Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DINK

Over charged or double charged it really matters not. The end result is to much [bleep] powder in the case. Know one even know if the right powder is in the case.

Are you always this slow or only when your on the internet?

Dink

NO ONE HAS PROVEN THAT THE CARTRIDGE WAS OVERLOADED. It has been "Alleged" NOT PROVEN. The gun could have fired out of battery, the gun could have opened at the breach prematurely, the case could have been defeative.

Many factors that could have lead to the problem and none of them proven as of yet

Jumping to conclusions seem to be your MO and now the personal attack when you have no leg to stand on

Last edited by jwp475; 02/16/11.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by DINK

Over charged or double charged it really matters not. The end result is to much [bleep] powder in the case. Know one even know if the right powder is in the case.

Are you always this slow or only when your on the internet?

Dink

NO ONE HAS PROVEN THAT THE CARTRIDGE WAS OVERLOADED. It has been "Alleged" NOT PROVEN. The gun could have fired out of battery, the gun could have opened at the breach prematurely, the case could have been defeative.

Many factors that could have lead to the problem and none of them as of yet

Jumping to conclusions seem to be your MO and now the personal attack when you have no leg to stand on

If the ammo company has said that it was a over charged case it is not jumping to conclusions. Companies do not admit fault unless they are sure they are at fault. No way is a ammo company going to come and say that unless they %100 sure its thier fault.

My guess would be that whatever lot number of ammo this is they know it was over charged and admitted it up front.

Dink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet George Bush loaded the ammo that blew up the pistol. I will keep my Glock , thank you. If i had to make a guess , there is probably more to this than just the AMMO. Nothing is perfect in this world and you have a better chance of winning the lottery than a Glock failing you.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No way to make a definitive assessment OVER THE PHONE. Without complete testing of the ammo in question NO ONE KNOWS but some are certainly jumping to conclusions

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bea175
I bet George Bush loaded the ammo that blew up the pistol. I will keep my Glock , thank you. If i had to make a guess , there is probably more to this than just the AMMO. Nothing is perfect in this world and you have a better chance of winning the lottery than a Glock failing you.

Bingo, we have winner

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Maybe YOU could enlighten the rest of us as to which 40 S&W pistol YOU would guarantee that would have held up better under this circumstance?

Just to add fuel to the fire, HS Arms (manufacturers of the XD line of pistols) has run a number of Glock-like torture tests on their pistols. One of the tests involved intentionally squibbing a .45 ACP round and then firing another round behind it. The pistol held up so they did it again. The pistol held up again. Apparently the pistol functioned just fine, but barrel measurements indicated a slight bulge.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was there a pretty good review and investigation made by the ammo company? I'd be VERY surprised if they just said "it's our fault" without looking things over with a fine toothed comb.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
Nothing is perfect in this world and you have a better chance of winning the lottery than a Glock failing you.

Without naming names, off the top of my head I can think of two Campfire members that had kabooms and two others that had head separations.

Rick Bin should sell lottery tickets. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I think it would be a good idea to identify the ammo company and lot number.

It could save someone else from injury.

Agreed.

+1

That info should've been the first thing you posted!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I think that he with held the name of the ammo maker, because nothing has been proven as of yet

Last edited by jwp475; 02/16/11.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks to me like the brass let go and the gases were diverted into the magazine/trigger area.

If it was over pressure the extractor probably wouldn't still be in the gun.

All the so called Kabooms floating around the internet have the chamber area of the barrel peeled back and that shows a waaay over pressure load and not a fault of the design.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The VAST majority of Glock kB!�s have involved incorrect ammunition, most often handloaded ammunition with cast bullets, but at times, brand new factory loads from a reputable manufacturer. I�m very aware of ONE case where a Glock very obviously fired out of battery because the case was recovered and it had a very high primer hit. There have been other Glock kB!�s from things that blow up any make of gun, like a barrel obstruction.

The Glock doesn�t have an unsupported chamber, and saying so is just an inaccurate statement. Still, Glocks have a little less support at the lower end of the chamber near the feed ramp than most other makes of guns. This doesn�t mean a Glock is unsafe, it just means that a Glock is less forgiving of weakened cases (and ANY reloaded case is weakened), or issues that would lead to an over-pressure situation.

Each of us has to decide whether a given pistols known weaknesses are acceptable or not. There are some here that find that �less forgiving� nature of the Glock to be unacceptable. There are many here who sleep well at night because they feel the odds of getting bit by that bug are about the same as being struck by lightning. It�s an individual call we all make.

It behooves EVERYONE who carries a gun for protection to not deny a known issue with their personal choice of pistol, but to understand it and learn how to best deal with that. I have yet to see a pistol in this world that doesn�t make certain compromises to get the job done. It will do an individual well to know and accept what those compromises are, rather than bury your head in the sand and act like there�s nothing wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stray round
Looks to me like the brass let go and the gases were diverted into the magazine/trigger area.

All the so called Kabooms floating around the internet have the chamber area of the barrel peeled back and that shows a waaay over pressure load and not a fault of the design.
Stray Round - very good observation.

