Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What's everyone loading in their .221 Fireballs?

It's my favorite plinking/gopher round. I have several rifles chambered in it.

The one I use for shooting and plinking is a Remington Model 700 Classic. I have exactly 1,053 rounds out of the tube and it still shoots as good as it did on day 1, if not better.

My rifle favored heavier bullets over the lighter ones.

My pet load is as follows...

Remington brass with only half neck sizing
Shoulder bump eith body die just enough to chamber smooth
18.5 grains Reloader 7
Federal 205 Match Primer
Nosler 50 grain Ballistic Tip
Seated .020" off lands
MV 3045

It's a solid .4" to .5" gun consistently, sometimes gets into the .3's. I only measure 5 shot groups. The three shot groups could measure mighty small laugh

It's my favorite round due to barrel life and case life, and I also like the rare aspect of the rifle. Many people, at the range or sometimes even those I run into while hunting, wonder what the heck it is. grin

I do, however, wish Lapua would come out with brass for this round. Remington brass is your only option, or making it from .222 or .223 Lapua. I have found with the time it would take me to do that, and the money, I can sort out the bad Remington stuff by weight sorting, flash hole inspection, and culling bad brass when shooting if they produce fliers.

I have tried alot of powders in this cartridge, and it always seems Reloader 7 is the best.

[Linked Image]

Can't cheat the mountain, Pilgrim...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have a M-700 in .221 Fireball. With right at 1,000 rounds through it my results are very much like yours. In addition to testing lots of bullets, my notes show I have taken 147 ground squirrels with it to date, and a few jack rabbits.

In my rifle H-4198 has been the best powder, just slightly better than RL-7. I got higher velocities out of Lil Gun but couldn't get the accuracy. I tried Lil Gun after reading that JB liked it. My gun does best with 40 and 50 gr bullets, but not as good with anything heavier. It didn't like the 36 gr Barnes Grenades, either.

After testing 16 hunting bullets, the most accurate 50 gr bullet in my gun is the lowly 50 gr Sierra Blitz Medium Velocity #1340 lead-tip bullet. Plastic-tipped bullets matched it at 100 yards, but none could stay with it at 300 yds. I load it with 18.2 gr of H-4198 for 3040 fps.

In 40 gr bullets the Sierra BlitzKing slightly beat out the Hornady and Nosler bullets. This bullet gives more explosive terminal effects than the 50 gr bullet. Ninety percent of my squirrel shots are under 200 yards so I use the 40gr bullet the most over 18.4 gr of H-4198 at about 3200 fps.

I also use the Federal Match primers and agree with you about the Remington cases. I, too, dream of Lapua cases. I can say my accuracy is almost as good as yours and I am pleased with it for a factory barrel.

The best things about the .221 Fireball for me are 1) I can see my hits in the scope, 2) Low noise level for me and the neighbors, and 3) Almost nobody I run into has seen one before. That gives it a bit of mysterious cool-factor that I enjoy.

I hope some others will share their information with us.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
My second best powder, a very close 2nd, was H-4198.

One thing about Reloader 7 I don't like is it varies substantially from lot to lot. I have seen it actually noticeably look completely different from another batch of the same stuff. This requires load tweeking. The Reloader powders, espeically in small calibers, have been known to be temp sensitive for many. I haven't experienced this... but I did experience, on more than one occasion, the lot to lot differences. Required me to tweek either seating depth a tad bit, or charge by .1 or .2 grains. Sometimes more.

I learned to buy it in several pound containers at once to keep it consistent.

I, like you, tried Lil' Gun. I was getting severe pressure signs way before max loads in manuals/websites. With a 40 grain bullet, I was getting loose primer pockets after 1 loading at 15 grains. I even split a few necks on fresh brass.

There's something about the 221 that caught my eye, and had me from day 1 the day I checked out a factory shell in the gunshop. Thing looked nifty. I had to have one.

Shopped around long and hard to find me a rifle. I was originally going to get a LVSF 700 but a buddy of mine talked me into staying with wood on that first 221.

