-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I loaded up a few mild loads for the 416 Rigby [ NO. 1 ] I got from Allen.I had 3 scopes to choose from and since the 6x Leupold offered more eye relief,I mounted it.The rifle is very shootable with these loads- 95 gr. of H4350 and 350 gr. speer,but the trigger is hard and creepy.Is there a reason for a heavy trigger on a big bore?I have 3 lb triggers on all but my marlin 45 70.I dont know what it is, but it's not as heavy as this one.
<br>
<br>What trigger weight do y'all use on big bores? Any different for medium bores?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Trigger Pull is of course a personal issue...
<br>I like my DG guns around 4lbs BECAUSE...
<br>Unlike target guns, you will probably have to carry that thing through some very heavy brush or the tall grass, and you MAY have to carry it with the safety off/sling off. Sorry for you safety fans, but I've done it after wounded Buffalo, and from 7-10 yards, you will not have time to fumble with a safety. Every time a blade of grass breaks, or a shoe squeaks, your finger will instinctively go for the trigger, so you want something definitive between your finger and "bang". I have literaly been back to back with my buddy, through the grass, one of us walkin backwards under such a situation.
<br>
<br>During a charge if that happens, you may want to carefully time and place your ONLY shot, and anything premature of your intentions means you blew it, end of story.
<br>
<br>Your vitals target on a DG animal is typically about 12" so precision bullet placement is not as much of an issue. I have not found 4lbs to be counter productive to good shot placement.
<br>
<br>Actually, from my experience, I would say 6X is probably too much for a fixed scope. I always carry mine on the lowest settings 1.5X or 3X for quicker target acquisition, and then would zoom in time permitting for the best sight picture.
<br>
<br>Also don't overlook a set of QD scope mounts, cause if the going get harry, off comes the glass and sling... It's like an old world duel, you and Buffalo at 20 paces...

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene:
<br>
<br>Since you are apparently not going to be stalking DG and there is very small probability that the Ruger #1 will go full auto on you, set the trigger pull to be consistent with your others, that is at 3 lbs IMO.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Much obliged to both of y'all.Boggy knows the only D.G. I come in contact with is the annual crap game at the supply store Christmas party,and it can get hairy,but doesn't warrant a 416.My 41 mag blackhawk works fine!
<br>
<br>I dont intend to leave the 6x on,Steve.I wanted to do load development and needed a scope on for that.I had two unemployed Redfields,but I wasn't comfortable with the eye relief.You are not the first one I've heard mention a 1- 5 variable. I'm going to look for one at the Ft. Worth gun show this weekend.I did use Q.D. mounts in case I want to use the iron sights.The rifle fits my saddle scabbard W.O. scope for instance.
<br>
<br>I'm sending it to smith and asking for 3 lbs.If 4 is the best he can get without a moyers trigger,I'll settle for that since it works for Steve.
<br>
<br>CAT,you really need one of these!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene:
<br>
<br>No thanks, I didn't really enjoy getting my teeth filled the first time, don't need them shook loose and have to do it again.
<br>
<br>You about to shoot that .416 reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.......Guy jumps out of 50 story building, and as he passes the 25th story, man yells at him, "How are you doing?" "OK, so far........."
<br>
<br>

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got it back from the smith today. He replaced the trigger with another factory one.The old one was buggered up.He puts a lot of set triggers on so he had a new one laying around.He set it at 3 lbs and it is as good as my other rifles.I havent shot it yet since it's dark but I'm sure it will work just fine.
<br>
<br>Didnt make it to the Ft Worth show so it still has the 6x Leupold.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gene, didn't know you were a local... (I live in Dallas)
<br>
<br>I have a Luepold 1.5x4.5 on one gun, and a Ziess on another,
<br>and both are highly satisfactory on a big gun.. The Ziess is awfully pricey, but man-o-man what a sweetie..
<br>

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Steve,I'm west of Jacksboro - really North of due west- about 20 miles.I'm interested in a 1.5 x 5 Leupold.I have one question:Can you see as well right at dark as with a3.5x10 vari 3,assuming both are set on the same power? I've got 2 of those and I really like them.I'm assuming eye relief is as good as other Leupolds.
<br>
<br>We will get together for a hunt sometime if you are interested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve your theory on a Dangerous game rifles trigger pull mirrors mine. Either we are both wrong or we actually understand this topic!
<br>
<br>Unlike precise target shooting where a light trigger is desired, you do actually pull the trigger on a DG rifle. When the sights intersect the aimpoint you "pull" the trigger. The trick is to have it light enough to break over without moving off target and stiff enough to require you to use a bit of effort to pull it.
<br>
<br>You will always shoot premature if you have the crosshairs on the animal and your finger touches the trigger. It's just human nature. With a 3-4 pound trigger you will have to deliberately "Pull" the trigger to make it fire. So long as it breaks clean and all at once the weight is not as relevent. Just make sure it's not going to get jarred loose or pulled premature!jj

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene:
<br>
<br>I am distinctly UNIMPRESSED with the light gathering qualities of the 1.5x5 VX-IIIs that I have (2). I think you will be too. For your purposes, I would definitely go another route.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks,I will! Hell,I can see iron sights in the daytime,why buy a scope that wont work at nite!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.