I have to admit, I really didn't pay much attention to the photos, I was more interested in the "spin" certain individuals, from Glock lovers to Glock haters, would put on this issue. But your post forces me to look at the photos and I'm left with a similar conclusion.

The gun in the photos does not exhibit signs of an over-pressure situation. Now the barrel peeling you talk about is usually indicative of a barrel obstruction. But still, in most over-pressure situations the damage to the gun is much more severe. You're right in that the extractor is often blown out. But with an over pressure situation, the dammage to the frame is usually quite graphic and catastrophic. Whereas this pistol doesn't have nearly the damage you normally associate with an over-pressure round.

This pistol looks like your typical G23 that's been fed reloaded ammunition. Now whether it's a case of the owner shooting his own or someone elses reloads, but then stating to everyone that it was factory, I don't know. Or perhaps it's a factory reload; there are many makers of very high quality reloaded ammunition, Black Hills is one such maker.

Now understand, this is anecdoatal, looking at a picture and my opinion is just that, and opinion. But to me, that looks like it was fed a reloaded cartridge.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
"All the so called Kabooms floating around the internet have the chamber area of the barrel peeled back and that shows a waaay over pressure load and not a fault of the design.
"

Not so with my G20. The slide and barrel were the ONLY parts found to be withing spec. And returned to me.
The rest is all new . Even the sights were replaced by Glock.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The one Kaboom I'm familiar with locally, involved Fiocchi ammunition, factory loads, and it happened in an all-but-new 22.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The one Kaboom I'm familiar with locally, involved Fiocchi ammunition, factory loads, and it happened in an all-but-new 22.
so was it ruled bad ammo or gun problem ? confused

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Kiesler's Police Supply, of Jeffersonville, sold both items to my friend, he was a serious "churner" who bought a new pistol every month, it seems like. He was one of their better customers, so they took the pistol back, and quit handling Fiocchi .40 ammo. He got store credit, or something like that, towards another gun. Kiesler's distributes Glocks to the cops, of course, so they took it in stride, and Glock probably gave them a new pistol, anyway. I don't know how it all worked out for Richard, except he was shooting "something else" the next month, nothing new there. He could break a brick with a soda straw.............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
so was it ruled bad ammo or gun problem ? confused

Ammo, I'd reckon, though Richard had used that ammo in several other .40 pistols without any problems, so one guess is as good as another. I think it was claimed as an "ammunition incompatibility issue" and otherwise dropped. He'd bought the gun and ammo at Kiesler's Police Supply, of Jeffersonville, IN, where he bought and traded a LOT of guns.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by stray round

Stray Round - very good observation.

I have to admit, I really didn't pay much attention to the photos, I was more interested in the "spin" certain individuals, from Glock lovers to Glock haters, would put on this issue. But your post forces me to look at the photos and I'm left with a similar conclusion.

The gun in the photos does not exhibit signs of an over-pressure situation. Now the barrel peeling you talk about is usually indicative of a barrel obstruction. But still, in most over-pressure situations the damage to the gun is much more severe. You're right in that the extractor is often blown out. But with an over pressure situation, the dammage to the frame is usually quite graphic and catastrophic. Whereas this pistol doesn't have nearly the damage you normally associate with an over-pressure round.

This pistol looks like your typical G23 that's been fed reloaded ammunition. Now whether it's a case of the owner shooting his own or someone elses reloads, but then stating to everyone that it was factory, I don't know. Or perhaps it's a factory reload; there are many makers of very high quality reloaded ammunition, Black Hills is one such maker.

Now understand, this is anecdoatal, looking at a picture and my opinion is just that, and opinion. But to me, that looks like it was fed a reloaded cartridge.

Overpressure can sometimes look like weak brass and vice versa, especially with a Glock. Some years back Federal had to change the design of their .40S&W brass because the web wasn't reinforced and there were several kabooms involving factory Federal rounds because the "less than fully supported" chamber of the Glock exposed this weakness. These kb's looked just like those involving handloads with weakened brass.

Now the question is, how thick is the web on Fiocci .40S&W brass? Because if it, like the Federal years ago is thin at the web, a double charge could and would seek the weakest link, in this case being the area of "less than fully supported" chamber as opposed to the barrel. If this occurred, it could release at the bottom of the chamber and down the mag well like we see in the picture.

A few years ago I got a bad batch of .223 rounds that were over pressure. I had for all intents and purposes, a KB in my AR-15. There was no damage to the barrel or receiver, but like the Glock shown above, the brass ruptured near the case head and all of the gas escaped down the mag well. Now I know an AR is different than a Glock, but the same principal can apply, gas will escape from the weakest area and in some cases that is the case head.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Glocks are crap, they should be able to stand up to over charged cases, the old weak Federal cases and inexperienced handloaders.

Here is a photo I got today from my father in law. Apparently from Chinese factory loads.?? Glocks are not the only guns that blow up with bad ammo.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KuduBull; 02/16/11.

Marc
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (16penny, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.