Remington brass definately works... I get a good 17-20+ firings out of it. Problem is, I only end up using less than half from a bag of 100. Off center pockets, weight/volume differences, etc. The ones that pass those tests then get loaded, and fired. If they mysteriously don't hit where others are, they get culled for fliers/sighters.

I hate doing it too... 100 pieces aren't cheap. I did buy bulk when I got it the last time, knowing how much I shoot the rifle(s) so it was good to keep it all in the same lot #.

Heck, when I get Lapua, open up that box and don't worry about a thing.

I have found the same results with Sierra blitzkings on game... they are the most explosive out of the 3 poly tipped varminter bullets.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As a 18+ yr shooter of the 221, I'm a big fan. I primarily stay with the 40-45gr pills, and used RL-7 (among many others tried) as the go-to powder...until I started using AA-1680. My two rifles love the stuff, with amazing velocity and great accuracy.

Another fellow shooter with a 221 uses AA2200 with great success.

R-P brass in 221 has varied in quality over the yrs, but it has not been a significant handicap for enjoying this great over-achiever!

NRA/TSRA Life
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TRT, you had/have a slow barrel.

I don't think I have more than one or two loads that have ever reached book in any rifle, although I do come close sometimes.

I had a barrel re-done in 221 specifically to shoot Lil Gun and Blue Dot under 40s. I can't reach book max with LG (15.5), but it shoots and runs cool and overkills gophers. The Blue Dot is more of the same, just a bit quieter and cooler, but a lot pickier on charge weight selection.

I am thinking very evil thoughts about cooking my own Fireball brass. I have 300 Rem cases and had some of your issues. A friend bought some PMC and while the brass is nice, the necks are thin, and the cases light. He's saving it as he shoots through it (it was the cheapest at the gun show right after Obama won) and I'm going to try squashing it down.

But it is a terrific little thing, isn't it?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite varmint cartridge! I have a Remmy 700VLS that mirrors the performance of the rifles mentioned in this thread. I have only used 40 gr Vmax and RL7 in it, with Rem brass, and have no complaints about the accuracy of the combination. But, like all good rifle loonies, I am thinking about trying the Sierra mentioned, and AA1680, as I've heard good things about it. Love the fireball. If I could only have one varmint rifle, it would be a fireball.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wore out a Fireball with AA-1680 and 40 BT's at 3500.

Always the first gun outta the truck in the prairie dog wars....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A number of years ago I came across a farmer in Central Montana that used a new cartridge in a custom gopher rifle. He showed me the case and I fell in love with it. It was the 221 Fireball made for a Remington bolt pistol. I went home thinking I would build a bolt gun using that cartridge. A few years later I found a new Stainless Ruger in 223 Rem and had a smith rechamber it to the Fireball. The Ruger was a bear to get to shoot, but I finally started getting sub-MOA groups after placing a bunch of pressure under the barrel.

I got good results using RL7, RL10x, IMR 4198, and H4227 with 40-grain V-Max. With Lil�Gun I got the best results using 16.2 grains, but they were just a bit too hot and too inconsistent. My best load ended up using 19.0 grains of RL7, but the velocities were down around 3100fps.

When I built a 20 caliber off the Fireball (20 VarTarg) this Ruger became a safe queen. With N-120 and AA1680 I consistently get 3800-3900fps using a 32-grain V-Max. This cartridge delivers everything I liked about the 221 Fireball and more. Someday I may find a buyer for the Ruger.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The most used 221 has an Apex barrel on a Sako action. For about 20yrs the load has been RL7 and 40's at 3450. Best 50gr load is with AA2200 powder.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Sure is an "over achiever"...

I have the entire 223 cartridge family, and the 221 is the king of the stable in accuracy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackman
AA2200 powder.

