Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Growing up reading and learning about rifles, I was under the impression that some cartridges are more accurate, all things considered, than average, particularly .308 based cartridges. But as I read glowing accounts of 1/2" to 3/4" groups out of everything from .220 Swifts to .375s it seems the rifle and well developed handloads are by far the most important part of the equation. So when I see a question on which caliber should I pick for my new deer rifle, and there are lots of answers that say, "I get 1/2" groups out of my .270" or whatever, I usually discount the accuracy part of the answer as it seems that most any common cartridge can be made to shoot well out of the right rifle.

What do you think? Do you pick a cartridge based on its reputation for good accuracy?
John

HR IC

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nope I pick one out cause I'm either a looney or just want something different.

Only one gun I picked out because I planned on taking it around the US for hunting and that was my .308 and my reasoning was "if I lost my ammo....."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think efficient cases make very accurate rounds..
examples: 308 case, the BR Rem Case, 250 Savage case

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
you left out ppc's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and keyboards... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pick the bullets I want to shoot, the velocity I want to shoot them at, and then figure out what chambering or chamberings will achieve that level of performance.

Pick a good bullet, a quality barrel, have a carefully cut chamber and crown machined in, and any centerfire round will be capable of 3 shot 1/2" 100 yd group w/ a worked up load.

Not all guns are built to the level, and not all shooters are capable of shooting that well, but IMHO a 3 shot 1/2" group isn't magic.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Search old recoreds of "Rifle" magazine. There was an article on inherent accuracy several years ago - I believe it was by John Barnsess but I could be wrong on that point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coalgeo
Search old recoreds of "Rifle" magazine. There was an article on inherent accuracy several years ago - I believe it was by John Barnsess but I could be wrong on that point.

PM comin your way

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes and the 300 Jarrett is 1 of them.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 Win mag is pretty accurate.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
just take a look back through time at what was the norm for bench rest matches and see what has progressed thu time

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sometimes wonder if it might be better to ask if certain cartridges are more forgiving than others.
As bullet quality has made quantum leaps over the last couple of decades, superb accuracy all around has been realized. Simultaneously, the ability to produce great barrels has become commonplace.
Hi-tech machinery like CNC machines have really benefitted the shooting sports. Makes me wonder where this nano-technology will take us next.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Glacier_John
Growing up reading and learning about rifles, I was under the impression that some cartridges are more accurate, all things considered, than average, particularly .308 based cartridges. But as I read glowing accounts of 1/2" to 3/4" groups out of everything from .220 Swifts to .375s it seems the rifle and well developed handloads are by far the most important part of the equation. So when I see a question on which caliber should I pick for my new deer rifle, and there are lots of answers that say, "I get 1/2" groups out of my .270" or whatever, I usually discount the accuracy part of the answer as it seems that most any common cartridge can be made to shoot well out of the right rifle.

What do you think? Do you pick a cartridge based on its reputation for good accuracy?
John
..................I personally don`t choose a cartridge based on its reported reputation for accuracy. Instead, I first choose the caliber, then the cartridge in that caliber, and then which rifle it is available in which suits the need I`m looking for. I then determine what componentry in powder, bullets, COALs etc the individual rifle prefers for best accuracys.

When one asks questions such as "which caliber/cartridge should I pick for this game or that game?" Thats when the confusion begins, especially for novices because there are so many different answers to that question which are all based on all kinds of personal experiences.

Most if not all the answers given are usually correct. Just a matter of preference.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I never bought into the "inherently" accurate cartridge deal. Rifle has to be accurate for the cartridge to have a chance.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think there are inerently accurate cartridges. Look at the .223 and the .225. I think that some of it is tied into just how accomadating the cartridge is. By that I mean if the cartridge will do a good job with a wide range of components, it gains a reputation of being inherenly accurate.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CLB
I never bought into the "inherently" accurate cartridge deal. Rifle has to be accurate for the cartridge to have a chance.

I tend to buy into this train of thought after shooting and handloading for lots of years..but if required to pick only one with the experience I've witnessed it would be the 308..I don't have one, never did but have loaded for many friends and in many different rifles.One of the most forgiving cartridges of the 30's and seems to like almost anything you feed it....

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I put more credence in the rifle than the cartridge.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I feel it lays in the rifle moreso than the cartridge. Since we will never have a perfect rifle and no two rifles are the same, the debate will never be settled.

Look at what some of the LR guys are shooting and the accuracy they recieve with cartridges that noone would dream of being "inherently accurate."

loder

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ldholton
just take a look back through time at what was the norm for bench rest matches and see what has progressed thu time

The bench rest guys have other variables besides inherent accuracy that stains their choices. Barrel life, and recoil to name a couple. If you look at the purported military study between the 06 and the 308, it was hardly apples to apples or scientific.

I think there are too many variables to even formulate the hypotheses. Cartridges themselves do jack- is there an ideal combo? Including; shooter, barrel, optics, primer, powder, bullet, range, recoil,and life, hopefully. Is the brass container the largest variable- I doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.