-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't claim to be an expert on these things, but if that rifle showed up in my hands with those cracks, and they hadn't been disclosed by the seller, something's wrong here. I don't believe those occurred in shipping, and the seller should have disclosed those in her description. The photos appear to have been taken in such a way as to show the damage as slightly as possible. It doesn't sound like when she was approached about the issue, that she was willing to work in good faith to satisfy her customer. This is all just part of being a good seller. She's paid the price now-folks won't do business with her because of this. 'Too bad this couldn't be resolved amicably. Maybe others won't feel slighted by her in the future beacuse of this.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is the last time I will read or respond on this post. For what it is worth, there was no evidence that the damage to the stock on the gun I purchased had ever been repaired. Their was no missing wood that could be replaced by a piece of "filler". It was just an obvious crack that looked ever bit as old as the ones in the gun we are talking about. I hope horse1 gave sunshinegirl a chance to resolve this in private but that is none of my business. I already know I wouldn't buy from her again and everyone must choose for themselves. Assuming that horse1 contacted the seller privately before posting publicly, I would say this is exactly how the forum should police itself. RP

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We have a gunshop in town that receives guns for a local writer. Yesterday they received a new C Sharps 45-70 direct from the manufacturer via USPO. The stock was cracked/broken and was taken back to the PO to file a claim. I cant remember the model right now, but I will edit post as soon as I find out. I wonder how it will turn out.

Anyway, shippers do break stuff sometimes.

Last edited by TheWarrior; 02/18/11.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl
Well if I get this right, I must be a cheat cause I don't want to pay for another butt stock because of someone dropping the 99. Yep, you all poops must have super eyes sight to see beyond me cleverly hiding all those crack. Wow, I am impressed. Seems stupid of me to insure items doesn't it?? Next item I ship will be wrapped in a WalMart bag, label taped on, and no insurance for what value is it. Seems you guys haven't the good sense to know what that is anyway.

Rule #1 Blame the seller.......
Rule #2 Read rule #1

Hard to imagine that an adult would not know that shipping insurance is for damage incurred during shipping. The damage to the stock had already occurred before shipping as evidenced by the seller's own pics. A claim against the insurance for the pre-existing stock cracks would constitute obvious FRAUD.

Flipping guns on small margins is a not smart when one is stupid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks theduke308. Forgot to mention that the gun you bought had a tang crack which I told him about, reduced the selling price, as he still wanted it and add unknown to him, added a scope and mounts for free. Real support, hope it doesn't blow up

RIKKER did he forget to remember the rifle was a 250 was redone by a gunsmith, barrel reblued like a Weatherby, and stock refinished, that a piece of filler, probably put on a small crack very close to the tang came out during shipment to Washington state in the dead of winter. I gave him $50 to take it to a smith to fix..I twas fully insured too, but must be my fault, right

Sorry I didn't mean this as negative. She did throw in a scope and rings and reduced the price. If it shoots as well as it looks it will be a super deal.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rikker
This is the last time I will read or respond on this post. For what it is worth, there was no evidence that the damage to the stock on the gun I purchased had ever been repaired. Their was no missing wood that could be replaced by a piece of "filler". It was just an obvious crack that looked ever bit as old as the ones in the gun we are talking about. I hope horse1 gave sunshinegirl a chance to resolve this in private but that is none of my business. I already know I wouldn't buy from her again and everyone must choose for themselves. Assuming that horse1 contacted the seller privately before posting publicly, I would say this is exactly how the forum should police itself. RP

I gave several opportunities in private. Those attempts were met with the same attitude that's been shown by the seller's remarks post-sale on this thread.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by theduke308
Thanks theduke308. Forgot to mention that the gun you bought had a tang crack which I told him about, reduced the selling price, as he still wanted it and add unknown to him, added a scope and mounts for free. Real support, hope it doesn't blow up

RIKKER did he forget to remember the rifle was a 250 was redone by a gunsmith, barrel reblued like a Weatherby, and stock refinished, that a piece of filler, probably put on a small crack very close to the tang came out during shipment to Washington state in the dead of winter. I gave him $50 to take it to a smith to fix..I twas fully insured too, but must be my fault, right

Sorry I didn't mean this as negative. She did throw in a scope and rings and reduced the price. If it shoots as well as it looks it will be a super deal.

I took your post as having a positive experience.

Via PM I made it clear that I wasn't mad and that I'd be happy to discuss the matter live over the phone and provided my number. That was met with the same "FU" attitude that's been displayed here post-sale.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't know either party involved but I can see both top cracks in the sellers original pics. Yes, I have good vision but also an old computer monitor. Its entirely possible that the seller was unaware of the cracks but should be able to see them once pointed out. I wonder if the original pics are larger on her computer and could be posted in that larger format for all to see the cracks?

