Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ivan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't own a scout rifle, but I've been intrigued with the idea for a while now. Ruger now has an offering:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Have you guys heard anything about this rifle? Do you think it is worth the $995 suggested retail price tag (probably will be lower though in reality)? Thanks.

Last edited by Ivan; 02/14/11.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw one this weekend at a gun show, but didn't really pay attention to the price.

Doesn't do a thing for me

Life is just one damned thing after another
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Rugers Bolts typically sell for 20% or so less than their list price. If you really want a scout how many real choices do you have besides the Ruger?

In many ways the ruger is a good choice for this type of rifle. The M77 is nothing if not tough and rugged and it looks like ruger got most of the required items right.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i love it. i'm waiting for the dust to settle and my gun fund to rebuild and then i'm gonna go for one. i have 2 of the frontier's in scout setup and love them.

My diploma is a DD214
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've owned a Scout Rifle, a custom Remington Model 7.
I have a very high opinion of Ruger rifles. Have used one since 1972, etc. I'm sure they are a fine platform for a Scout Rifle.
But you may not like the Scout Rifle as a design. If you want a very user friendly rifle with sights that allow you to see better than one can with iron sights, fine. But, as a scope sighted rifle, they can be pretty disappointing. Putting a 2X scope that far away from the eye, while very fast on target, you don't get even the "see better" performance of a standard 2.5X scope, let alone a 4X. So, it's your call. I sold mine. E

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Many thanks, RJM. That particular rifle has alot more appeal to me than the Steyr version had to me.
Much appreciate a classic 98 Mauser action. Work when most other actions fail.
Really like their iron sight design. Nice and rugged.
Rifle can be used with either a Scout Scope or conventional scopes. That's good too, but I wonder how it would balance with a conventional scope.
Didn't notice if setup for a Cling or CW Sling. But did see one on one of the tested rifles. Are they ?
A little on the heavy side, but a light synthetic stock should help that. BTW, like the adjustable stock.
Thanks again for the links. Will have to look for one. E

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I didn't think I would care for it at all until I actually held one in person. Not as bad as I thought. It could mke a decent hunting rifle. The iron sights are very good.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think that Ruger could sell a lot of Scout Rifles in 243 Win. With the short barrel, and an adjustable length of pull using different length attachable butt stocks. It'd make a dandy first hunting rifle for the smaller statured, i.e. children and women. But in 308 Win it would be more recoil than ideal for that group.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would be a helluva hog rifle I think.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd simply load it, the .308, down with .30-30 bullets if I needed less blast and recoil. 26 grs. of IMR 4227, for instance, will push a 150 gr. bullet 2260 fps. with alot less blast and recoil than the standard 46 gr. powder charges would. E

E
E
All I want is one of those rear sights!!!

S
S
I to was once bitten by the scout set up. I set up a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag as a scout set up. I started with the factory sights and had scoped it to do load devolvement--standard rifle scope non-scout set up. I did not like the standard sights, did not like the standard scope setup. I put together a scout mount with ghost ring back-up. It looked cool. It was quick to the eye and shot fairly well--but the balance was all off when carrying the gun. I am now back to the ghost ring only.

I to agree with Eremicus, the scope that far from the eye (tried 2X and 4X scopes) does something--and performance did not match that of the standard scoped rifle (4X scope)set up--I left it like this for a year and never could get use to it--I also tried a 4X scope up there before giving up on it and it was no better. It was one of those projects that I but a lot of money into and did not like it when I was done. I still have the mount and the scopes are now on pistols, so if I get the itch again--I may just but it back together and see that I don't like it before buying the Ruger. But must say the Ruger looks cool--well, so did my Marlin.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The forward mounted scout scopes do nothing for me and I can do just as well with a low powered scope mounted normally. The thing I like about the Ruger is that he rear sight just clamps into the rear scope mount and can quickly and easily be removed allowing you to mount a scope normally. I could see having a pre-zeroed scope in your pack and using the irons. Being be to quickly change in the field if needed would be easy.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
E..U R welcome. The Frontier rifles on several posts over there are mine. I have one in .308 and .358...they are very nice guns.

Idahoguy...Ruger already makes a .243 like this...it is called the Compact. They also used to make a Frontier in .243 but they dropped the whole Frontier line last year. To adjust the Compact stock all one has to do is use a Pachmayer or LimbSaver Slip-on Recoil Pad. I use one in the summer time when I only have a t-short on and then just the standard stock in the winter with heavy cloths. Also the barrel on the Compact is much lighter than the one on the GSS Rifle. All loaded up with a 10 round magazine, sling and scope it weights 9.8 pounds. The .243 Compact weighs about 7....

EFudd...you can probably buy one from Ruger. All it is is an adaptation of the rear sight on the Mini/14.

SSH...it is funny but the best balanced and fastest to the target Scout setup I have is a Marlin 1894S is .41 Magnum.

Several years ago I ran a test of Scout Rifles vs. standard eye relief scopes vs. open sights vs. peepsights. Target was an 8.5x11 piece of paper all shooting was offhand. The shot had to hit the paper for the "time" to count. The time was taken from the port arms position just like one would carry a gun while hunting. A Competition Electronics Shot Timer was used. Tests began at 10 yards and went to 25 yards then 50 yards.

