,actually dia in 09 ,
paid 75 .oo for class 1 drivers exam .
checked prostrate ,sent me to a oncoligist ,second visit biopsy,positive, prescription for alligard about 30.oo
blood work, alligard shot,35 days of radiation,4.5 hours from home ,cancer socity antied up 900.oo for travel,another cancer socity covered 65.oo per day living out,
i was on employment ins from OCT 09 till MAR 8 /2010 them med EI till JUNE 15 /2010 then back to regular EI i,ve had 3 skin cancer ops in last 3 months ,no cost for labs or ops.
Medical ins premiums are virtuall non existant because I don't make much $$ [partically because of busness losses ,wright offs]

what would that have cost you guys

other side of story is i waited 6 months for an elective eye exam and now 16 months for minor elective surgery,which is free
waiting 6 months for Drs apt for knee fix don,t know when that will happen,

electives and non emergency stuff takes a little while

Last edited by norm99; 02/13/11.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I too may be looking to start selling off my collection. I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer a week before Christmas and the bills are coming in fast and furious.

I worked hard all my life and now I am reaping that which seniors have to endure...

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it hit's home.

Last edited by njretcop; 02/13/11.

Charlie
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I recall my Dad telling me that many of the shots he had for his cancer were $40,000 per shot.
Seems a lot of us are in a, "work until we die" scenario. However, that might be a best-case scenario. I mean, sometimes we don't have a choice: businesses close, down-size, cull out older workers, etc.
Norm - I don't know what your health care would have cost down here, but it would have been plenty. Glad you came out of it in good shape.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Charlie - sorry to hear of your health news. Prostate cancer is generally very treatable and of course, they can remove it. I'll be hoping the best for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by njretcop
I too may be looking to start selling off my collection. I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer a week before Christmas and the bills are coming in fast and furious.

I worked hard all my life and now I am reaping that which seniors have to endure...

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it hit's home.

depends what stage 3-4-5- most people don't die from it if caught in time ,,mine was aggresive but treatable with radiation , some can get it frozen ,some removed ..do what the doc recommends ,,i am clean now its wait and see if it returnes in 3-5-8-10 years well pray for you

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Charlie, hope everything turns out well. Know several folks who have had it and have come out okay.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input and advice.

Charlie
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hang in there Charlie. We're pulling for ya.

Maybe we should start up an "Old Savage Collectors Home". Where we can go live out our golden years gimping around and talking guns way into the night, and chasing the nurses. I couldn't think of a nicer bunch of guys to get old and curmudgeonly with!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 50 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,724
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.