Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
FWIW, when I set up a F/L die, I set it up to full length resize the case, including the cam over needed to completely F/L resize. Then I make a flat washer out of flat stock that will fit around the body of the die. I put that between the lock ring on the die and the top of the press. Dime or nickel thickness is about right. With that in place, I am PFLRing the brass. When it becomes hard to chamber, I remove the washer so's I can F/L the brass. This keeps me from having to keep adjusting the die (and stripping out those little, bitty set screws).

Great Idea !!! what flatstock are you using? I'd like to give this a try, seems to me all you need are maybe a couple and you're good to go.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
FWIW, when I set up a F/L die, I set it up to full length resize the case, including the cam over needed to completely F/L resize. Then I make a flat washer out of flat stock that will fit around the body of the die. I put that between the lock ring on the die and the top of the press. Dime or nickel thickness is about right. With that in place, I am PFLRing the brass. When it becomes hard to chamber, I remove the washer so's I can F/L the brass. This keeps me from having to keep adjusting the die (and stripping out those little, bitty set screws).

Great Idea !!! what flatstock are you using? I'd like to give this a try, seems to me all you need are maybe a couple and you're good to go.

Like stillbeeman said...I purchased flat washers from a local Case-IH tractor dealer parts department. 2 1/4" outside, 11/16" bolt hole size. Had a local machine shop machine the washers to .001 surface tolerance and 4 or 5 smaller thickness.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
@StillBeeMan and MathMan I'll have to try that. Thank you.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
There are as many theories as to which is "better" as there are reloaders and just as many ways of doing it...bottom line is "whatever" works for you is good for you and maybe not so good for someone else.

I use Redding Comp shell holders or grind the bottom of my dies or set headspace correctly in the rifles I build in the first place...and Savage nut system solves that problem fairly well...I even used barrel nuts on a couple of Rem's and Rugers and left off the nut on as many Savages...just to see...but the easiest and quickest is to use the comp shell holders or grind and be within 0.002" shoulder setback which is plenty for all except maybe competition. I DON'T partial or neck size only for ANY of my rifles...for my purposes both of those methods are unacceptable.

Part and parcel of this game is "playing around" with different "things"...bullet seating, sizing, powder and other components, dingle-dangles for our shooters, different types of crowns, barrel lengths, and all the rest.

I don't think there is any really "right/wrong", "best/worst" etc, just different levels of subjectivity and requirements.

Try'em all.

Luck

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (264mag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.