Up close the peepsights and scout scopes were very close. Out at 50 yards there was no comparison in accuracy and speed....scout setups won every time.

Guns used were:

Marlin 1894S with scout scope and peepsights

Ruger Mini30 using peepsights and scout scope

Ruger Mini30 using a 1.5-5 Leupold standard eye relief scope

Marlin 1894LTD using open sights

The fastest to the target for the first shot from all distances was the Marlin/scout scope combination. And doing two shot drills it was not far behind the Mini30s. It also only had ONE miss the entire test. All the rest had several...

One day I would like to do more tests out to 200 or 300 yards and see what happens....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
RJM

Ruger doesn't need my business advice. But I bet they'd sell a lot more if they added the 243 Win to the 308 Win.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RJM
E..U R welcome. The Frontier rifles on several posts over there are mine. I have one in .308 and .358...they are very nice guns.

Idahoguy...Ruger already makes a .243 like this...it is called the Compact. They also used to make a Frontier in .243 but they dropped the whole Frontier line last year. To adjust the Compact stock all one has to do is use a Pachmayer or LimbSaver Slip-on Recoil Pad. I use one in the summer time when I only have a t-short on and then just the standard stock in the winter with heavy cloths. Also the barrel on the Compact is much lighter than the one on the GSS Rifle. All loaded up with a 10 round magazine, sling and scope it weights 9.8 pounds. The .243 Compact weighs about 7....

Several years ago I ran a test of Scout Rifles vs. standard eye relief scopes vs. open sights vs. peepsights. Target was an 8.5x11 piece of paper all shooting was offhand. The shot had to hit the paper for the "time" to count. The time was taken from the port arms position just like one would carry a gun while hunting. A Competition Electronics Shot Timer was used. Tests began at 10 yards and went to 25 yards then 50 yards.

Up close the peepsights and scout scopes were very close. Out at 50 yards there was no comparison in accuracy and speed....scout setups won every time.

One day I would like to do more tests out to 200 or 300 yards and see what happens....

Bob
............The Ruger Frontiers imo, are the most versatile bolt rifles when it comes to optics. On my 300 WSM Frontier, I use a conventionally mounted scope, a low powered fixed scout scope, and a variable EER scout scope to accomodate any particular situation. In less than a minute if needed, I can swap scopes while in the field by just unscrewing and re-tightening the base screws. The scope rings always stay on the scope tubes, which are already pre-leveled and ready to go.

And also mounted in the scout position, the Frontiers can accomodate the extremely fast to target red dot optics.

I will agree that the scouts are faster to the target and faster for repeatability.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
other than "looking" utilitarian what in the world purpose does a rifle like that serve. you need a flash suppressor to keep the bad guys from shooting you I guess. forward mounted scopes suck, the laminate stock is too heavy, plus they scratch and dent easily because the layers aren't hardwood. the flash suppressor adds unnecessary length to the gun, the 16" barrel neuters the 308 in the speed department. and who needs a 10 round 308 bolt action?? I actually think its about the most worthless unpractical rifle made this year.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My thoughts as well... Until I actually picked one up. I doubt I'll buy one, I already have more than I need, but it handles better than expected. I can see using it in close range situations where lever actions have been traditionally used. It is actually lighter than a Marlin 30-30 and with better ballistics even with the short barrel.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like short-barreled rifles of around 18 to 20 inches. I read Ruger's website about the Gunsite Scout and was not overly impressed. The barrel seemed a little short, I did not like how far down the 10-round magazine went, and the flash suppressor looked silly. Besides, I am not a 30 caliber fan, the bigger bores are my favorites. I did like the picatinny rail, the blade front sight, and the rear peep sight. I think that blades/posts are easier to hold elevation with than beads. So, overall, yawn.

Then I happened to see one yesterday at East Coast Gun Sales in Duncansville, PA. This was my first stop in their shop, I had noticed them on GunBroker and was in the area. My opinion on the rifle changed immediately. After handling this rifle, I had to take it home with me.

The barrel is about 0.55 inch/1.4 cm just before the front sight ring, and about 0.9 inch/2.3 cm at the end of the step under the picatinny rail. I say about because my calipers are at work and I am using a ruler to measure. The balance point, without the magazine, is just behind the forward cross bolt. My rifle without the magazine is just below 7 pounds.

The rear peep is not quickly detachable, but it is held in place with only one hex-head screw. The rifle came with Ruger rings but no picatinny rings.

I still do not like the 10-round magazine and ordered some 5-round ones from Ruger. I also do not like the flash hider. A thread protector did not come with the rifle and none were available for order from Ruger. The threads are supposed to be 5/8-24, so maybe I can find one from another supplier.

The trigger guard is some kind of plastic as is the magazine well. The front action screw holds a metal plate that is not part of the trigger guard or magazine well assembly. This plate captures the front end of the magazine well to hold it in place. The front action screw is not covered. Both action screws are hex-head.

The spacers are adjusted for my length of pull. The butt pad is about 0.825 inch/2.1 cm thick. There are three spacers, one at about 0.75 inch/1.9 cm, and two at 0.5 inch/1.3 cm.

The rifle feels good in my hands, shoulders well, and points well. I do not know how well it will shoot, yet.

If I could replace the bottom assembly with a Hawkeye trigger guard/magazine well and get a thread protector, then this rifle would be much better...for my tastes.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,127
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.