Just sold a buddy 2 1/2 eight pounders of that stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The pet load in my daughters 221 is almost the same as the op's

50 gr v-max, 18.5 rl-7, and a cci 205. I don't recall how far it's seated off the lands, but I don know it'll group 5 into 1/2" at 100 yds.

I'm planning on working up a load with the 45 tsx for a deer load, it doesn't like the 53 tsx, but should handle the shorter 45gr.

I did see Hodgdon has data for H-335, likely not the best choice, but I'll probably try it w/ the 50 v-max just out of curiosity.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
After reading Ken Waters Pet Loads article in the November '87 Rifle Magazine, I had my Sako L461 rebarreled to the Fireball. I soon found out that it shot the bulk Remington 50 grain PLHP with RL7 very well.I killed a lot of small vermin with that load. Since then I have shot H335, H322, WW680, H4198, Li'l Gun, Blue Dot and presently shoot AA1680. Like Mulerider, I found 1680 shoots 40 gr bullets fast and accurately. As stated before, the 221 Fireball is an over achiever.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What do you guys predict barrel life to be on the average fireball?

Let's say without ever letting the barrel get warm... always letting it cool.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TeamRealtreeHD

Quality barrel should last 20K plus.

My load:
40G V Max at 3600
Lil Gun
205 caps

Shoots other loads well, but the 40g V-max are explosive.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TeamRealtreeHD

Mine has 5-6k rounds thru it. and it still easily shoots minute of prairie dog out to 300 yds.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
nifty-two-fifty,

Would like to comment on your trying Li'l Gun "after reading that JB liked it."

Actually, I neither like or dislike Li'l Gun in the .221. Instead it simply worked best in my test rifle, a M700 Classic.

Li'l Gun beat every other powder tried with 40's, including RL-7, AA2015, AA1680 and IMR4227. But that doesn't mean it will do the same in every rifle. This may be due to the particular lots of powders I have on hand, or my rifle, or some other reason.

Also, in this particular rifle AA2015, TAC and IMR8208 pretty much tied for all-around accuracy and velocity with 50-grain bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the things I admire about your writing, JB, is its accuracy. That rifle likes Lil Gun. You, however, will use any powder that works well.

Whenever I read comments like "I sure do like that there 3797 powder!" I always wonder if he prefers it on scrambled eggs or ice cream.

Or is this Ken Howell speaking through my two fingertips?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rocky, you ARE sounding kinda like Ken!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mule Deer: I have tried (used!) only ONE powder in my 2,002 vintage Remington 700 Classic in caliber 221 Remington Fireball.
And that powder is Lil' Gun.
I shoot the wonderful Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tips in this Rifle and I am just happy as a clam with the speed, accuracy and performance.
I have no intention of changing a thing in this Rifle/load combo!
Back in 1994 I bought a heavy barrel Kimber Ultra-Varmint Rifle in 221 Fireball and its been a Rifle love affair ever since.
I have a vinatge Leupold straight 12 power scope atop this nifty little Kimber of Oregon Rifle and with its prefered Berger 40 grain bullets and IMR 4227 powder both Varmints and targets see serious outcomes.
This Rifle normally shoots in the low 4's with a rare 3 thrown in.
But my Rifles are HUMBLED by the performance of a friends factory stock Remington 40XB-KS in 221 Fireball that I shot about 14 years ago.
My friend had a 24 power Leupold scope on this Rifle and was shooting the Sierra 52 grainers in it one day at the range. He let me shoot a group and the outcome sure impressed me - my five shots at 100 yards went into .210".
I forget which powder my friend was using and he has since passed on. I am still trying to buy that Rifle from his estate!
Yes your point is a VERY valid one about "each Rifle being an individual" when it comes to accuracy likes and dislikes. But I have several friends who prefer the Lil' Gun powder in their 221's.
Good place to start if nothing else.
My Kimber Ultra-Varmint has not tried Lil' Gun as yet - it had not been invented when I originally did load testing with it and I may give it a try this late winter as a curiousity project.
Long live the 221 Fireball.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,582
Posts18,473,355
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.