Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Too bad the dealer threw the box away. That would have answered alot of questions about this whole thing. I ask my FFL holder to hang to the boxes in case something like this happens. Might be something worth looking into for the next time. Just my .02 worth.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
That's good advice. The second I slipped the rifle out of the silicone sock we both knew it would be nice to have the box to alleviate any of this he-said, she-said stuff. Alas, the box is gone and the pictures are all anyone really has. In all likelyhood I'll just be out the $80some for a new butt-stock. I'll ask for a few more pics next time from all sellers I guess.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've looked the pics over with a fine toothed comb.
The crack on the left side on top tang looks VERY fresh. The opposite one is already in the OP's pics and clear as a bell that it was there prior to sale. Why there was no mention of the crack in seller's description is beyond me.

The crack near the lever looks dark and old in buyers pic but even with contrast and blow-up work, the OP's pic doesn't show it but seller's pic is a bit blurry. I even went to the OP's photobucket account and reviewed the largest pics available.

My opinion, some cracks were already there but at least one is fresh as a daisy and was not in the OP's pic. No box, dealer tossed it? That would be the last time I dealt with that dealer. Period. How the other 2 parties can work this out, is none of my business. I hope you can both work out some middle ground to both your likings.

Seems there's a bit of shade on both sides of this tree...

The stock is non original press checkered junkwood anyway, if it were me, I'd try to find some 'period' wood for it and have myself some nice oiled walnut stock set instead of that poly'ed crap. You can even see the stock was not even fitted well AT ALL!

JMHO
Hopefully no one is offended by my post.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by M99ER
The stock is non original press checkered junkwood anyway, if it were me, I'd try to find some 'period' wood for it and have myself some nice oiled walnut stock set instead of that poly'ed crap. You can even see the stock was not even fitted well AT ALL!

JMHO
Hopefully no one is offended by my post.

Stock is original, though the recoil pad isn't.

If I was going to replace the wood on a 99E, I'd be looking for something along the lines of a 99EG style with schnabel forearm. 99EG's in 308 are rare, and the stock style is popular.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Post mil, pre tang safe, E's were Birch stock press checked??? I must admit, I know more about F's (my fav) and that would have not held true with those. But I didn't think the junkwood came about till later (post lever safe) in any variety.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What is a "Post mil, pre tang safe, E's ..."? If you've got a 99E with a tang safety, you don't have a 99E, since ALL 99Es were cataloged with lever safeties.

JEff

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
A very kind member has offered me what I think is an outstanding deal on a stock. The Campfire is full of good folk, but most here already knew that.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl
Glad you are so close to the rifle, in the pics those are wood grain lines. Did he tell you those crack were fresh. I resent being called a lier. I will still sell on this forum because most of the men are here are gentlemen. I refuse to be badgered by lazy people. Now end this discussion. This is no place to bitch.

It's sellers like this that make me very hesitant to buy a gun from the fire. Which is my problem because there are many fine folks on here and only a few screw it up for the rest of us.

At least we know who NOT to buy from.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If you don't want the rifle, send me a pm. I'm looking for a project to re-stock.

Mike

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
*****I absolutely have no idea what the exact story is***

I am not sure why public opionion seems to be against the seller
This item was shipped with folks (ups or usps)who are good at what they do but really just need to move freight quick and effectively, but have no personal interest like we would handling our own rifle.

The gun was shipped insured, put in a sleeve but the FFL destroyed the evidence. Thats the party that messed things up. Its an oversight but it should be part of the deal for the FFL fees.

I dont know Sunshine girl and have no personal interest in defending her.
I dont see all the problems in the picture that others see, and deep down I am sure they were never retouched.I am not an expert on this issue but.In her post others have talked about the fact she is been honest, doesn't she deserve the benefit of the doubt?

I just shipped a very nice mod 70 I boxed it well but was concerned the whole time, was relieved today when got a PM all was OK.
Last week I had a pistol shipped when it got to my FFL he didnt have to open the box the gun fell right out.
I am getting to the point I dont want to ship a gun for this reason and let me tell you I pack them well.

The whole situation stinks period.

Originally Posted by diamondjim
Too bad the dealer threw the box away. That would have answered alot of questions about this whole thing. I ask my FFL holder to hang to the boxes in case something like this happens. Might be something worth looking into for the next time. Just my .02 worth.

