Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm pretty sure why I couldn't get one of my rifles to shoot worth a chit! Pulled it apart and I have a nice crack running the length of the stock, from the lug to the rear fastener and a little beyond. Can't see it on the outside of the stock though. Not sure how I managed to do that! Any suggestions on how to fix it?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sad to see this on a $500+ 'glass stock.

I have some questions -

First who did the action bedding work ?

Second,when installing the pillars, and doing the bedding, did they check to make sure there were no high spots along the sides of the action between the front and rear guard screws?

Also, was the action bedded into bedding compound by tightening the action screws or by gravity or tension bands? etc?

The reason why I ask, is the placement of those cracks look like stress cracks from a "wedge" effect due to the action sides pushed outward in the middle as they bottom out before either end of the action out at the pillars.

The outward tension on the action inlet may not crack it right away, but over time combined with recoil/vibration it will crack the stock as shown.

Last edited by jim62; 02/18/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Odds on favorite is the front action screw was taking recoil.

If you haven�t sent it off check for proper clearance as there should be not contact between action screws and pillars.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
stuff happens basically.... they'll fix it. No one is perfect, and as long as CS takes care of it, no big deal.
its when you buy expensive stuff like a schneider barrel, and the twist is stamped wrong, and it won't stabilize the long range bullet you ordered it specifically for and they wont' make good on their mistake.. thats poor customer service and that sucks.
We know Mc is good though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
It's in the mail! I'm sure something was funky with the bedding or something like that. I bought the gun used, and it was already bedded. We'll see what McM says when they get it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwill350

Last year, I had a Talley lightwieght split right down the middle.

More info on what happened here, please. Never had that happen and got them on all my rem 700's.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Calvin,

No reason to exceed 40 - 45in lbs on a 1/4"-28 screw. You're right at the maximum tensile load of the more common materials used for gun screws in that thread pitch. The threads in the receiver will more than likely not give, being that most receivers are of tool grade steel and heat treated.

As long as the pillars and bedding are done RIGHT, there is no reason to exceed this no matter type of action or caliber.

With that being said, the 270WSM might be on the verge of "too much" for the edge style stock. I really don't know, but it would be interesting to ask them, I know they have done some research.

McMillan is and incredible company that will no doubt take care of it for you. #1 in my book and glad to see this didn't spook you at all.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eddief
the 270WSM might be on the verge of "too much" for the edge style stock.

338 WM is the cut off point for an Edge.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was told by one of the ladies the caliber can vary and depends on stock and action style??

Maybe Ryan will chime in if he sees this thread...

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calvin,

You said you bought it used. Any chance it came from a warmer climate?

You had it out if the stock recently, before you noticed the crack?

-Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
99% it is not McMillan�s fault as letting the actions screws take recoil will split most any wood stock and the Edge fill is not as strong as the standard fill. This is why you cannot get an Edge without the pillars.

Not McMillan�s fault if the custom bedding let the action screws take the recoil but they are a great company and might just cover it anyway.

Good Luck Calvin. smile Ryan are you listening??

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Much like leupold, I suspect that McMillan will make it right regardless.

Would take a lot more than that to spook me about McMillan.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I reckon I'll not have a Yard Sale either...............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Calvin,

You said you bought it used. Any chance it came from a warmer climate?

You had it out if the stock recently, before you noticed the crack?

-Dan

I don't remember the last time I had it from the stock. I had to send the gun in to get a recrown, after I dinged it up well over a year ago, so that was probably the last time.

If McM don't fix it, or don't cover it, I won't really care. Anthony killed his first bear with it, and Johnny killed his first deer with it. Rifle got some good use..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
99% it is not McMillan�s fault as letting the actions screws take recoil will split most any wood stock and the Edge fill is not as strong as the standard fill. This is why you cannot get an Edge without the pillars.

Not McMillan�s fault if the custom bedding let the action screws take the recoil but they are a great company and might just cover it anyway.

Why are you seeking to undermine Calvin's position with McMillan on a potential warranty claim? Doesn't reflect very well on you or your business.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nor do the B&C handles he schleps.............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
AWESOME company and WILL take care of it without a doubt!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JasonF

Why are you seeking to undermine Calvin's position with McMillan on a potential warranty claim? Doesn't reflect very well on you or your business.

Calvin asked for opinions on the failure. If I thought it was a McMillan problem I would have certainly said so but that is almost surely a bad bedding job.

It would have been better to run down McMillan from a business stand point but action screws taking recoil from improper bedding is not exactly a new problem. Calvin did not do the bedding so this is no slam on him.

You can�t blame McMillan in that situation but they are really a standup company and I bet the outcome will be to both parties satisfaction.

I really don�t think Calvin was looking for a reason to get something from McMillan that was not appropriate. He just was looking for answers because some guys want to know the cause of failure to avoid it in the future rather than find someone to blame just to get a new stock.

It might be strange to you but some guys are more concerned with preventing a like failure in the field than getting an extra stock from a bunch of great guys like the crew at McMillan.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why do you use B&C stocks on your platform,which you bill as being top flight? What advantages do the B&C handles have in their construction,inletting,fit,finish and ergo's,that sway you in this direction...from say a McMillan(who's obviously without peer)?

Why wouldn't you use the better wares(McMillan),as a means of prevention?.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Why do you use B&C stocks on your platform,which you bill as being top flight? What advantages do the B&C handles have in their construction,inletting,fit,finish and ergo's,that sway you in this direction...from say a McMillan(who's obviously without peer)?

Why wouldn't you use the better wares(McMillan),as a means of prevention?.................

Just sayin that you can't blame McMillan for bad bedding if that is the case.

On the other hand it is damn hard (impossible) to split an aluminum bedding block no matter if the action screws take recoil.

They won�t take recoil in our stock but it is still nice to know up on the mountain that things are covered but you really don�t hunt hard so what does it matter to you, Lil Fish???

Costal blacktails from a boat are hardly a test of equipment.

Hell you get by with some pretty sorry crap and still seem to kill something. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Just sayin that you can't blame McMillan for bad bedding if that is the case.

On the other hand it is damn hard (impossible) to split an aluminum bedding block no matter if the action screws take recoil.

They won�t take recoil in our stock but it is still nice to know up on the mountain that things are covered but you really don�t hunt hard so what does it matter to you, Lil Fish???

Costal blacktails from a boat are hardly a test of equipment.

Hell you get by with some pretty sorry crap and still seem to kill something. cool

Am I to infer,that due to your "rugged testing procedures",that you found B&C superior to McMillan? Or that McMillan has no place on a Hard Use Rifle or a Mountain Rifle,as per your "experience"? Could use please list these "concessions" and extrapolate in kind.

This revelation is really liable to upset the Custom Rifle World and your "insight" is much appreciated upon this matter.

Please expound...............

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (22kHornet, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 1badf350, 21, 33 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.