Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
...when you rack a 12 gauge every criminal wants to get small....

It has always seemed to me that the one and only "gun sound" that Hollywood seems to always get right, is the sound of pump gun chambering a round. EVERYODY who has ever watched much TV has heard that sound enough times to have a pretty good idea what it means. smirk

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FreeME..........The trick is NEVER let the PERP hear that shotgun rack until the trigger is pulled and the BOOM!!! is on it's way. You just don't ever want to give your postition away in or out of the house with the "racking" of that slide.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Tonk
FreeME..........The trick is NEVER let the PERP hear that shotgun rack until the trigger is pulled and the BOOM!!! is on it's way. You just don't ever want to give your postition away in or out of the house with the "racking" of that slide.

+1

I nefer under stood why you would give your location away

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk

Oh, I wasn't implying that there is a problem with that. Just making an observation on why the sound itself seems to send so many running. Would I rely on that? Depends...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe

It has always seemed to me that the one and only "gun sound" that Hollywood seems to always get right, is the sound of pump gun chambering a round. EVERYODY who has ever watched much TV has heard that sound enough times to have a pretty good idea what it means. smirk
I just don't care for it when they "rack the slide" on an 1100 or some such.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

I just don't care for it when they "rack the slide" on an 1100 or some such.

laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Kevin,
Years ago when I was going to gunsmith school in Denver I lived in a low income part of town in an apartment building.
One day some teenage girls came over and complained about a peeping tom. I got out a 12 gauge double barrel "Coach Gun"
and slowly walked around their building holding the shotgun like I was hunting for rabbits. They never had any problems after that?
Priceless!!

�when you rack a 12 gauge every criminal wants to get small.
People have come to call that a wives tale but I�m here to tell you, it works. Funny story �

I�m 16 years old, and I�m a gun-geek even at 16; I just didn�t have very many guns. It�s the middle of the night, and my grandmother (raise by grandma) spirits into my room and wakes me up and says there�s someone breaking into the house. I wake up in time to hear the front door open as the crook defeats our laughable excuse for a �lock�. Now at age 16 the one thing I could afford to collect was ammunition, and at any time, there is ammo on every counter, surface, shelf, under my bed, etc. I grab my grandfathers old JC Higgins Model 20 shotgun and start searching my room for ammunition and I�m not finding anything; I�m starting to get really nervous. So remembering that racking the slide of a shotgun is universal language for get the %$&# out of my house, I swing my door open, and call out something like �I know you�re in my house, (slide rack as hard and loud as I can), I have a shotgun, if I see you, I�ll shoot you� Sure enough, I hear the front door open and close before the echo of my voice died away (apparently this crook fell into category #1). Not trusting to good nature, I continued to fumble around looking for ammo, and find a single shotgun shell on the bottom shelf of my bookshelf. Load it into the gun and began searching my house (hey, I was 16, what do you want?). And predictably, the crook had fled the scene. I secured the door, we went back to bed, this time with the loaded shotgun right next to my bed. The next day I unloaded my shotgun to discover the round I had put into my gun was a Vietnam era flechette round with 34 case hardened, fin stabilized arrows inside it. I�m pretty sure I was in violation of a few laws just having it in my collection; I�m even more sure it would have been very frowned upon (in California no less) to shoot someone with such a round.

Learned a long list of lessons that day; thank God no one had to get hurt.
Those are both great stories. Wish I had some of those rounds today. I wonder if they are legal here in BFE?

The 37 would be one of my top choices for a shotgun, even though I have to admit not remembering ever having owned one. My top choice is the 870 and that would be followed by the model 12 and then probably the 37 and some others. I'm not a big fan of the shotgun, but I can't fault that choice. I don't know anything about that model JC Higgins.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Yeah they got the sound down right but the timing is always off. They always seem to put the gun in someones face yell a bit them rack the slide on the shotgun or pistol to actually chamber a round to show that they mean business. In real life if you need a gun you better go in locked and loaded.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What I love is when they make the clicking sound of someone cocking a hammer and the pistol does not have an exposed hammer.
grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a S&W J frame with bobed hammer that is with me at all times. Its not hot and sexy but I have 100% conifdence in it and my ablity to shoot it. It is a bit stout with +P loads for the wife so recently I picked up a used S&W 5906 9mm. This older 3rd Gen gun is SS and a bit heavy for carry. It is our house gun now and so far my wife and I shoot it very well. All that being said if TSHTF in my home Ill be grabing my Ithaca...

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
right now, model 19 upstairs, python downstairs.

Paul
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was in the Army we were taught to yell Halt before shooting. It might have been three times? I can't remember but I probably didn't happen very much. grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Trying to stay on topic to the original intent of the thread:
My ideal HD handgun would have these characteristics:
(1) 100% reliable with selected ammo
(2) Accurate and controllable in my hands
(3) High capacity magazine (why not, because it is for HD -- I am not constraining the size of the gun for a mission like CCW)
(4) Lower pressure (because we are shooting indoors)� I choose 45acp
(5) Night sights that work for my eyes (I prefer 3 dot green Trijicons).

So guns that could fill the bill could include XD45, Glock21, HK USP45�

But I have none of these. My primary is an Ed Brown Special Forces� I am willing to trade magazine capacity for the superior Hand Karma and ergonomics of the 1911 platform.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I feel totally comfortable with my SigSaur 228 as my chief home defense weapon. Other than than I prefer a loaded rottweiler.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
that loaded rottweiler must be one sweet thing! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogger

Just don't tell us it's +Pee.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Dogger

Just don't tell us it's +Pee.

My loaded GSP is much more effective. He would rain down such love and affection the bad guy would break down in tears and find himself walking old ladies across the street.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have my G37 45GAP on my side and my wife has our G20 40 cal for her side and two loud dogs for alarm system

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a Steyr M9A1 with a laser. Wifey's is a S&W Mod 638 with Hogue grips. Why these? No bells or whistles, just the triggers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, hopefully, this isn't off the rails. Mine is a Springfield 1911-1A.As it was my first handgun, I am VERY familiar with it and the ammo I use in it. Usually Win factory XPD-1 or handloads that closely duplicate that Win round. I shoot it a lot, so know how it performs. Very trusted.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.