No winners here bad deal

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This evidence is clearly not related to the current discussion. A while back I bought a 99 from a Rachel Dzierzek on Gunbroker. I am assuming that it is the same Sunshinegirl we have on this forum. Pictures showed no evidence of cracked wood but the gun arrived with a serious crack. It is my opinion that the crack wasn't new but seller was not willing to take the gun back. After a lot of whining about being on a fixed income I cut my losses and settled with the seller for $50. I sold the gun because I was so pissed I couldn't look at it without thinking about the transaction. Thats my "Sunshinegirl" story for what its worth. RP

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, same seller.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl
Hey guys, Mr grumpy is complaining about a rifle I sold him. I do not sell rifle with defects that I don't show to the seller. If he opened the package at the dealers like I would, he wold have found cracks because of shipping. I insured the rifle for $400 to cover loss & damage. I fail to see how he could get it from his dealer without noticing it, and p right then and there. Any dealer here would open the box, and have to write down the serial numbers ,and do a back ground check. I took pics of the receiver sides be4cause that's were mars on the finish were As for Mr John Wayne, I would not sell to him because he is an out of state person so no FTF. I go through proper channels for any sale. To say I knew the cracks were there is an out right lie.

The dealer is indeed 90mi away. I picked up the rifle 4 or 5 days after it arrived. The dealer had opened the box, threw the box away, and logged in the firearm before I arrived. I sent sunshine girl the 1st message regarding the cracked stock right from the dealer's own computer while still in his shop. I then took the rifle home for pictures because I have a quality camera and wanted to show the cracks without a doubt.

For the record, the rifle was shipped on time for whatever that is worth.

This kind of crap is exactly the reason my dealer doesn't open my boxes. I get a tracking # and I know when it shows up there and I open it when I get there. That way there's no questions as to what all was in the box and what shape it was in...etc. He doesn't have to log it in until it's opened. It can sit in the box in his back room for a week and he doesn't have to log it in.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Both left side and right side stock cracks are present in the seller's pics. The only benefit of the doubt I would give the seller (and a very minuscule one at that) is that the cracks may have become more obvious because of a change in temperature/humidity. My BoD, that the rifle was not misrepresented, is that the seller is legally blind and just could not see the cracks.

Last edited by carbon12; 02/17/11. Reason: grammar
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by M99ER
Post mil, pre tang safe, E's were Birch stock press checked??? I must admit, I know more about F's (my fav) and that would have not held true with those. But I didn't think the junkwood came about till later (post lever safe) in any variety.

As Jeff said, all 99E's were lever safety, and all the other models of the time were tang safety. None of the 99E's ever had quality stocks, but some versions were better than others. The impressed checkering was present on all models for a number of years starting in 1965. With the short barrel, it's a nice woods or blind rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am also a buyer of one of SunshineGirls Savage 99's the C model in .308. Everything shown in her pics and what was described was accurate. She threw in a scope and rings too. Super deal.

Last edited by theduke308; 02/18/11.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks theduke308. Forgot to mention that the gun you bought had a tang crack which I told him about, reduced the selling price, as he still wanted it and add unknown to him, added a scope and mounts for free. Real support, hope it doesn't blow up

RIKKER did he forget to remember the rifle was a 250 was redone by a gunsmith, barrel reblued like a Weatherby, and stock refinished, that a piece of filler, probably put on a small crack very close to the tang came out during shipment to Washington state in the dead of winter. I gave him $50 to take it to a smith to fix..I twas fully insured too, but must be my fault, right

Last edited by sunshinegirl; 02/18/11.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am so glad you have eyes that can see what I surely must have missed, or hidden, as the story I read goes. I looked at the tang crack, and appears to me that the gun was dropped butt first on a very hard surface to splinter like that, but hey, what insurance for. I drop the rifle off to my gun shop, he packages it for me, and gives it off to UPS, then they give it to the receiving gun shop who opens the box. Even if the box was around, I think you would not find it damaged. Buy again, why do I bother to insure items sent. Must be my fault right?? How far does my responsibility go, right to the range?? If I wanted to hide stuff, I would take distant blurry pics, but instead take closeup of each part of the gun. MY mistake of not taking one of the tang

Last edited by sunshinegirl; 02/17/11.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well if I get this right, I must be a cheat cause I don't want to pay for another butt stock because of someone dropping the 99. Yep, you all poops must have super eyes sight to see beyond me cleverly hiding all those crack. Wow, I am impressed. Seems stupid of me to insure items doesn't it?? Next item I ship will be wrapped in a WalMart bag, label taped on, and no insurance for what value is it. Seems you guys haven't the good sense to know what that is anyway.

Rule #1 Blame the seller.......
Rule #2 Read rule #1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by carbon12
Both left side and right side stock cracks are present in the seller's pics. The only benefit of the doubt I would give the seller (and a very minuscule one at that) is that the cracks may have become more obvious because of a change in temperature/humidity. My BoD, that the rifle was not misrepresented, is that the seller is legally blind and just could not see the cracks.

The rifle did ship from AZ to ND, and it was cold here that week. That still doesn't explain the dirt and obvious age in 2 of the 3 cracks.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 61 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,945
Posts18,519,152
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.