2 many 22's and 2 little time
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ralfus
I don't know either party involved but I can see both top cracks in the sellers original pics. Yes, I have good vision but also an old computer monitor. Its entirely possible that the seller was unaware of the cracks but should be able to see them once pointed out. I wonder if the original pics are larger on her computer and could be posted in that larger format for all to see the cracks?

I mentioned that very scenario during PM's in an attempt at private resolution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This evidence is clearly not related to the current discussion. A while back I bought a 99 from a Rachel Dzierzek on Gunbroker. I am assuming that it is the same Sunshinegirl we have on this forum. Pictures showed no evidence of cracked wood but the gun arrived with a serious crack. It is my opinion that the crack wasn't new but seller was not willing to take the gun back. After a lot of whining about being on a fixed income I cut my losses and settled with the seller for $50. I sold the gun because I was so pissed I couldn't look at it without thinking about the transaction. Thats my "Sunshinegirl" story for what its worth. RP (Why dosent she denie this report?? Strke two)

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Buyer beware, just about every gun for sale on the 'net is going to give you some unpleasant surprise.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The FFL I use has a Clown that has to touch every firearm coming in to the store. I saw him bump a stock and put a mark in the finish. I told him never touch anything I am dealing with or I would kick his azz. the stock could of been damaged at the FFL by some clown. I don't think a crack in a photo can be verifid unless it is a bad one, some grains look like cracks. or it could of cracked on the grain line later . it would be a hard one to call without seeing the stock in person before and after the incident..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had 3 rifles (all Savage 99's) damaged from shippers in the past year. One was so bad it had been split on both sides of the tang area and a big chip laying loose in the box. It's as if it was dropped on the butt end on concrete. The butt stock screw was even bent. Sure took alot of effort to damage it that bad but goes to show it does happen. Make sure your FFL who receives your guns saves all the packaging because you will need it for insurance purposes. If your FFL waits to open the package while you are present that is better yet. Tom.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have about 2 cents left right now and here they are. Crack on right side of stock is plainly visible in the before pics and is obviously aged, it was present before the sale; it was not disclosed nor referenced but nonetheless the buyer's FFL is a dumphuck. I do not mess with an ignore list but will certainly keep this transaction in mind as the post-sale dialogue has definitely tainted my opinion. Possibly a cardboard box is inadequate for shipping 99s? All the best to the buyer, sorry this happened to ya. OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shipping in a generously padded hard case inside of a cardboard box is a very good way to go for most 99's. Cheap insurance so to speak.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by lauren
Buyer beware, just about every gun for sale on the 'net is going to give you some unpleasant surprise.

That statement is so incredibly not true.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lauren

That hasn't been my experience. I must be lucky, but then I guess I haven't bought guns online from folks who are in business peddling used guns like this seller. I buy from individuals selling from their personal collections. It's one thing to buy from an individual looking for an honest price, and another to buy from a horse trader looking to maximize profits on pass-throughs.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well said 257wby

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hubert
The FFL I use has a Clown that has to touch every firearm coming in to the store. I saw him bump a stock and put a mark in the finish. I told him never touch anything I am dealing with or I would kick his azz. the stock could of been damaged at the FFL by some clown. I don't think a crack in a photo can be verifid unless it is a bad one, some grains look like cracks. or it could of cracked on the grain line later . it would be a hard one to call without seeing the stock in person before and after the incident..

Just so you know, the "clown" has to verify the serial # on your weapon, (not on the paper work) within 24 hrs., and log it in the book, so if your not there to pick up your gun the day it gets there, he has no choice but to handle your weapon. If you don't like the "clown" that handles your weapon, I guess find another FFL dealer to ship to.

JohnP
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomA
I have had 3 rifles (all Savage 99's) damaged from shippers in the past year. One was so bad it had been split on both sides of the tang area and a big chip laying loose in the box. It's as if it was dropped on the butt end on concrete. The butt stock screw was even bent. Sure took alot of effort to damage it that bad but goes to show it does happen. Make sure your FFL who receives your guns saves all the packaging because you will need it for insurance purposes. If your FFL waits to open the package while you are present that is better yet. Tom.

In the late 70's, early 80's I shipped in a business for UPS. When you package up an item to ship, UPS would say that it had to be able to withstand 100 lbs stacked on it and be dropped 3 feet to a concrete floor.

When my twin brother received a destroyed rifle from a dealer in OH, UPS looked at the packaging and stated, "The item in the packaging has to be padded and separated from the outside of the box by at least 12". In other words, if you item gets damaged, you didn't package it well enough. Hence the reason I pad, box, wrap, pad, re-box everytime. I look at it like a contest. UPS, Fed EX, USPS, just see if you can manage to damage a rifle I have packed.

On the other hand, I have picked up rifle at my FFL, that were an oversized box with crumpled newspaper, and my rifle floating around inside. A miracle it wasn't totally screwed up.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.