Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Calvin asked for opinions on the failure. If I thought it was a McMillan problem I would have certainly said so but that is almost surely a bad bedding job.

It would have been better to run down McMillan from a business stand point but action screws taking recoil from improper bedding is not exactly a new problem. Calvin did not do the bedding so this is no slam on him.

You can�t blame McMillan in that situation but they are really a standup company and I bet the outcome will be to both parties satisfaction.

I really don�t think Calvin was looking for a reason to get something from McMillan that was not appropriate. He just was looking for answers because some guys want to know the cause of failure to avoid it in the future rather than find someone to blame just to get a new stock.

It might be strange to you but some guys are more concerned with preventing a like failure in the field than getting an extra stock from a bunch of great guys like the crew at McMillan.

I have no doubt about Calvin's positive motivation in starting this thread and if I did, he clarified it for us all a few posts earlier by saying that he didn't care if it got replaced under warranty. I own several Edge stocks, so came into this thread with exactly the motivation you accuse me of lacking, i.e. concerned with preventing a like failure in the field.

Nor do I have any doubt about McMillan's willingness to stand by their excellent product and equally excellent warranty.

I do wonder when someone such as yourself who is here in a commercial capacity seems to have a blame-shifting reflex which puts a problem back onto the consumer, especially when you draw Ryan's specific attention to it.

For me it doesn't reflect very well on you or your business.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Why do you use B&C stocks on your platform,which you bill as being top flight? What advantages do the B&C handles have in their construction,inletting,fit,finish and ergo's,that sway you in this direction...from say a McMillan(who's obviously without peer)?

Why wouldn't you use the better wares(McMillan),as a means of prevention?.................

Just sayin that you can't blame McMillan for bad bedding if that is the case.

On the other hand it is damn hard (impossible) to split an aluminum bedding block no matter if the action screws take recoil.

They won�t take recoil in our stock but it is still nice to know up on the mountain that things are covered but you really don�t hunt hard so what does it matter to you, Lil Fish???

Costal blacktails from a boat are hardly a test of equipment.

Hell you get by with some pretty sorry crap and still seem to kill something. cool

Am I to infer,that due to your "rugged testing procedures",that you found B&C superior to McMillan? Or that McMillan has no place on a Hard Use Rifle or a Mountain Rifle,as per your "experience"? Could use please list these "concessions" and extrapolate in kind.

This revelation is really liable to upset the Custom Rifle World and your "insight" is much appreciated upon this matter.

Please expound...............

Right now I think our stock is the best thing going but I do have a pattern at McMillan and when I can get it done we will have the add options of the lighter Edge and the great gel coat finish at a slightly heavier version for those customers who wish either option.

Right now we simply offer the wonderful A-3 to those customers who feel the McMillan product in either the standard fill with the gel coat or the lighter weight Edge is more in keeping with their goals in their custom rifle.

Lil Fish you are truly gold and for that I thank you.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What are the particulars that would leave you to believe,that a B&C is better than a McMillan? Is it construction technique,materials,inletting,fit,finish or ergo's,that have you denote them as being second fiddle in your "experienced" opinion?

How do you conduct your stock "testing" and what were/are the McMillan weaknesses in the B&C extrapolation,as per your findings?

In what AO's would you quantify the McMillan as having a "disadvantage" and for what reasons?

This is very "enlightening"..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I love it! A rifle builder who sells bottom tier schitt at a rediculous price, giving his opinion on top shelf equipment. Maybe you should think about adding a McMillan to your "platform". You could at least raise your outragous price another couple grand! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JasonF

Calvin asked for opinions on the failure. If I thought it was a McMillan problem I would have certainly said so but that is almost surely a bad bedding job.

It would have been better to run down McMillan from a business stand point but action screws taking recoil from improper bedding is not exactly a new problem. Calvin did not do the bedding so this is no slam on him.

You can�t blame McMillan in that situation but they are really a standup company and I bet the outcome will be to both parties satisfaction.

I really don�t think Calvin was looking for a reason to get something from McMillan that was not appropriate. He just was looking for answers because some guys want to know the cause of failure to avoid it in the future rather than find someone to blame just to get a new stock.

It might be strange to you but some guys are more concerned with preventing a like failure in the field than getting an extra stock from a bunch of great guys like the crew at McMillan.

