Print Thread
Hop To
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I am getting my son his first hunting rifle. A Rem 700 SPS Camo Compact in 7mm-08. I will be using the scope off of my 22-250 (Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40) for his gun, and getting a new scope for the 22-250, and am leaning toward the VX-3 4.5-14x40 CDS, but am not ignoring the Conquest line either.

I was thinking of using the Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts (on both rifles) because I like the inserts on the Optiloks that are on my Sako.

So, I've got some questions:
1) Are these rings a gimmick or the real deal?
2) Since they have the inserts, I'm assuming no lapping is required. If so, is this setup equal to a properly lapped set of rings?
3) Bases - I've used the Leupold bases in the past with the twist in front base, and windage adjustable base in the rear. Should I stick with this style of base, or should I go with the dual dovetail bases?
4) I would like to keep my scope adjustments to a minimum to maximize the potential of the scope(s)(am somewhat new to this concept but it makes sense to me). Can this be achieved with this ring/base/rifle combo, or should I use the bases with windage adjustments, or will I need some sort of custom military/tactical mounting system? These are hunting rifles, so I would prefer to stay away from big heavy mounting systems.
5) Or should I say 4a) Should I get a set of the Burris offset ring inserts just in case the zero offset stock inserts aren't able to "center" the scope?
6) Any other tips or advice? I've mounted scopes before, but that was before I read up on the potential "issues" that can creep in when mounting a scope. My current rifles shoot fine, but I always hope that the more I do something, the better I can do it each time.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Agar426; 02/19/11.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They are the real deal. They do not stress a scope, nor do they leave ring marks. The plastic basically swivels in the ring before tightening, which lines everything up. My only complaint is I wish they made the rings in aluminum instead.

I like the "Signature Zee" version, not a fan of twist ins.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1) They do nice things,both in Theory and Application,but could be improved upon.

2) The eccentrics are live-centered and needn't lapped. Their surface area and number of fasteners atop their caps,don't make me giddy.

3) Dual Dovetail

4) You've 40MOA available on tap ala eccentrics,to mechanically center windage and to help maximize ele erector travel. These are GOOD things.

5) Definitely...as you've no moves without them.

6) Forget CDS,go M1 and thank me later......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here is a set on Stick's favorite gun...

(zee style, burris xtreme bases)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Which goes back to item #1.

Burris fasteners suck heavy azz................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use both the dual dovetail and zee rings. I like the DD better than the zee. I just can't get over that cheesy little slotted screw they use! I prefer to use Leupy bases with the DD because they are lower. I would order a set of offset inserts to have on hand should you you need them. The offsets work wonderfully when you have a bore and base holes that don't line up well.

405wcf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Check out the super trim and very lightweight Aluminum HRT Rings.

The Zero-Cant� feature:
The ability to adjust your scope reticle perfectly vertical and then tighten the top ring caps without causing the scope reticle to rotate. A great feature compared to other scope ring designs. Available in Aluminum, Steel, and Stainless.

HRT ring info:
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/HRT%20Scope%20Rings.htm

1inch HRT specs:
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/hrt_h_1inch_DIO.htm

30mm HRT specs:
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/hrt_h_30mm_DIO.htm

Detailed instructions for Zero-Cant installation:
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/pdf/TPS_Instruction_Sheet_PDF.pdf

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've 30mm TPS in both steel and alloy.

[Linked Image]

Go with Seekin's.................

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Go with Seekin's................. [/quote]
^^ this ^^

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=rings

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool pic Stick. Yep Seekins are very nice. I want to try a set in the future.

HRTs are one of my favorites and they have many sizes available in aluminum. Thought it may be a great quality option for the OP.

But if one wanted to save $100bucks they could get Weaver steel Grand Slams for their picatinny for under $20bucks a set.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PRW's are tough to beat for the loot and mount low. Weaver cain't hang,in any realm.

The PRW's are illustrated above on the 3.5-10x M1...........

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,615
Posts18,511,779
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.