I have no doubt about Calvin's positive motivation in starting this thread and if I did, he clarified it for us all a few posts earlier by saying that he didn't care if it got replaced under warranty. I own several Edge stocks, so came into this thread with exactly the motivation you accuse me of lacking, i.e. concerned with preventing a like failure in the field.

Nor do I have any doubt about McMillan's willingness to stand by their excellent product and equally excellent warranty.

I do wonder when someone such as yourself who is here in a commercial capacity seems to have a blame-shifting reflex which puts a problem back onto the consumer, especially when you draw Ryan's specific attention to it.

Holy Crap Dude,

My job is not to get Calvin a new stock. That being said I suspect with my involvement he will be treated fairly and McMillan will most likely give him a new stock.

Anyone who has bedded more than 5 stocks can see from where the crack starts at the front action screw that the screw took recoil and McMillan is not responsible for a bad bedding job.

You act like the guys at McMillan would not know this unless dumb ol me pointed it out. They are total pros and bed way more rifles than you can imagine. They would have very quickly seen the problem and addressed it properly.

I do not run McMillan but my guess is properly for them would be a new stock. If I am wrong and I have screwed Calvin out of a new stock then I will make it right myself.

Are you now happy???

More important, I think to Calvin is how to keep this from happening in the future. Check to make sure your actions screws are not taking recoil. Might just save a hunt instead of simply a replaceable stock.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JasonF

Holy Crap Dude,

My job is not to get Calvin a new stock. That being said I suspect with my involvement he will be treated fairly and McMillan will most likely give him a new stock.

Anyone who has bedded more than 5 stocks can see from where the crack starts at the front action screw that the screw took recoil and McMillan is not responsible for a bad bedding job.

You act like the guys at McMillan would not know this unless dumb ol me pointed it out. They are total pros and bed way more rifles than you can imagine. They would have very quickly seen the problem and addressed it properly.

I do not run McMillan but my guess is properly for them would be a new stock. If I am wrong and I have screwed Calvin out of a new stock then I will make it right myself.

Are you now happy???

More important, I think to Calvin is how to keep this from happening in the future. Check to make sure your actions screws are not taking recoil. Might just save a hunt instead of simply a replaceable stock.

Groovin' HEAVILY on how your "involvement" is germane and a "bargaining chip" to boot.

Mighta just pee'd a little on that one!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[
Groovin' HEAVILY on how your "involvement" is germane and a "bargaining chip" to boot.

Mighta just pee'd a little on that one!..................

I actually believe you there.

Depends are made for fellows like you.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JessG
I love it! A rifle builder who sells bottom tier schitt at a rediculous price, giving his opinion on top shelf equipment. Maybe you should think about adding a McMillan to your "platform". You could at least raise your outragous price another couple grand! grin

Look at the pics in the first post in this thread.

Ever seen a Bell and Carlson or H&S precision with an Aluminum action block split like that just by using it as intended??

The day you see a thread started about Mr Burn's B&C stocks breaking like that under normal use is the day you can call them "bottom tier".

Until then, you can continue licking the sweat off McMillan's balls..

Last edited by jim62; 02/19/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Holy Crap Dude,

Are you now happy???

You seem to be missing (or ducking) my point. Perhaps it would help if you could explain your intention by posting the following...
Ryan are you listening??

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jim62

Ever seen a Bell and Carlson or H&S precision with an Aluminum action block split like that just by using it as intended??

The day you see a thread started about Mr Burn's B&C stocks breaking like that under normal use is the day you can call them "bottom tier".

Can't say that I have seen that... but I have seen that all the benchrest rifles these days have gone to aluminum bedding blocks that are not skim bedded on top of it, and are all the rage and setting new range records, probably as we speak. Looks like B/C stock value is skyrocketing due to this new trend too.

Groupies.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Can't say that I have seen that... but I have seen that all the benchrest rifles these days have gone to aluminum bedding blocks that are not skim bedded on top of it, and are all the rage and setting new range records, probably as we speak. Looks like B/C stock value is skyrocketing due to this new trend too.

Groupies.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rost495

Groupies.

Lame retort, Rost.

But since you brought up BR guns..

A lot of record setting/match winning Bench guns have had LAMINATED WOOD stocks as well. And,those same laminated wood stocks would be pilloried by some here as "inadequate" on a "top shelf rifle".

Nothing about an aluminum bedding block prevents a rifle from shooting it's best. Nothing prevents it from being skim bedded for top accuracy, either. Even McMillans still need to be glass bedded to shoot well and as this thread shows, they STILL can crack- even when pillar bedded. Never seen that with an Alumnium bedding block. So much for using "the best".

And BTW, Mr. Mousegun shooter- No standing open Benchrest records have been set with AR-15 platforms,either. By your logic above, that must mean they are all inaccurate,substandard schit ???

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Is (or maybe was) the bedding slightly above the pillar in the action area?

I'm thinking that maybe it was originally bedded and not tightened down to the pillars (or pillars not evenly aligned). Once hardened, the action sat a little higher in the stock and the sides were "closer" than originally inlet...and like Mr. Burns said the screws could be off a bit or pillars slightly off making the screws (and/or pillars) take recoil rather than the lug. If Calvin went farmer tight on it the tighter sides could be pushed out a little as the action was pulled closer to the pillar...the outward push on the sides of the action inlet (due to the little extra bedding - result of not bedding to pilliars) caused the crack as they were seperated.

My best guess but only a guess. Whatever the problem I'm thinking McMillan will take care of you.

JCM

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Is (or maybe was) the bedding slightly above the pillar in the action area?

I'm thinking that maybe it was originally bedded and not tightened down to the pillars (or pillars not evenly aligned). Once hardened, the action sat a little higher in the stock and the sides were "closer" than originally inlet...and like Mr. Burns said the screws could be off a bit or pillars slightly off making the screws (and/or pillars) take recoil rather than the lug. If Calvin went farmer tight on it the tighter sides could be pushed out a little as the action was pulled closer to the pillar...the outward push on the sides of the action inlet (due to the little extra bedding - result of not bedding to pilliars) caused the crack as they were seperated.

My best guess but only a guess. Whatever the problem I'm thinking McMillan will take care of you.

JCM

That is exactly what I alluded to on page 3 of this thread.

It will be interesting to hear McMillan's take on what caused it.

Regardless of the cause, I agree with you that odds are Calvin will be treated well by McMillan.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things better than the clueless,pretending they ain't.

You go girl!...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have you ever seen a Ramline or Butler Creek break under "normal use"...IMO, there really isn't any comparison between a Micky and a B&C. Just by the staggering number of options available (barrel contours, bottom metal, action inlets and all combo's of same) you couldn't put a B&C in the same catagory as a Micky.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every bedding block oughtta ship with a Cough Silencer and a jar of Vaseline............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those "sheep" hunters are gonna need a defib when toten a 10 lb rig.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW! Why does everyone get so pissy!!

Calvin, keep us posted on what Mcmillan says reference a cause for the failure. An Edge is a good stock for its weight, but that is a double edge sword as it is also a weakened stock due to its light weight. I'm sure that its price does not include a built-in chip sensor that can detect a barreled action chambered for 338WM or larger and suddenly it triggers an absolute and immediate stock failure. I'm sure there is a gray area which is often crossed with light rifles using border line chamberings along with variances in production QC and inletting/bedding techniques of the end builder. I don't think there is enough evidence presented on this thread to make a definitive judgement on an exact cause, but it is certainly definitive that the stock did fail.

I think it would be helpful to discuss such a failure as this to better help those using an Edge on those light weight borderline chamberings to help prevent such future failures. At some point you push the envelope too far for the strength of that particular stock, but maybe there is a leason learned with Calvin's stock that will prevent his as well as others from failing when used on a rifle with the same or similar level of recoil.

As to the B&C such as the new 3rd Generation Extreme Weather made for SC Winchester, it would be much stronger than this Edge stock due to the 1-pc 7075-T6 chassis that runs from the wrist to forend tip. But as a result, it would be heavier and bulkier, so I don't see that as being relative. You could further say that a standard fill McMillan would be stronger than the Edge, but it also would be heavier and in a different class. These heavier stocks have little bearing on a person looking for a very light weight stock that is strong enough to work on a mid-bore magnum chambering.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've never seen an injection molded stock crack. Does that make it better too? You must feel special... Greybull's no. 1 cheerleader.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 51 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.